Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching with very little information

Options
  • 20-10-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

What other sources can you turn to, when you have no information about ancestors?
    I've got back as far as 1845 or so and am using rootsireland/ancestry/census/familysearch/griffiths.

I have no information, other than name and possible birth county. Names don't even show up in marriage indexes. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newspapers if they were of any means at all - INA, BNA and ProQuest (this is so dear its best to find a library with it). If your ancestors were able to put birth/death notices in, adverts for whatever business they were in or similar you can often find a lot of decent information here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Smaller sources like the Tithe Applotment books and trade directories as well.

But you're just at the point where most people tap out - the records dry up and it's not possible to uncover more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Txs all. It's frustrating.
    I managed to find mother/father on the 1901 census which gives me their possible birth county. Then guessed their possible marriage year by the eldest child. Then stuck....

It's annoying when you can find records for hundreds of other folks but can't connect them to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

People on here are always happy to help if you are comfortable with posting specific details of relatives. Many hands, etc., etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Me too......but I ended up checking loads of parish records in the birth county and found a few more details. Its a long long road, that parish record road! It takes patience and a lot of time if you can spare it, but can be rewarding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement