Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leanto Greenhouse

Options
  • 25-04-2015 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I'm considering attaching a large 14' x 25' leanto greenhouse to the south facing gable end, at the side of my house.
    This is my only south facing wall and the bedrooms are at that end making a conservatory impractical. So I am considering this as a garden room rather than an intensive growing area. I also plan to recover heat from the greenhouse into the house during cold weather. Perhaps direct venting or thermal store.
    There are no windows in this gable, and I do not plan permanently flashing into the walls of the house or putting in a foundation, just bolting a steel base to existing concrete drive, and a few ancors/silicone to house walls.
    Just wondering are there any planning requirments I need to be aware of, or any good reasons not to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

From what you describe you will need planning permission, there is no apparent reason why you wouldn't get it. Proper flashing and foundation considerations are basic constructional detailing requirements, otherwise you may end up de-valuing the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

I think you might be overestimating the amount of heat you can recover during cold weather. My parents have a south facing conservatory and it's like a fridge out there during the winter, even on a bright sunny day. From about March onwards you might start to generate some heat out there, but from Nov- Feb it would generate very little heat, if anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

From what you describe you will need planning permission, there is no apparent reason why you wouldn't get it. Proper flashing and foundation considerations are basic constructional detailing requirements, otherwise you may end up de-valuing the property.

Thanks for the reply Tom, but my intention is that this will be a temporary structure with a lifespan of 10 to 15 years. So I do not intend to interfere with the fabric of the house. There is however a neighbour that objects to any development in the area. I'd like to start & complete this project while he's on holiday. Just hoping that by not having a foundation that I won't need to apply for planning.

I think you might be overestimating the amount of heat you can recover during cold weather. My parents have a south facing conservatory and it's like a fridge out there during the winter, even on a bright sunny day. From about March onwards you might start to generate some heat out there, but from Nov- Feb it would generate very little heat, if anything at all.

Thanks for the reply, but the structure I plan to use already exists against a different building. I just need to disasemble, reglaze and reasemble. I am very familar with the heat recovery potential, but I dont think I can discuss that in this forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The fact its a "temporary structure" counts for nothing. It's a myth that temporary structures don't need planning permission.

As your building is over 25sq m it requires planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You'd be mad to try and and put up a structure( without pp ) if a neighbour has a hotline to the council planning complaints department- you can be sure this person knows ( or thinks they know ) everything about planning regs- just asking for trouble -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

So I need to lose a few sq meters, thats possible. Theres also a rule about size in relation to existing floor area? Can anyone clarify?
    Normally I could just ask my neighbour about this stuff, but hopeing to surprise him with this.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Just hoping that by not having a foundation that I won't need to apply for planning.

As Syd has said, the fact that you won't have foundations (temporary Structure) doesn't mean you don't need planning permission, the fact that the area of the structure is larger than the limit of 25m2 takes you into the planning bracket.

Regarding the idea of not interfering with the fabric of the house, how do you plan to get the warm air circulated within the house?

2 stroke wrote: »
    So I need to lose a few sq meters, thats possible. Theres also a rule about size in relation to existing floor area? Can anyone clarify?

The 25m2 is an agregate area of all the similar types of development within the curtilage of the dwelling, existing and proposed.

SI 600 of 2001

CLASS 3
    The construction, erection or placing
    within the curtilage of a house of any
    tent, awning, shade or other object,
    greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other
    similar structure.

On Condition That;

1. No such structure shall be constructed,
    erected or placed forward of the front
    wall of a house.

2. The total area of such structures

constructed, erected or placed within the
    curtilage of a house shall not, taken
    together with any other such structures
    previously constructed, erected or placed
    within the said curtilage, exceed 25
    square metres.

3. The construction, erection or

placing within the curtilage of a house of
    any such structure shall not reduce the
    amount of private open space reserved
    exclusively for the use of the occupants
    of the house to the rear or to the side of
    the house to less than 25 square metres.

4. The external finishes of any garage or
    other structure constructed, erected or
    placed to the side of a house, and the roof
    covering where any such structure has a
    tiled or slated roof, shall conform with
    those of the house.

5. The height of any such structure shall
    not exceed, in the case of a building with
    a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or,
    in any other case, 3 metres.

6.The structure shall not be used for
    human habitation or for the keeping of
    pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses,
    or for any other purpose other than a
    purpose incidental to the enjoyment of
    the house as such.

Regarding the idea of not interfering with the fabric of the house, how do you plan to get the warm air circulated within the house?
    Considering another airvent or 2, plan to try ducting though soffit area.
    Will study your other post tonight, thanks.

Advertisement