Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stilo NCT repairs

• 26-05-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I have an '02 1.2 Stilo and it failed the NCT. I'm not a mechanic but I've done quite a bit of fettling over the years (more so to motorbikes) and have a fairly sorted tool kit at this stage so I've decided to try and do as many of the repairs as I can myself to economise. I'm hoping for input into some or all of the following issues.

"Exhaust System/ Noise" - leaking cat/ downpipe at the front of the engine- there's weld on weld on weld and I'm inclined to look for a second hand replacement. The question here is whether or not I have to get new gaskets or if the downpipes will bolt off and on?

The car has ball joints gone on both sides- I know one wishbone ball joint is gone on one side and there's a worn wishbone mounting on the other side that the test didn't show up- knowing the previous owner and knowing how cheap the steering inner and outer tie rods and drop links are, I'm inclined to replace all four components on both sides and start fresh (I know I'd need to track the car too) as I plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future. The question here is whether there is any risk for an experienced DIYer to get this wrong?

"Steering linkage - Rack and Pinion - Worn" One specific question is that of the electric steering rack- to the best of my knowledge, the important gubbins is in the steering column and the rack plays a lesser role compared to a hydraulic rack. A mechanic I spoke to reckons this refers to the inner tie rods but is there any possibility in my car that the rack is actually in trouble too? I reckon I'd still like to get the steering components changed over but I wonder is there a way of checking at home whether the fail was for the rack or for the tie rods?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I don't know the Stilo at all so done a quick ebay search

there is manifold gasket at engine
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-GASKET-FIAT-STILO-1-2-/151251115734?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233744ded6

Ball joints might be better off going with a wishbone kit.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FIAT-STILO-FRONT-LOWER-WISHBONE-SUSPENSION-ARMS-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-DROP-LINKS-X-2-/130986745990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e7f6b2086

or
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FIAT-STILO-WISHBONE-ARMS-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-LINKS-TRACK-ROD-ENDS-BALL-JOINTS-BUSHES-/151118478962?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232f5cfe72

track rods inner
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Fiat-Stilo-01-Inner-Tie-Rod-steering-rack-track-rod-x-1-/160834059711?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257274fdbf

may need to borrow inner track rod tool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05XOhz67jGA

one way you can check for movement in track rods is to get someone to lightly rock the steering wheel from side to side while your under car looking for play. just make sure the car can't fall on you.

you will see the linkage moving if there is any play you will notice at outer track rod at ball joint, Inner is more difficult as its covered with rubber boot. but it should not have any play at the ball joint where it screws to steering rack.

if there is play in the rack the steering wheel will move without the outer ends of the rack moving.

Don't take my eBay links as being 100% correct
    compare prices with your local motor factor or micksgarage.com for best deal.

Its all DIY'able but you might need inner tie rod tool and torque wrench

Oh for what it is worth its best to replace both sides as whats faulty on one side of car the other can't be far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks Visual
    visual wrote: »
    Oh for what it is worth its best to replace both sides as whats faulty on one side of car the other can't be far off.

On the basis that there's a ton of stuff wrong with the car, I've ordered all of the above from a mate in the trade who cut me a solid deal I felt but out of curiosity, should one have low expectations for parts at ebay prices? Those kits appear to be for nothing.
    visual wrote: »
    there is manifold gasket at engine

I have a friend in engineering (also a professional motorcycle mechanic) who is going to try and weld my manifold. I know if it's savable, he can do it. However, he wants me to remove the manifold and give it to him. If I remove it and buy a new gasket and he tells me I need to replace the manifold, can I refit it to the car with the old gasket until I find a replacement manifold? I know these are hard to find second hand as they're a common failure and I'm worried about driving the car for a long time with the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

cantdecide wrote: »
    Thanks Visual

On the basis that there's a ton of stuff wrong with the car, I've ordered all of the above from a mate in the trade who cut me a solid deal I felt but out of curiosity, should one have low expectations for parts at ebay prices? Those kits appear to be for nothing.

I have a friend in engineering (also a professional motorcycle mechanic) who is going to try and weld my manifold. I know if it's savable, he can do it. However, he wants me to remove the manifold and give it to him. If I remove it and buy a new gasket and he tells me I need to replace the manifold, can I refit it to the car with the old gasket until I find a replacement manifold? I know these are hard to find second hand as they're a common failure and I'm worried about driving the car for a long time with the issue.

OEM parts are the highest quality and will be a perfect fit but cost premium price.
    Motor factors buy their parts from other companies that make spurious parts (copy of original) many of these companies are Chinese
    eBay has a lot of British motor factors selling online even Micksgarage sells on eBay too. The quality may not be as high but usually good enough and will fit the car. Look out for a warranty and customer reviews if its a company you have not heard of before.

I replacing Track and Drag link tie roads on my jeep and sourced tie rod kit on eBay for a fraction of the price to buy OEM. That was 3 years and 3 NCT's ago. So I would have no issue ordering parts through eBay just watch the postage cost.

yes you can take of and refit manifold without fitting new gasket but it will not seal correctly so will be noisier when driving. You get away with driving it for a while but obviously not a long term solution.

keep a eye on breakers yards as you might find one that is ok or easier to weld.

Advertisement