Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid Permanent TSB

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gone into the Permanent TSB in Drumcondra, the staff in there are really depressing and always in a bad mood and you have to queue for about 30 minutes if you need anything at the desk despite loads of back of the office staff clearly twiddling their thumbs. Plus the withdrawl/lodgement machine is too often out of action.

Probably hitting each other on the ass with tea trays like on that Cadbury Snack ad that was shown a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

Andy454 wrote: »
    I got rid of overdrafts, loans and credit cards, I wouldn't borrow a penny of any institution now...

Seems to me you tried to borrow 30 pennies (cents).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Chris___ wrote: »
    Probably hitting each other on the ass with tea trays like on that Cadbury Snack ad that was shown a couple of years ago.

Can you send me a Video link to this Cadbury ad on youtube, so next time I can be happy and have a chuckle.
    They may think I'm weird laughing to myself but atleast I won't be miserable and rude like them. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Certainly don't work for a bank! Treat them with suspicion at all times!

If you think AIB are better than PTSB fair enough. My fees with them hit over 150 a year iirc and they offered nothing extra than PTSB. No brainer to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do you work for them?

:) NO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

rarnes1 & duff-Man - You guys have obviously either work for PTSB or have never had a proper bank account!!

Andy454, drop the stupidity. Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean the work for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Darren Hawkins

I went into Permanent TSB O'Connell St and I got a terrible vibe. I am willing to pay AIB for a service - peanuts and monkeys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

With them over 20 years, manage and switch my accounts internally with them and have never paid fees or had issues on any account.

No idea what you think the guys you're happy to pay can do better than PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

BuffyBot wrote: »
    the work

"they" not "the"....

Now who's the stupid one? :)

I'm only posting my litany of experiences with them - I don't understand why they seem to cause so much offense to some people on here or that they seem ready to take a bullet to protect this institution.....

I have no uncertainty that I would have had the 30 cents required in my account to meet the direct debit if I'd have the 20k back I've put into the USC for bailing them out... the tax increases blah blah blah.....

My point is, that they rejected a direct debit for being 30 cents overdrawn, but left 5 euro referral fee the following month when their was insufficient funds to take their own fees from. (before I get a litany of posts its up to you to manage your finances - the account was closed at this stage!)

They did me no favours - despite their "customer first" slogans....

I found their ATM services unreliable and as recorded earlier - would be out of action just when I needed them most!

I don't use my ATM card that often - I usually use cash, so the few times I have withdrawn makes the unavailability of their atm services nearly 30% of the time I've tried to use them. I'm hardly picking the exact moment their down either - so others must be experiencing this too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I don't use my ATM card that often - I usually use cash, so the few times I have withdrawn makes the unavailability of their atm services nearly 30% of the time I've tried to use them. I'm hardly picking the exact moment their down either - so others must be experiencing this too!!

It's they're not their.

Most of the problems you listed were of your own making.
    Twice didn't have sufficient funds to cover direct debits and once not having sufficient funds to cover charges due to the above direct debits.
    I think that's why people who are happy with PTSB are calling you out on it.
    Myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Been banking with them for years and generally happy with them, wages paid in every month etc.

Applied for a car loan with them, ggotthey said that they would only lend me the money if I gave my savings as collateral!! Car loan was 7k and savings were 5k

I have very low mortgage and no other debts, and near twenty years with my current employer.

They said the issue was over a 144 Euro amount that was written off against me by a store card company which was actually in dispute as the particular store card company could not provide me with any record of the debt owed.

Went to another place for the car loan, withdrew my savings cancelled by credit card with tsb and just keeping the free banking and a demand deposit account with a low balance.

Current account is good value otherwise I'd be Gone, and if an equivalent offer comes available I will move. Loyalty is a two way street and I've been with them for well over a decade and never had a hint of a problem with debt (in fact I generally repay early)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

vicwatson wrote: »
    On the flip side, I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Left AIB last year, moved to PTSB, Never had an issue with them. Money is better in my pocket than in AIB's when they charge ridiculous amounts for fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I went into Permanent TSB O'Connell St and I got a terrible vibe. I am willing to pay AIB for a service - peanuts and monkeys...
    Sure you didn't walk in to Ann Summers by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Darren Hawkins

vandriver wrote: »
    Sure you didn't walk in to Ann Summers by mistake?

No, definitely not. The place was too drab and the staff too dull to mistake it for the aforementioned knicker palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

If you think PTSB has bad customer service try dealing with Bank of Ireland. I moved to PTSB about 2 years ago and have had no issues with them since. Always been courteous and helpful any time I have dealt with them. They even rang me back something BOI could never manage despite saying they would.

My wife recently moved to them for current and savings and again had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fulcrum99

I lodge 3,000 to 4,000 monthly with PermanentTSB.

This bank holiday weekend, my debtors were ALL late paying, and I ended up with 32 Euro overdrawn on my budget account.

My friendly bankers returned two direct debits, one to the Irish Cancer Society, and charged me €20 in fees. There will be money in the account at midnight tonight.

I don't mind paying an over-limit fee, but returning direct debits is potentially serious.

Problem is - where to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

fulcrum99 - are you saying that you didn't have enough in your account to pay your creditors and got charged the appropriate fee as per your account terms fees and charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fulcrum99 wrote: »
    I lodge 3,000 to 4,000 monthly with PermanentTSB.

This bank holiday weekend, my debtors were ALL late paying, and I ended up with 32 Euro overdrawn on my budget account.

My friendly bankers returned two direct debits, one to the Irish Cancer Society, and charged me €20 in fees. There will be money in the account at midnight tonight.

I don't mind paying an over-limit fee, but returning direct debits is potentially serious.

Problem is - where to go?

If the money is not there you can't expect them to pay out on your behalf.

Why not get an overdraft to cover such eventualities?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fulcrum99

Thank you, guys. I am aware of the legalities.

I am a long-time PTSB customer, and was once a enthusiastic recommender of their services.

I do feel that returning 2 direct debits to a value of €32.00 and replacing them with a €20 charge, on the day after a bank holiday weekend is out of proportion to the exceedance.

Surely a banking system could delay bouncing a direct debit for 24 or 48 hours if the exceedance is, say, less than 5% of monthly turnover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

An overdraft might help you. A new bank won't.

What you want is a goodwill or loyalty gesture. Go into your branch and talk to someone.

It's sh*t but all on you unfortunately.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

fulcrum99 wrote: »
    Thank you, guys. I am aware of the legalities.

I am a long-time PTSB customer, and was once a enthusiastic recommender of their services.

I do feel that returning 2 direct debits to a value of €32.00 and replacing them with a €20 charge, on the day after a bank holiday weekend is out of proportion to the exceedance.

Nothing you can do because it's all automated. It's a pain, and I've been caught out by it once on Good Friday, but the system won't pay unless there's funds there to meet the debit, and automatically applies the €10 charge.
    Surely a banking system could delay bouncing a direct debit for 24 or 48 hours if the exceedance is, say, less than 5% of monthly turnover?

A system like that would be a lot more costly for the banks and also companies to run, which would ultimately result in the cost being passed along to the customer through their quarterly fees. I'd also be willing to bet that if there were a system like that in place and your DD ended up getting unpaid after 48 hours, the charges would most likely be increased to €20 per DD as opposed to €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

PTSB dont charge for setting up an overdraft facility, so there is no harm in having one for emergencies. They only charge when you draw down on the facilty - this is far better than other banks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't dig up old threads, [as per the forum charter] especially over something which (at the end of the day) was your responsibility to keep an eye on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement