Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any professional photographers on here?

Options
  • 05-04-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I have a Sony W-7 and took this photo.
    suzygoinghome.jpg

I was quite disappointed in the clarity of the trout. It appears to have focused on the
    water instead of the fish.

Any pointers would be appreciated?

Len

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

this site might help you with taking photo's of fish

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewforum.php?f=29:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 LenHarris

about every 10th water shot turns out
    the_Release.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

TheBeast015_1.jpg

joerelease.jpg

I actually shy away from water shots because most times I am disappointed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Two suggestions:

Use a polarizing filter. The metering system will be fooled less by reflected glare which fluctuates from second to second as the ripples roll by. This leaves it free to meter off the light on the subject, ensuring good tones.

The auto focus may be seeing the varying distance of the water surface and focusing at incorrect range, thus causing blurring or "soft" image quality. If you can set the camera to use a wider aperture, of slower exposure time. eg by not setting for "active" or "sport" or "speedy object" modes. Look for a "landscape" mode for example. in this setting the camera sets for a slower shutter exposure (avoid camera shake!) but in return you get a focus range which is far deeper. So that which is near is in focus, but also that which is further away is still in focus. And the receding water surface may fool the autofucus mechanism, but it won't matter since the effective range of adequate sharp focus covers all.

Advertisement