Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email on log event

Options
  • 25-10-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I have a log file on a server (basically a text file). Does anyone know of a programme that can monitor this file and when a given string is written to it, send an email to the admin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

What application is producing the log file???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

irlrobins wrote: »
    Morning all,

I have a log file on a server (basically a text file). Does anyone know of a programme that can monitor this file and when a given string is written to it, send an email to the admin?

Thanks

Why don't you just write a cron job? Perl or PHP should do the trick very easily. Doesn't seem that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ginger wrote: »
    What application is producing the log file???
    Oracle Application Server
    Cantab. wrote: »
    Why don't you just write a cron job? Perl or PHP should do the trick very easily. Doesn't seem that difficult.
    Could do but I want something that the client can find easy to use and maintain. So ideally something with a GUI. I have a VBS that will do the trick but i'd like to keep it as simple as possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

there is a file watched componet in C# you could use to monitor the file contents.

put a gui around it and give to the client

or use the dos find command
    you could put it in batch file and put an icon the desktop for the user

Advertisement