Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old MBP, what OS can I upgrade to?

Options
  • 18-11-2015 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I just got given an old MBP, 2008 vintage (Macbook Pro 2,2) Intel Core Duo, 2GB of RAM. (Full spec below)

the installed OS X is Lion, i'm wondering can I upgrade to a later version of OSX. When I go to the Mac App Store, and try for El Capitan, "this version of OSX 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer". I expect that to be too fresh for this system, but can I get an earlier version on this, like Mountain Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite. I don't see them available on the Mac App Store, tho.

Any advice? Bit of a Mac n00b, so go gentle. :)

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Lion/10.7 is as high as that machine can go. The 32-bit graphics drivers were the limiting factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 WDR

Thanks SP.

Just one more query, I presume it is a 32-bit OS on this machine, so there's no point in throwing in a further 2GB of RAM if I only see half the increase?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not necessarily. I think they’ll usually recognise up to 3.3 GB.

Advertisement