Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

No it's not, England's game is not on terrestrial tv at all.
    Each country has a list of events in the public interest, including sports, that cannot be sold exclusively to satellite tv, they have to be on terrestrial TV. Ireland's list includes all competitive soccer games, the GAA finals, the Grand National among others

IIRC we have a list of events that are free to air because the government classes them as being of national and cultural importance. The FAI wanted to off all the matches to Sky and so tried to argue that Irish football is not of national or cultural importance :rolleyes:

Honestly cant call this. On paper we have the squad to beat them but paper-grass-played etc etc. Im not sold on Whelan yet. btw is Carsley in the squad?

Four hours....Im getting that nervous queasy feeling between my belly button and sack right now.

And around the back :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,952 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know anything about Georgia as a national. I have never seen them play.

Someone said that Steven Reid was Blackburn's best player at the end of last season. That is soooo wrong. I'm a Blackburn fan, and he was only average.

Trap is the first manager with pedigree at the highest level that we have had since I can remember.

Richard Dunne is an automatic pick for Man City.

Robbie Keane might not have scored for Liverpool yet but he has spent a lot of time playing out of position there.

I remember Jack Charlton's European qualifiers team which included John Aldridge and Ray Houghton from the old second division, and Tony Cascarino from Gillingham. He also had Mick McCarthy in at the back. These guys were all unknown to most fans of English football at the time but soon became household names and made it to bigger clubs in England.

All I'm saying is that you guys are speculating on the unknown at the moment. You don't know how much proper organisation will improve this Irish team. You don't know what Georgia are like as a team.

So give it a rest and shout for the team and forget all this rubbish for at least three games until we see where we are at. The guy who said that he'd hate having to see us beat Italy is blind. Don't you think Trap wants to beat them more than anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,506 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sorry, adult discussion here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

eagle eye wrote: »
    So give it a rest and shout for the team and forget all this rubbish for at least three games until we see where we are at. The guy who said that he'd hate having to see us beat Italy is blind. Don't you think Trap wants to beat them more than anyone?

Yeah, I agree. I've talked to a few Italians about Trap and they all say more or less the same thing: he's one of the best managers ever, but he never really succeeded at international level with Italy. I know Ireland beating Italy doesn't mean he'd suddenly be considered highly successful at international level, but I think he'll have a point to prove when it comes to playing Italy.

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to tonight. I'm really curious to see whether Trap can have an effect on Ireland playing away. Since the '98 qualifying campaign, we've tended to drop a lot of points or play poorly against lesser opposition away from home. If we can be more clinical against teams like Georgia (and Cyprus), we have a really good prospect of qualifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tom65 wrote: »

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to tonight. I'm really curious to see whether Trap can have an effect on Ireland playing away. Since the '98 qualifying campaign, we've tended to drop a lot of points or play poorly against lesser opposition away from home. If we can be more clinical against teams like Georgia (and Cyprus), we have a really good prospect of qualifying.

We were good away from home in 2002:confused:

Reckon we'll scrape a win tonight. Such an easier task with it not being played in Georgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I hope the average Irish Joe would be happy with us scraping a win in Georgia and actually realise that they've 5 or 6 pretty good players. Certainly no minnows in this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I hope the average Irish Joe would be happy with us scraping a win in Georgia and actually realise that they've 5 or 6 pretty good players. Certainly no minnows in this group.
    I couldn't care less if we qualified with a sh1t load of draws and a load of 1-0 victories with all the goals coming in extra time!!!

Sure it'd be great to be going out and berating teams 3 and 4 nil buut football is about getting results and qualifying for tournaments.

Was looking at Football Focus today and the English team are already under pressure to go out and win their match by a shed load of goals, which is silly. 3 points is 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eagle eye wrote: »

An Irish team getting to the world cup from this group will have little to do with the quality it contains - and everything to do with it coming together and being more than the sum of it's parts for the crucial games.

Lets Goooo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I couldn't care less if we qualified with a sh1t load of draws and a load of 1-0 victories with all the goals coming in extra time!!!

Sure it'd be great to be going out and berating teams 3 and 4 nil buut football is about getting results and qualifying for tournaments.

Was looking at Football Focus today and the English team are already under pressure to go out and win their match by a shed load of goals, which is silly. 3 points is 3 points.

3 points yea...but what about goal difference?! could come down to that.

typical ireland...always settle for the minimum. we have a team of premiership players and YES we should be beating the likes of georgia by 3 or 4. they should be well able for it.
    we should be good enough to challenge for 1st place in this group. the players need to get their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

typical ireland...always settle for the minimum. we have a team of premiership players and YES we should be beating the likes of georgia by 3 or 4. they should be well able for it.
    :D AC Milan, Lokomotiv, Rubin Kazan, Blackburn, Schalke... 6 players off Georgia play for those teams. Maybe they're weak in a few positions but not weak enough that any team in Europe should expect to beat them by 3 or 4. Jesus, there's very few minnows in Europe these days.

• Advertisement

Settling for minimum?! Talking about goal difference is settling for minimum. We "should" be looking to get a win against teams like Georgia but we should be looking for 6 points in total with an away win of 1-0 perfectly acceptable.

we should be good enough to challenge for 1st place in this group. the players need to get their act together.
    But our recent form has shown that we haven't been, so why start looking to run before we have even shown we can walk?

Ireland is a small nation and to think that we should be qualifying for every tournament with impeccable qualification results is just naive. Personally I'd prefer qualification whichever which way.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

3 or 4 nil wins against Georgia?

Man, get a grip, we will never be in a position to hammer teams like that. 1 or 2 nil wins all the way. Score and play on the counter and keep the ball.

Way to do it. Instead of getting caught out while 1nil up and being back to square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Right we're off. Coverage just started

I has me can of Bulmers open and ready, jersey on. Come on lads start with a win please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Jaysis our fans look like such scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Our fans are clowns and muppets, have been for years

CiaranC wrote: »
    Our fans are clowns and muppets, have been for years

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Er what?

It's true.

Fúcking leprechaun suits, red-hair wigs and Davey Keogh Says Hello flags.

Embarrassment tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well lads, here's hoping my previous analysis was wrong. C'mon Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Aye, c'mon the boys in green :pac:
    C'mon Des get a few Perlenbachers in ya and join us :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

OK not long now. Come on Ireland! :cool:

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Aye, cmon the boys in green :pac:
    C'mon Des get a few Perlenbachers in ya and join us :pac::pac:

I'm heading to the boozer now.

georgia-flag.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anyone got a decent stream? Doubt I'll be able to use the RTE online one.

Des wrote: »
    Er what?

It's true.

Embarrassment tbh.

Aye, the clever lad sticking his finger up at his mates Rovers jersey on the intro piece there now, and the complete numptys who appeared on the RTE news last night did nothing to dispel the stereotype.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anyone got a decent stream? Doubt I'll be able to use the RTE online one.

Here.

I'll do up dates for you.

Boring scrappy nil all draw, with Georgia doing most of the pressing.

The End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Come on the boys!

• Advertisement

01ire.jpg

For you Des ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Cmon Ireland get in there!!!!

3 points is only thing I will accept !:D

How many are at this, looks about 5,000 - mostly paddies

Here.

I'll do up dates for you.

Boring scrappy nil all draw, with Georgia doing most of the pressing.

The End.

Cheers but good ol Rojadirecta has come through for me once again.

Er what?

It's true.

Embarrassment tbh.
    If you say so Des.

And don't get me started on those Brazilians that have the cheek to dress up for their football matches! Pure scum! :rolleyes:

Anywaaaay, C'MON IRELAND!!!

• Advertisement

Jersey looks cool without the sponsor

Jersey looks cool without the sponsor

You never watch an Ireland match before?:confused:

Anyone know where I can get a stream of this? I'm getting desperate...

Bah the feckin stream has died.

Anyone know a good proxy that will allow me to bluff the RTE site?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bah the feckin stream has died.

Anyone know a good proxy that will allow me to bluff the RTE site?

I just found this: http://www.justin.tv/iraqgoals1

Though the RTE would be better, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

www.nccw.net/proxy

Try that one. Might work.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You never watch an Ireland match before?:confused:

LOL, yeah, I'm just sayin' it looks cool without the eircom sh!te we see in the real world :p

For a stream have a look here http://www.justin.tv/directory?category=sports worth a shot.

LOL, yeah, I'm just sayin' it looks cool without the eircom sh!te we see in the real world :p

For a stream have a look here http://www.justin.tv/directory?category=sports worth a shot.

Ah we all now you're really just jumping on the Trap bandwagon:pac:

Started well enough so we have.

Ah completely forgot about Justin.tv. Ever reliable.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Ah we all now you're really just jumping on the Trap bandwagon:pac:

Started well enough so we have.

That's me, gotta love the bandwagon!!!!! Any bandwagon will do me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

BOO-YAH !!!

1-0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

GOOOOOOOOOOAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Doyle!!! 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

great build up, cross and finish

Great cross, terrible defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,952 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well played Reid, Keane, Mc Geady and Doyle. Great goal.

Well that's a nice start!

Great goal

• Advertisement

Now comes the 80mins of frustration...or a goal glut!

Advertisement