Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressor/limiter/gate recommendations?

Options
  • 17-02-2005 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Been scouring the net looking for something cheap (around 300) for studio use and mostly come up with Behringer / Alesis / Samson which dont seem to have the best of names for this stuff. Ideally want an all-in package with Compressor/limiter/gate. The RNC 1773 compressor looks hard to go past but it's only a compressor. DBX? Presonus?
    Mucho appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

There's not much point in buying a hardware compressor that's digital for studio use. Get plugins, or buy an analogue compressor.

DBX make good equipment. Try and pick up a 160A second-hand on ebay.

But what on earth do you need a gate or limiter for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gandolf

thanks Eoin i'll check out the DBX stuff then.

Alright i'm fairly new to the recording world but i thought i'd use a gate for when i'm doing overdub parts so it can knock out the ambient/hum signals inbetween playing. Actually i just had a thought; i could buy a footswitch for the VF160 and use that to punch in/out...just seems a bit more work for something that costs bugger all can do for me.

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

What kind of recording format are you using? You can't un-gate a signal, so I'd recommend you save that for post production. If you're doing PC or Mac recording, you can manually blank the hum parts in a wave editor, or use the gate in the wave editing program. This is what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Yeah. Whatever software you're running will nearly certaintly have built in compressor, gate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I like the compressor in soundforge, theres a preset called master for 16bit which is especially nice.

• Advertisement

i'm recording to a multitrack unit (fostex vf160ex) so i dont have the use of plugins, software etc. i've got a footswitch coming that i can use to punch in/out with for recording so i guess i'll just tidy up any other 'loose' noise at post-production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I use a Behringer Multicom Pro XL, although it's 90% for live work. Does everything you could ever want, gates, limits, expands, compresses etc, all in the one box, and will do 4 simultaneous channels for you. I use it for miking drums live mostly.

Behringer outboard gear is generally pretty good, I have no complaints at all about this unit, it seems very quiet when I'm doing recording stuff with it too. It's pretty cheap from the likes of Thomann etc.

Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

I'd recommend the FMR audio RNC-1773.

http://www.mercenary.com/realniccom.html

This site in america sell 240volt ones for like $200 so thats like 140 yoyo's compared to the £200 they look for them in the uk.

Once I have the money I will be buying one of these. I've used one once and I was amazed by it. Do a search on the net and you won't find a bad review about it. Its got everything a standard compressor has but its also got what they call 'real nice compression' its another mode to work in and gives near invisible signal compression. Great for doing a little bit of mastering compression.

As for plug in compressors there grand. Especially the Waves ones and PSP audioware vintage warmer but there no good to you if you'd like a little bit of compression while recording...

yo thanks for that link...yeah all the sites charge 200quid for it, that one will do it for 190euro incl. shipping which is still way cheaper. BTW you can order off the FMR website direct for 200 USD but not sure of shipping...waiting for a reply from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Cool. There class compressors. You'll be holding on to that little beauty for a while? Are you going to get it?? I will be picking one over the summer once I start working again.

What will you be using the compressor for?? That one is a great all rounder...

• Advertisement
Advertisement