Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland

• 03-09-2008 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Ah we'll go mad and post Georgia's probable team.

Loria (Dinamo Tbilisi)

Khizanishvili (Blackburn Rovers) -- Kaladze (AC Milan) -- Asatiani (Lokomotiv Moscow) -- Shashiashvili (Sturm Graz)

Kobiashvili (Schalke)
    Menteshashvili (FK Ventspils)

Klimiashvili (WIT Georgia)
    Kvirkvelia (Rubin Kazan)

Kenia (Schalke)

Mchedlidze (Empoli)

Certainly no walk in the park. Obviously Kaladze is the most well known player. Khizanishvili a squad player at Blackburn. Kobiashvili a regular at Schalke. Kvirkvelia a regular in the team top of the Russian league. And Kenia is the player with the hopes of Georgia on his shoulders. Only 17 and already 14 caps.

Probably Ireland team:

Given
    Finnan --- O'Shea --- Dunne --- Kilbane
    Whelan
    Reid
    McGeady
    Hunt
    Keane
    Doyle

Only possible change from the above line up would probably be McShane in at centre half if Trap is happy with him in training. No doubt he'd have started the Norway game if fit so it'll be interesting to see what Trap does there.

K.O. 5pm Saturday.
    RTE are showing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Think I heard on the radio the other morning that Kilbane has played in Irish every game since 1999. I can't remember if it said competitve only or competitve & friendlies.
    Even if it's all competitive, tis some record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

team looks ok, not great but trappa is really short on quality players imo.

We must start with a win if we have any hopes of making the world cup finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm thinking we'll lose based on the fact a Scotland team in fine form were well beaten out there last year. But, obviously anything can happen at the beginning of a new campaign so hopefully we'll avoid losing. Think we'll definitely lose in Montenegro though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

We should really be beating teams like this if we want to have any hope of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did Trap not hint recently that Keogh might get a start with Duff out? That would probably mean Hunt drops to the bench.

The idea of Whelan playing doesn't fill me with confidence at all. I don't think he's up to it. He's not going to be in the first team is he? :(

I think we can nick a win but we need a very good performance. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I'll be genuinley shocked if we win there on Saturday. Cant remember the last time we played like a team that was going places. Hope im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I'm thinking we'll lose based on the fact a Scotland team in fine form were well beaten out there last year. But, obviously anything can happen at the beginning of a new campaign so hopefully we'll avoid losing. Think we'll definitely lose in Montenegro though :(

Jesus, raise the expectation level a little bit there.

We may not have top quality players, but we definitely do have a level of player where we should go and beat these teams home and away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

LeixlipRed wrote: »

But it's not out there. That's the thing.

The fact that it's in Germany I think we'll sneak the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Heading off friday morning, gona be a good weekend and result I hope..

Hold on a minute, is Trap still looking for his first win?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hold on a minute, is Trap still looking for his first win?
    Beat Colombia 1-0. Beat Norway 1-0 before the pitch vanished. ;)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Beat Colombia 1-0. Beat Norway 1-0 before the pitch vanished. ;)

We beat Colombia???

My memory is shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

At Craven Cottage. Keane scored.

Eirebhoy is wrong by the way, we beat Norway 1-0 at football and lost to Norway 1-0 at water polo. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

am i correct in saying the last time we played georgia the georgian fans racially abused morrison and through a knife at one of our players also???
    dont think they'll get away with that intimidation in germany hopefully!!!

Yeah, knife thrown at Kilbane. It actually sliced his jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

S. Reid being fit means I think we'll win this game with ease. If he's not fit, I'm unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Gonna put my balls on the chopping board here :)

An effective 2-0 win, with a goal apiece for Doyle and Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hello comrades. Here is the probable Irish team when they face us

Given
    Whelan
    Reid
    McGeady
    Hunt
    Keane
    Doyle

Given struggles to hold onto the number 1 spot for Newcastle United
    Finnan was a squad player at Liverpool, and was shipped out to a mid-table La Liga side.
    O Shea is a squad player at Manchester United.
    Dunne is slow and may find his position under threat this season at Man City.
    Kilbane is derided by countless Ireland fans, and isn't a natural left back.
    McGeady plays in the top team in the Scottish league.
    Whelan plays for one of the worst teams in the Premiership.
    Reid has barely kicked a ball in about 2 years.
    Hunt plays Championship football.
    Keane is their most well known player, who has yet to score for his new club, and who is also derided by Ireland fans.
    Doyle also plays Championship football.

The team are a collection of journey-men and few, if any, are playing at their peak. Their defence is a cobbled together from utility men and past-its. Across the pitch, there's no real leadership, no real hunger, no great engine, and little in terms of class. We should beat these guys no problem!

----

Or maybe not. But this will be no walkover (for either side!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Through injury or plain bad management. Given at his healthy peak is world class.
    Finnan was a squad player at Liverpool, and was shipped out to a mid-table La Liga side.

Unwisely.

Anyone who isnt Brazillian will find their position under threat.
    Kilbane is derided by countless Ireland fans, and isn't a natural left back.

Kilbane is a less lethal David Healy, plays his arse off for the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah c'mon now. Came back in the middle of last season and managed 24 league appearances and was one of Blackburn's best players. If he's on form come Sat, we should be winning this game.

Elsewhere:
    Squad strength pleases Trapattoni

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni believes that his squad is strong enough to cope with the loss of Damien Duff over the next week.

Duff misses Saturday's game against Georgia in Mainz and Wednesday's clash in Montenegro because of a knee injury.

"Damien did not play against Colombia, so Andy Keogh played. Also we have other options," said the Republic of Ireland boss.

"We have good wide players - Aiden McGeady, Stephen Hunt, Keogh and Duff."

Trapattoni added:"In our formation, we can change the players, we can change to what is best for us.

"I started in this job with a particular system and I want to continue."

The Republic launch their campaign against the Georgians at the neutral venue of the Bruchweg Stadium in Mainz because of the ongoing political situation in the former Soviet state.

Trapattoni's players are aiming to build upon their unbeaten run under him, which has seen them draw with Serbia and Norway and beat Colombia.

However, the Italian knows those results will count for nothing when precious qualifying points are up for grabs.

He said: "We must play like we did against Serbia, Colombia and Norway, we have to have that same mentality.

"But we have to think only about the qualifying. Our aim is South Africa.

"Two years is a long time and we have 10 games to qualify, and we have to think about that.

"In Italy, we say a good start is half the battle."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7595916.stm

• Advertisement

He was on the bench for 3 games in row last season while Harper was given a run. That was the only 3 games he's been on the bench in years and years.
    He made 30 starts last season for Liverpool and played most of the big games. Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Crouch, Babel, Riise, Sissoko and a few more were also squad players at Liverpool last season. That midtable Spanish team had 2 players that scored against Denmark to help Spain to Euro 2008. ;)
    http://www.fcfootballblog.com/2007/10/13/denmark-0-0-spain-report-and-video-highlights/
    Dunne is certainly not slow... He's captain at Man City. 5 years ago he was 2nd to Wright-Philips for player of the year at City. Since then he's won that award every year.
    O Shea is a squad player at Manchester United.
    Plenty of squad players at Man Utd playing for top international teams.
    He played in Blackburn's last 21 games of last season. Only substituted once. He captained them when Oijer was out.

Most of the info thanks to tetsujin:
    http://www.chatsoccer.net/

I realise from your last comment that you might have been sarcastic but I didn't see it til the end and I'm not wasting a post. :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

I wasn't so much being sarcastic as making the point that, on paper, our team isn't so hot and we shouldn't be reading too much into Georgia's 'on paper' team either.

Ireland don't quite have the marquee names and big players that we have had over recent years, and those remaining from the halcyon days have a lot of question marks over their heads over form, motivation and fitness. Our supply of young players is also poor when compared to the Mick McCarthy era.

On paper, we're not any better than Bulgaria or Georgia. Time will tell if we prove to be better on the pitch.

On paper, we're not any better than Bulgaria or Georgia.
    Well if you try to pick out the most negative thing about each player than we're not. :D

Bulgaria's team that beat Bosnia a couple of weeks ago and probably the team that'll play on Saturday (their club's most recent league finish in brackets):

GK Dimitar Ivankov (Bursaspor, 13th Turkey)

LB: Alexandar Tunchev (Leicester City, 22nd English Championship)
    CB: Lucio Wagner (Levski Sofia, 2nd Bulgaria)
    CB: Igor Tomasic (Maccabi Tel Aviv, 6th Israel)
    RB: Stanislav Manolev (Litex Lovech, 3rd Bulgaria)

CM: Stanislav Angelov (Energie Cottbus, 14th Germany)
    CM: Stilian Petrov (Aston Villa, 6th England)

AM: Velizar Dimitrov (Metalurg, 12th Ukraine)
    AM: Martin Petrov (Manchester City, 9th England)
    AM: Zdravko Lazarov (Shinnik Yaroslavl, 1st Russian 2nd division)

FW: Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham Hotspur, 11th England)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,503 ✭✭✭✭noodler

NekkidBibleMan

That has to be one of the most pessimistic and plain wrong evaluations of a team of footballers I have ever seen. Given and Dunne are pretty much as good as anything you will find in the prem, I feel the same way about Finnan.

Keane, recent goal scoring speaks for itself, bad start to Pool career notwithstanding.

I don't agree with Andy Reid on the bench at all. He will keep posession and keep the pressure off. Whelan will be giving the ball away.

eirebhoy, noodler, you miss the point.

We're very quick to write off Georgia and Bulgaria, when the truth is, (certainly in my case), we have no real experience watching their players week-in, week-out as we would with the Irish players. Instead, my knowledge comes from International games, Champions League games, the odd european leagues highlights round-up and youtube. I suspect that's the same for many Irish supporters.

So, when you look at the Irish team through that same prism, we don't come out any better. My run-down of the Irish squad was definitely harsh and pessimistic, but it was (mostly) all true, at least on a cursory glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm pessimistic of us getting a win, draw perhaps, 0-0 being most likely imo. we should be able to contain them but i can't see where the goals will come from.

One its Montenagro and Georgia this week, not Bulgaria.

Also, listing the fault of a player is not exactly a fair representation. I don't think anyone is underestimating the two teams.

Nevertheless we should be capable of beating Georgia, and we will realistically have to go for it against Montenagro. A draw really wouldn't be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote: »
    S. Reid being fit means I think we'll win this game with ease. If he's not fit, I'm unsure.

Lol when was the last time Ireland won a game 'with ease'?

My money has been placed on a draw.

My run-down of the Irish squad was definitely harsh and pessimistic, but it was (mostly) all true, at least on a cursory glance.

Mostly bullsh!t I'd say.
    As eirebhoy pointed out in his post on Given, Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Reid.

So McGeady plays for Celtic? So Doyle & Hunt plays for Reading? They are still decent players worthy of their places in the squad.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to it. Times like this Im glad Im not English, Ill live or die on the Int results as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Mostly bullsh!t I'd say.

So McGeady plays for Celtic? So Doyle & Hunt plays for Reading? They are still decent players worthy of their places in the squad.

And Hunt would've been playing for a top 6 club (Everton) if Reading had of let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Smegball wrote: »
    We should really be beating teams like this if we want to have any hope of qualifying.

Yep +1 on that, not even about qualifying but we're hoping for Quarter Finals at least so we need to beating teams like this no problem. Ok we need to respect Georgia ye, BUT really it should and hopefully will be no problem. *fingers crossed*

OK there has been plently of debate going on about what team should play, are they good enough etc.

Well below is the current squad over in Germany and to be honest its is a poor international squad, the English say the forgin players in the EPL have hurt there international team, if anything its distroyed Irelands International team.

Just check the teams our players are playing now, say towards the 2002 Worl Cup Squad, i've put in bold the teams that i think are decent enough to play at to get in a international squad.

Georgia Squad
    GK Dean Kiely West Bromwich Albion
    GK Shay Given Newcastle United
    DF Alex Bruce Ipswich Town **Championship**
    DF Damien Delaney Queens Park Rangers **Championship**
    DF Richard Dunne Manchester City
    DF Steve Finnan RCD Espanyol
    DF Stephen Kelly Birmingham City **Championship**
    DF Kevin Kilbane Wigan Athletic
    DF Joey O'Brien Bolton Wanderers
    DF John O'Shea Manchester United
    DF Paul McShane Hull City
    MF Stephen Hunt Reading **Championship**
    MF Aiden McGeady Celtic
    MF Liam Miller Sunderland
    MF Andy Reid Sunderland
    MF Steven Reid Blackburn Rovers
    MF Glenn Whelan Stoke City
    FW Kevin Doyle Reading **Championship**
    FW Robbie Keane Liverpool
    FW Andy Keogh Wolverhampton Wanderers **Championship**
    FW Shane Long Reading **Championship**
    FW Daryl Murphy Sunderland

World Cup 2002 Squad
    1 GK Shay Given Newcastle United
    2 DF Steve Finnan Fulham
    3 DF Ian Harte Leeds United
    4 DF Kenny Cunningham Wimbledon
    5 DF Steve Staunton Aston Villa
    6 MF Roy Keane Manchester United
    7 MF Jason McAteer Sunderland
    8 MF Matt Holland Ipswich Town
    9 FW Damien Duff Blackburn Rovers
    10 FW Robbie Keane Leeds United
    11 MF Kevin Kilbane Sunderland
    12 MF Mark Kinsella Charlton Athletic
    13 FW David Connolly Wimbledon
    14 DF Gary Breen Coventry City
    15 DF Richard Dunne Manchester City
    16 GK Dean Kiely Charlton Athletic
    17 FW Niall Quinn Sunderland
    18 DF Gary Kelly Leeds United
    19 FW Clinton Morrison Crystal Palace
    20 DF Andrew O'Brien Newcastle United
    21 FW Steven Reid Millwall **Championship**
    22 MF Lee Carsley Everton
    23 GK Alan Kelly Blackburn Rovers

As you can see we have nearly twice the number of players then playing in good side, i know time change and teams can be in a different place now, but all the teams in Bold were good solid teams in 2002.

If Ireland as to make the WC i'll be surprised tbh, but i wuill stay behind them all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Hopefully Trap goes with Andy Reid down the left. i like to see him in the middle but it looks like Whelan will be in there for sure. It looked like we really lacked Creativity against Norway and I reckon he's the best man to provide it.

I think i'll have a few bob on Doyle to score 1st due to his hat-trick last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

You've counted Sunderland as a "good solid" team in 2002 when they were relegated in 20th position, but not now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Mostly bullsh!t I'd say.

+1......

i wonder will liam lawrence ever get a chance? he would be a good option off the bench.....

he had the most assists in championship last season and he knows where the goal is

tibor wrote: »
    You've counted Sunderland as a "good solid" team in 2002 when they were relegated in 20th position, but not now?

Knew i shouldn't have had sunderland bold :), was that not the time they finished 6th or 7th and kevin phillips was amazing with Niall Quinn?

Anyway my point was most of our squad were with good premier teams now they are playing with Championship and average premier teams :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Hopefully Trap goes with Andy Reid down the left. i like to see him in the middle but it looks like Whelan will be in there for sure. It looked like we really lacked Creativity against Norway and I reckon he's the best man to provide it.

I think i'll have a few bob on Doyle to score 1st due to his hat-trick last week

is he mobile enough? think he should be in the centre though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

pesireland wrote: »
    OK there has been plently of debate going on about what team should play, are they good enough etc.

Well below is the current squad over in Germany and to be honest its is a poor international squad, the English say the forgin players in the EPL have hurt there international team, if anything its distroyed Irelands International team.

Just check the teams our players are playing now, say towards the 2002 Worl Cup Squad, i've put in bold the teams that i think are decent enough to play at to get in a international squad.

Georgia Squad
    GK Dean Kiely West Bromwich Albion
    GK Shay Given Newcastle United
    DF Alex Bruce Ipswich Town **Championship**
    DF Damien Delaney Queens Park Rangers **Championship**
    DF Richard Dunne Manchester City
    DF Steve Finnan RCD Espanyol
    DF Stephen Kelly Birmingham City **Championship**
    DF Kevin Kilbane Wigan Athletic
    DF Joey O'Brien Bolton Wanderers
    DF John O'Shea Manchester United
    DF Paul McShane Hull City
    MF Stephen Hunt Reading **Championship**
    MF Aiden McGeady Celtic
    MF Liam Miller Sunderland
    MF Andy Reid Sunderland
    MF Steven Reid Blackburn Rovers
    MF Glenn Whelan Stoke City
    FW Kevin Doyle Reading **Championship**
    FW Robbie Keane Liverpool
    FW Andy Keogh Wolverhampton Wanderers **Championship**
    FW Shane Long Reading **Championship**
    FW Daryl Murphy Sunderland

World Cup 2002 Squad
    1 GK Shay Given Newcastle United
    2 DF Steve Finnan Fulham
    3 DF Ian Harte Leeds United
    4 DF Kenny Cunningham Wimbledon
    5 DF Steve Staunton Aston Villa
    6 MF Roy Keane Manchester United
    7 MF Jason McAteer Sunderland
    8 MF Matt Holland Ipswich Town
    9 FW Damien Duff Blackburn Rovers
    10 FW Robbie Keane Leeds United
    11 MF Kevin Kilbane Sunderland
    12 MF Mark Kinsella Charlton Athletic
    13 FW David Connolly Wimbledon
    14 DF Gary Breen Coventry City
    15 DF Richard Dunne Manchester City
    16 GK Dean Kiely Charlton Athletic
    17 FW Niall Quinn Sunderland
    18 DF Gary Kelly Leeds United
    19 FW Clinton Morrison Crystal Palace
    20 DF Andrew O'Brien Newcastle United
    21 FW Steven Reid Millwall **Championship**
    22 MF Lee Carsley Everton
    23 GK Alan Kelly Blackburn Rovers

As you can see we have nearly twice the number of players then playing in good side, i know time change and teams can be in a different place now, but all the teams in Bold were good solid teams in 2002.

If Ireland as to make the WC i'll be surprised tbh, but i wuill stay behind them all the way.

Good point but we all know the influx of foreign players is making a huge difference in the EPL. I see the current Irish side a lot more talented than the WC Irish side, i don't think you can disagree with that either, though the current team could of done with a couple leaders like that team had.

Is Keane still captain? Horrible choice for captain imo Given or even Dunne would have been a much better choice and it does make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Due to the FAI's very slim budget the Irish team will be flying out with Ryanair. Not if the boss has anything to with it. Mr Giovanni Trapattoni will not be flying with Ryanair that's for sure. Enjoy this vid, very funny. :D

• Advertisement

What was all that ACTUALLY about? Seems 100X worse than 'Luv it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

pesireland wrote: »

I dont see how, I think its fair to say that Irish players in the Premiership has been great for the national team.
    noodler wrote: »
    What was all that ACTUALLY about? Seems 100X worse than 'Luv it'.

He took over a Bayern Munich team with lazy high paid players like Mario Basler
    on the team, they failed miserably and he lost it, theres a video with the proper translation out there somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Oh to be a fly on the wall in Trapattoni's dressing room at full time if Ireland lose:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I see the Steve Staunton era has butchered a lot of peoples confidence

im gonna say a tight win for Ireland.

Jesus lads will you get a grip and update this thread. :D The team was announced hours ago. As expect it's:
    eirebhoy wrote: »

Given
    Whelan
    Reid
    McGeady
    Hunt
    Keane
    Doyle

Jaysus, Trap's efficient, game isn't til Saturday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Oh feck Whelan is playing? My confidence in the team just dropped a notch. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

i'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that trap will take us to south africa, for the world cup.....

i'm optimistic that this is the dawning of a new era in irish football....as long as the fai let him do his job....

come on ireland...... 2-1 to ireland v georgia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Weak looking midfield. :( I predict us to struggle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What no Andy Reid? I haven't been keeping up with this much - is he injured?

• Advertisement
Advertisement