Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

macbook drops wifi, phone i fine. Any thoughts?

• 28-10-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    running 10.7.5 on my macbook pro and recently it constantly drop the wifi signal but my iphone remains connected fine to the same network. Ive tried a few different things but havent had a solution yet. Will updating the OS help solve the issue? Im open to any sugestions to get this working...
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

okay so ive updated my OS to the latest version and the problem persists. anyone any ideas on what the next steps towards a solution could be?
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

okay so ive updated my OS to the latest version and the problem persists. anyone any ideas on what the next steps towards a solution could be? cheers

Is it failing on all wifi access points or just your home one? If you press and hold the option key (alt) and click the airport symbol top right of your screen you will get more detail on your connection.

Ken

so ive given this a few days and the problem is persistent. Basically at some times during the day I cant connect to my wireless network, its gets to the stage where I have to switch off wifi and then turn it back on and i will get 3 or 4 links before it stalls again. Its only with my home network, and it doesnt effect my amazon firestick or the two iphones in the house, only my macbook pro....
    any help would be great.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I _think_ I fixed a similar issue with an old laptop (never had issues with same network, but one day started getting issues). I split my network into two different bands, see here for info https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5167124

Can't recall if it did fix issue permanently as I changed laptops soon after. But check out the 5ghz thing and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Did you try what I suggested above ?

Ken

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Did you try what I suggested above ?

Ken
    yes. it pops open alot more information. what are you sugesting that i do from this point?

Okay, so I switched to 5ghz and the speed is pathetic. What are my options as I have currently to switch off my wifi and turn it back on again to get a few mins without dropping on my macbook. would getting a seperate router from UPC/Virgin be of benefit as this is ridiculous. To emphasize, my iphones/wifes iphone is very good coverage with no loss of connection.
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sounds like the wi-fi card in your MBP is on the way out. Particularly if every other device works with your router. Have you tried connecting to a different wi-fi network to see how you get on?

tallpaul wrote: »
    Sounds like the wi-fi card in your MBP is on the way out. Particularly if every other device works with your router. Have you tried connecting to a different wi-fi network to see how you get on?

Nah, its working fine on the wifi network in work.
    Any other sugestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Nah, its working fine on the wifi network in work.
    Any other sugestions?

Hey i was having the exact same issues i done what this guy had suggested and it worked

I only had to do the first part ie. move the items to a new folder

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/16/fix-wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-el-capitan/

• Advertisement

this has been resolved thanks to the allocation of individual mac addresses on all devices that want to access the wifi in the house. Working better than ever a week later...:D

Nice one.

What do you mean by that - you whitelisted those mac addresses on the router?

yeah. I input the mac addresses for any of the devices that want to use my wifi and its still working great. Thanks to all for the advice.

Ok cool. That's strange because I also white listed all my devices prior to my issue and it made no difference, you must have a different issue. Cool, glad it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

mine has gone so slow its brutal feels like dial up can anyone advise? its only on my macbook every other device is fine

Advertisement