Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBP 2011 Graphics Failure

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

OP, if the MBP was bought in Ireland, you should bring a claim against the seller of the machine under the Sale of Goods and supply of services Act 1980. You need to read the act and understand it. National Consumer Assoc. can also advise you. If you need to bring it to the Small Claims Court it will only cost you €25.
    Maybe the Mods would move this to the Mac forum instead of this forum which is for iPad, iPhone and iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

You should be able to drop it into any apple retail store and claim under European consumer law. provided you bought your mac in the EU.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You should be able to drop it into any apple retail store and claim under European consumer law. provided you bought your mac in the EU.

The EU regulation stipulates 2 years, against the retailer, not manufacturer.
    The 2 years wasn't wasn't implemented in Ireland, as the SoGA provides better protection.

Yes but as said Apple facilitates repairs through the Apple Resellers. your original contract is with the company who sold you the machine but often they do not have service centres authorised for apple products. The original seller is obliged to deal with it on your behalf, however save yourself the hassle and go to an apple service provider, Compu b, Mactivate or Typtec if in Dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes but as said Apple facilitates repairs through the Apple Resellers. your original contract is with the company who sold you the machine but often they do not have service centres authorised for apple products. The original seller is obliged to deal with it on your behalf, however save yourself the hassle and go to an apple service provider, Compu b, Mactivate or Typtec if in Dublin

And they’ll want to be paid for any repairs carried out. You have to go the seller first as they are the ones who will have to foot the bill if Apple won’t.

OP, you should contact the seller outlining the problem. If that’s Apple all the better. But you may have to go the small claims route. As whiterebel said, it only costs 25 euro to apply and you shouldn’t have to go to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Thanks for all of the advice. The machine was bought directly from Apple, but unfortunately Apple in the States.

Apple are looking into it for me now, but they were at pains to point out that American law provides no cover after 12 months, inherent defect or not. Which is a nonsense as the plug and price are the only difference between sales region. Their US support team did however admit to having personal experience of "customers" with the same issue.

Really though, a 560 page thread on Apple forums and a petition with 15,000 signatories should have spurred them into a recall notice long before this happened. Also, this fault seems to recur frequently, even when a new logic board is put into this model. Which is very concerning.

Will see what they have to say before it gets acrimonious.

Anybody encounter this same problem on an Irish-bought machine?

And they’ll want to be paid for any repairs carried out. .

Incorrect, They may wish to assess the unit and confirm diagnosis, however they are paid by apple to carry out these repairs and if covered the repair and possibly diagnosis will be free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Incorrect, They may wish to assess the unit and confirm diagnosis, however they are paid by apple to carry out these repairs and if covered the repair and possibly diagnosis will be free.

Yeah if covered. The machine is two years old and the one year manufacturer’s warranty has expired. All they can do is contact Apple on your behalf and see if they’ll cover it anyway. If they say no you end up having to pay for the diagnosis before going back to the seller.

eorpach wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the advice. The machine was bought directly from Apple, but unfortunately Apple in the States.

Apple are looking into it for me now, but they were at pains to point out that American law provides no cover after 12 months, inherent defect or not. Which is a nonsense as the plug and price are the only difference between sales region. Their US support team did however admit to having personal experience of "customers" with the same issue.

Really though, a 560 page thread on Apple forums and a petition with 15,000 signatories should have spurred them into a recall notice long before this happened. Also, this fault seems to recur frequently, even when a new logic board is put into this model. Which is very concerning.

Will see what they have to say before it gets acrimonious.

Anybody encounter this same problem on an Irish-bought machine?

Contact Apple directly 1850 946 191 explain the situation and reference the threads etc. likely they will say drop it into a repair centre, they're generally good to deal with. Unfortunately the US does not have the same consumer laws we do, perhaps one of the reasons why there is such a price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Big news!

Apple will fix your older MacBook Pro's video problems for free

I was one of the very lucky ones, in that Apple agreed at the time this happened to me that they'd cover the parts (if I paid for the labour) - but today's news is GREAT for anybody who has shelled out money for this already since Apple told me at the time that they'd reimburse my historical expense if ever a replacement programme was put in place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sorry for restarting an old thread but this is just after happening me for a second time.
    It was bought from Apple Ireland in 2011, was repaired by one of their service centres in 2013 and it's just happened again an hour ago.

What should I do, as Apple was the seller is another repair really good enough, where will I stand if it happens again in 2 years and I'm outside the Irish laws 6 years?

Happy with the laptop and don't mind the repair just worried it won't be permanent as a lot of things online are saying it's not.

Sorry for restarting an old thread but this is just after happening me for a second time.
    It was bought from Apple Ireland in 2011, was repaired by one of their service centres in 2013 and it's just happened again an hour ago.

What should I do, as Apple was the seller is another repair really good enough, where will I stand if it happens again in 2 years and I'm outside the Irish laws 6 years?

Happy with the laptop and don't mind the repair just worried it won't be permanent as a lot of things online are saying it's not.

Go back to Apple or the AASP and see what they say. If another repair gets you another 2 years that will be good going. It’ll be 6 years old at that point and won’t be up to much anyway. If you don’t get any satisfaction from either, pay 50 euro and submit a small claims application. Or just cut your losses and get a new machine now.

I spent a lot of money on it at the time, honestly thought I'd keep it until it died maybe 10 years, nearly have 5 years out of it now and still going strong well except for this, have a pc for gaming etc, I use this for work, photo editing, music etc had really intended still using this in another 5 years time..was even going to treat it to a ssd for Black Friday : (

10 years is a very optimistic I think. Apple will likely drop OS support in the next 2-3 years. And no matter how much you paid for it at the time, Apple put mass produced components in these things and after 3-4 years, some of them tend to start failing, sometimes all at once. The hard drive, the screen and the PSU went in my old iMac in fairly quick succession after a little over 4 years.

I’m typing this on a mid-2009 MBP which has held up remarkably well and which I’d love to have for another 3 or 4 years, but I reckon I’ll be lucky to get another year out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

If it was bought in 2011 why would it be out of the 6 year consumer law? If you have the purchase receipt then bring it into a authorised repair centre like compub and they will repair it for you FOC http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

If it was bought in 2011 why would it be out of the 6 year consumer law? If you have the purchase receipt then bring it into a authorised repair centre like compub and they will repair it for you FOC http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

If he gets it repaired, and it goes again in 2 years, then it'll be outside the 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

This happened to me last month , 2012 Macbook pro (refurb machine bought apple ie online), I contacted apple, described the issue, got a ref number by email, printed it out , brought it to Compu-B , and they fixed it within 3 days, no charge...

I believe the Graphics issue has an extended warranty, which you wont be told unless they fix it...

everything was going grand till lastnight when the keyboard and trackpad stopped working on boot, but after a reboot it was fine, made my heart skip , and I dont have confidence it will last much longer ...

delop wrote: »
    This happened to me last month , 2012 Macbook pro (refurb machine bought apple ie online), I contacted apple, described the issue, got a ref number by email, printed it out , brought it to Compu-B , and they fixed it within 3 days, no charge...

I believe the Graphics issue has an extended warranty, which you wont be told unless they fix it...

everything was going grand till lastnight when the keyboard and trackpad stopped working on boot, but after a reboot it was fine, made my heart skip , and I dont have confidence it will last much longer ...

If it's showing some sign of faults now I'd report it to them, shouldn't be getting any faults if it's only repaired a month ago.
    CompuB have mine, said it should only be a couple of days, couldn't resists getting an ssd for it today. 5 year warranty on the hard drive so hoping the laptop will last as long:)

Advertisement