Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this performance for a Mac min

• 10-10-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was deciding on buying a new computer about a month ago and I decided on a Mac mini, I'm new to the Mac OS so didn't really know what to expect except the good reputation that they have.

I went for the Mac mini, it's one of the lower specification ones but it has a i5 processor, 4GB of Ram and it's not that much lower than my windows machine specs so I thought it would be fine to use.

I knew there was no option for upgrading but as this was replacing a 8 year old PC I thought that it would be an improvement.

Since I got it and set it up the performance has been really terrible in my opinion and I'm mainly comparing it to my main PC with similar specs.

Boot up takes at least 4 minutes, I have to walk away.
    launching an app from the launcher takes between 30 seconds to a minute it's just there bouncing.
    The internet is really slow compared to before, switching tabs there's a pause of a second or 2.
    Simple copying and pasting, I have to do it really slowly.
    Trying to locate folders is a pain because I have to wait for the finder to start and then clicking through the folders

The only programs I have installed are word and brackets,a text editor.

At this stage now it's just a case of having to go back to a 8 year old pc because it just takes too long to do things on the mac.

I just need to know is this what is expected, I bought a lower priced mac mini, that as good as the performance gets, tough or should I have better performance.

What can I do, it's only 2 weeks old.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Is it brand new? Sounds suspiciously slow - I'd get onto Apple about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Yes brand new, I'll get on the Apple on Monday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It certainly doesn't sound right, I've a 2012 Mini and it is much quicker than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

How did you get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Would have been interesting to see Activity Monitor to see what was going on. If the computer had been sitting in stock for a while there may have been a few updates that were downloading slowing the whole machine down plus indexing ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

You bought it directly from apple? I'm pretty sure they have a really good returns policy, just tell them you didn't like it and you should get your money back. Them either buy a more powerful mini or something different.

I have a 2011 mini that i use just for media and i find it pretty quick. 9GB of RAM though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I found my mac mini (2015) model dog slow as well...I'm so used to SSDs that it kills me waiting for mechanical drives to boot up or open apps,,I must delve more into the issues with it..

How did you get on?

I thought I'd update,

I wanted to give it as good a chance as I could, as I was coming from a lot older PC so my expectation was that it would be improvement on an 8 year old PC.

I upgraded to El Captain because it promised to streamline some things and I thought this would improve performance. No difference.

I went through everything with support online as they thought they could tweak some things but at the end of it, these are the suggestions he had.

I had gimp installed to use some photo editing I was told to not to use it as it would slow down the computer.

I should return it to apple and get it installed with 16GB of ram(Yes this was his suggestion)

Not to run two many apps at a time or it will slow the computer.

The apps I have now installed are Gimp, X-code, Brackets (Text editor) and all the MAC apps, if install more it going to slow down my computer.

It's just the Mac Mini 2014 model lower spec, is mainly used for browsing the internet, if anything else get 16GB of ram installed, I don't even know how much Apple would charge for that!

So overall pretty disappointed with it, I bought it going on the specs I saw and if they were in a PC it would be a great machine but in a Mac Mini no.

I think I'll cut my loses and sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I was under the impression the RAM wasn't upgradable on the 2014 model. Odd that they suggested that.

I was under the impression the RAM wasn't upgradable on the 2014 model. Odd that they suggested that.

It's not unless done by apple

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Doesn't sound right at all. I had a 2012 Mac Mini as my main work machine for 3 years. It had 3 monitors attached and worked flawlessly with Chrome running 40+ tabs, multiple terminals an IDE, a text editor, spotify and plenty of other apps all running at the same time.

From what I'm reading online the the pre-2014 models were far superior and also upgradable.

Advertisement