Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soundproofing

• 14-01-2005 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

i have a shed i want to soundproof as best as possible, what materials do i need, and where (in dublin preferably) can i get em? Done a google and only found http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/ which doesnt help much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

there a company out on the naas road called acoustic and thermal insulations ltd (ATIL). I dont know if they have a website but they're numbers in the phonebook. Ask for philip. Hes the only one who knows what he's talking about. And also be prepared to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i would also be interested in this but i'd prefer it to be a DIY jobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Usually the best way to soundproof a room is to build another room inside it! Basically put a second skin on the inside, with a gap of about an inch of air in between, which is supposed to act something like a vacumn effect. Do this using plasterboard (and plaster over it when finished) batonned onto 2x1 timber. There is a particular type of plasterboard you can get called 'soundbloc' that is apparatnly soundproof. You can fill the gap with Rockwall for extra soundproofing, but be prepared for it to get very warm in the room.

Replacing the door with a solid wood door with rubber seals all around helps enourmously, as does double glazing any windows. In fact, here's a guide that explains it all much better than I can:

http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue63/soundproofing.html

All the materials are available from any larger builders providers, but you may need to scout around a bit for the soundbloc plasterboard.

Hope some of that helps,

Robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Eat a shít lot of eggs and tape the empty egg boxes to the wall. Supposed to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Eh, egg boxes are pretty naff. The best readily available acoustic insulator is rockwool. But knowing that is the easy part. That article is quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Yeah, rockwool is your man. But get the sound stuff, not the heat stuff. Theres a difference. Not sure what, but theres a difference. Costs about €30 for a roll which covers about 5sq meters -ish. add some batons and a load of plasterboard and theres your soundproofing. But remember that soundproofing is as good as its weakest point, which from experience is the door, or gaps around the door. if your on a budget, working around this may require some clever diy engineering.

Advertisement