Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify Car part

• 30-05-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct forum. Please feel free to move mods?

Reversed the car out of the drive and found this on the ground. Anyone know what part it is ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Idler pulley / tensioner off the auxiliary belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Avns1s wrote: »
    Idler pulley off the auxiliary belt.

Thanks Avns1s. Is that likely to just fall off with the car parked? Neighbour was at the engine of his car so have a feeling it came from his car.

To be honest, I've never seen one to come off a car like that at all.

Are you sure it's off your car? Can you have a look at the drive belt which drives the alternator and perhaps power steering and see if it's still on, and if it is, is it about the right tension.

Did your charge light come on?

Avns1s wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never seen one to come off a car like that at all.

Are you sure it's off your car? Can you have a look at the drive belt which drives the alternator and perhaps power steering and see if it's still on, and if it is, is it about the right tension.

Did your charge light come on?

Just brought it for a spin around the estate and all seemed fine until pulling up outside the house and the battery light came on. I'll have a look at the drive belt in the morning as you suggest. Noticed a smell of oil but none on the ground.

Is it a big fix? Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Make / model / year of your car would help a lot.

Also did you have any belt type work done in the recent past?

• Advertisement

I personally wouldnt restart the car until source of guide pulley is found.

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Just brought it for a spin around the estate and all seemed fine until pulling up outside the house and the battery light came on. I'll have a look at the drive belt in the morning as you suggest. Noticed a smell of oil but none on the ground.

Is it a big fix? Thanks again.

OK, if the battery light as you call it came on, then the diagnosis is correct and it's your car.

The fix shouldn't be too bad. That should be carried on a hinged, spring loaded plate / arm and you should be able to remove it either to repair and fit a new idler pulley or replace the lot as the case may be.

Looks like bolt was over tightened or reused when it should have been replaced, again asking if any work done in AUX belt / Timing belt area recently?

Mech1 wrote: »
    I personally wouldnt restart the car until source of guide pulley is found.

01 Peugeot 307 HDI. Timing belt was done at 71k miles. Now 115k on the clock. Just checked under the good and the belt at one end is off the cog/roller (if that's how it's put)? Photo attached if that helps. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Pm me your chassis (vin) number and i'll post up a diagram of the pulley/tensioner.
    Its unusual that the idler pully just sheared off as clean as it did as there normally self adjusting tensioners...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for all the good advise folks. Ball park figure, how much to fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It'll depend on how easy it is for someone to extract the piece of bolt that's left. After that it'd be pretty straight forward to put in another and get the belt back on. Wouldn't be sure on part costs though.

Cheers I'll call my mechanic in the morning armed with loads of new knowledge on auxiliary belts and pulleys :)

Advertisement