Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Air Not Turning On

Options
  • 10-10-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, My Brother's Macbook air's power button is not working.

I took them apart earlier and no sign of liquid damage on the whole keyboard. SMC reset or PRAM not working ! BATTERY HAS only over 200 cycles and its in normal condition. Charger tested 100% working led is green.
    Now im turning this on using manual method which is shut down using OSX menu then disconnect AC Source and Battery cable.then replug AC mains which turns on the computer automatically without pressing power button.also tried shutting down when ON by pressing power button for a while no luck.what are possible causes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Glonass wrote: »
    Bump
    why do you suspect liquid damage? It either is or isn't surely? If it is then is sounds like it needs a new top case

why do you suspect liquid damage? It either is or isn't surely? If it is then is sounds like it needs a new top case

My brother has a 1 year old son and also i dont see any other issue with the computer. i disassembled the laptop just to disconnect the battery to turn it on. going to order a new keyboard on Amazon ( just the keyboard not the whole top case). havent damaged the backlit when i disassembled them so should be good.160 in repair shop to get keyboard replaced while its 25 pounds on amazon including a piece of 1.2mm Pentelobe driver plus Rivets.im worried if the problem is not related to the keyboard i might end up burning 25 pounds plus delivery.no corrision on ther back of the keyboard but i suspect there was a tiny liquid messed the keyboard contacts in some way.

thanks for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Do you have or can you get the original receipt? I just got my macbook pro back from repair from compub, hardrive replaced, screen replaced and airport card replaced all for free under the Irish consumer laws for apple, they cover full waranty (other than battery) for 6 years, my macbook is 5 years old this December. Don't be in a rush though they took 2 weeks for my repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Do you have or can you get the original receipt? I just got my macbook pro back from repair from compub, hardrive replaced, screen replaced and airport card replaced all for free under the Irish consumer laws for apple, they cover full waranty (other than battery) for 6 years, my macbook is 5 years old this December. Don't be in a rush though they took 2 weeks for my repair.

In fairness it doesn't sound like a straightforward repair if they replaced all that! FREE. - happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

In fairness it doesn't sound like a straightforward repair if they replaced all that! FREE. - happy days!

No I'm delighted with all they did, but they originally told me 3-5 working days, after 5 days with no contact i called them with great difficulty getting ahold of them, phone diverted to grafton street, was told only hardrive needed to be replaced, parts were ordered, they kept telling me tomorrow it will be ready, tomorrow, tomorrow, that went on for 5 days. If they just would have been straight with me and said 2 weeks i would have been fine, but kept saying it would be ready tomorrow. Screen was changed because of small dent on top corner, it was working fine, but I do appreciate the extra work they put in. they got paid just not from me:)

sadly he hasn't got the original receipt. by the way i replaced the keyboard and problem still exists ! cleaned keyboard connection cable and contacts dont see any rust or anything.my wild guess something went wrong in the Logic Board Using the mac book air without battery so when he needs to use he just connect it to the wall charger wait for 5 seconds and it turns on.now just 2 speakers and the main Logic board left in the computer which is causing the laptop to tilt back due to empty bottom compartment :D

Advertisement