Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need new Mac or is it fixable?

• 15-11-2015 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi all
    Firstly I know nothing whatsoever about computers
    I have a macbook from 2012
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B2A

Going grand until a few months ago. Problems are
    1. decreasing battery life
    2. Firefox slow and inevitably freezes
    Problem started when I tried to update to newer iOS and it seemed to f&*k up the computer altogether. Now back to version 10.6.8.

Thinking of buying a new macbook but just wondering is there any easy way to rescue this one...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

10.6.8, wow! You are running an (relatively) ancient version of OS X which is no longer supported. The current version is 10.11.1. It looks like you never updated your OS, ever!

Your Mac is probably fine. Just update your system software.

Make a backup first using Time Machine to an external hard drive. Then download and install El Capitan from the Mac App Store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Cool thanks!
    Tried that

And got this message
    Copy this application to a writable Mac OS Extended formatted disk and reopen it to continue installation.

Help?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did you download this from the App Store?

Yep
    So I re downloaded it and this comes up

Is there more than one install destination showing? Can you select Macintosh HD?

You said you downgraded following a previous failed upgrade. How did you do this? Did you you format the hard disk?

• Advertisement

eventually got the upgrade done with help of friend. Had to undo a partition.
    So I now have El Capitan and it's working grand, the odd rainbow circle thingy, looks like the laptop still going fairly strong. Thanks!

Advertisement