Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to play the [electric] guitar

Options
  • 16-01-2005 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Me again, asking how to go about learning summit. This time how to learn to play an electric guitar.

Heres why I want to learn to play:
    While on me' search for a keyboard, I downloaded a load of yamaha videos and in one there was this guy playing an electric guitar, which I must admit I really liked and would love to be able to play anywhere near that good (I'm sure it'd take years, but so what, its something to learn, something to do)

back to the subject of this thread, what are good beginners' guitars? I checked out the about.com's top 5 but I'm completely out of the loop as to the technology so dont know nuthin about fret boards, coils or anything else and would be unwise for me to buy something without asking someone who does know whats going on.

Beyond just buying one, is it hard to learn, I'd like to learn to play at the same time as learning the keboard but dont want to bite off more than I can chew.

Edit:
    I was thinking about getting this: Fender Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That would be fine for a begginer. It's not going to last you forever, and you're hardly going to take the stage with it, but it's cool for learning your basics. You won't need to know much about the tech side of things, and you'll pick it up here easily enough. It's not too hard to learn really, just takes a while.

You should also get yourself one of these. Join the club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I started off with a Yamaha Pacifica. I got a 10 watt Squier amp, a video, strings and a lead with it, all for only around €250. Very good beginnners guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Well how easy it is to pick up all depends on how much time you allocate to it. Never ever force yourself to play, initially you will have to build up calluses on the tips of your finger to make playing the strings less painful, but then that only comes from playing the guitar. Either way, if you are trying to start two instruments it's going to be an uphill struggle. You may grow more attached to one than the other, short of missing a finger or two there is no reason why you couldn't pick up the guitar fairly quickly, one thing i believe, is you need to want to be good at, and from that want, practice.

Haha the cheese! But it's true :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Two things you should get regardless of the guitar - a pack a 9 gauge strings and a microcube.

The 9's should be lighter on your fingers and the MicroCube is the best sounding amp you can get for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

feylya wrote:
    Two things you should get regardless of the guitar - a pack a 9 gauge strings and a microcube.

The 9's should be lighter on your fingers and the MicroCube is the best sounding amp you can get for the price.
    If I was to get the microcube, I guess that means stay away from 'beginners packages' ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I don't like beginners packs. The microcube is better than the amp you'd get in one imo and only for another €20 or so.

As for a guitar, seriously check out www.chrisguitars.com You'll get a fantastic second hand guitar for the price of a new beginners one. Plus, if you give up playing, you can sell it for at least cost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

do any of the music shops around dublin have microcubes you can try out? Prob still buy online but I would at least like to hear one before I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They all should, they all stock Boss pedals, so they'll have Roland definitely. Musicmaker for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'd suggest buying an acoustic first before you start onto electric. You won't have to worry about buying amps etc and you can pick a decent one up for cheap enough. Then if you do decide that you're sticking with the guitar move onto electric, it takes hardly any adjustment, the acoustic will have built up your hand and finger strength alot more than what's needed, and you'll find the electric easier to play. If you buy your electric first and then feel that you want to try acoustic it'll be alot harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I wouldn't agree enitrely with that Dave. A new instrument is a tough thing to take up and the process of learning is greatly helped by being able to play whatever it is you're into. If that's rock music, then an acousitc guitar is not really the way forward. Plus, if finger strength is an issue, put a set of 12s or 13s on the electric, it'll build up strength same as an acoustic would but with a felxibility of tones and sounds available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Who said acoustic guitars can't be 'rocky'? :) But I suppose it depends on how seriously how you want to take the learning. I'd always recommend picking up an acoustic first, because if nothing else it's always nice to be able to play acoustic. You'll always find something that sounds good on acoustic, regardless of the type of music you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

eoin5 wrote:
    do any of the music shops around dublin have microcubes you can try out? Prob still buy online but I would at least like to hear one before I do.

Musician Inc definitely have them. I've been eyeing one up after all the glowing reviews.
    Dave wrote:
    I'd suggest buying an acoustic first before you start onto electric.

I think it's down to preferance, I've had no problems switching to acoustic from learning on an electric.

Advertisement