Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't bring myself to consult a GP

• 22-04-2008 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

It's been over the past few months that I've been experiencing a good deal of anxiety, mostly relating to college and finance. But however, over the past few months I've been getting random dizzy spells when my head does tilt forward.

I presume this is relted to my anxiety, as it does make my heart palpatate and I presume this dizziness is from that.

Nonetheless, I cannot face going to a GP. I've been to GPs 100s of times, having a bad history with my kidneys and vision. I know I need to consult one, but everytime I do try I always chicken out and never make an appointment. I'm living in college, and there's a free on-campus GP.

I'm quite busy tomorrow, but I would see her. Do you reckon if I give the GP a ring I can make an appointment for Wednesday? I just wanna get this sorted before my exams next month:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Do it op. make the meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,503 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ring and make the appointment. Then keep the appointment! Good luck with your exams. ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah you should do it. Why do you think you keep chickening out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Yeah you should do it. Why do you think you keep chickening out?

I dunno, suppose it cause only one other person knows I'm suffering anxiety and unfortunately he's gonna be finished with colege soon, so I might not see him anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

took me approx 8 years to make appointment with my doc about anxeity.....stupid really cause it was fine and she didnt even bat an eyelid. call them and stick to the appointment. i was nervous so told the receptionist i needed a prescription besides going into specifics. whatever makes it easier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

op just make an appointment and keep it you dont have to give specifics to the secretary just say that you need to see the doc.good luck with the exams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP, definitely go and see your GP - they deal with this sort of thing every day.
    This anxiety may or may not be related to the dizzy spells you're having. It can be a case of which comes first. Whilst anxiety can make you dizzy, there are inner ear problems which can cause anxiety too.
    I'm a mod on a site which provides information and peer support for people with dizziness caused by lots of conditions. (Mods, I'm not spamming, it's non-profit and only offers support)
    It's www.dizzytimes.com - but see your GP as soon as possible because worrying without doing anything will only make the anxiety worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I never reply to topics in this area of the forums as I don't really have much good advice for peoples problems ( i'm a man :D ) but if theres one thing I know its anxiety,mine was also about school all I can say is go to your GP and talk to him/her.Theres many many options,I myself have had to deal with anxiety with school and college since I was a child and all the prescriptions I went through did help to some degree although its not a permanent solution,have you ever heard of life coaching?In over 7 years of trying to get over mine i've gone to life coaching for the past 7 months and my life has completely changed.

As i'm writing this i'm actually in school right now without my anxiety,I still get the odd butterflies but it has really helped me and I wish you the best of luck.If you have any questions at all i'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I really would like to help someone that is going through what I went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Go to the GP! Free doc = no excuse

btw it could be vertigo (main symptom of this is dizziness, loss of balance). I got dignosed with this 2 years ago and it was brought on by stress. Apparantly it's quite common. A course of tablets got rid of it, it only came back once more but went very quickly. When I first got it though I initially had intermittent dizzy spells like you, then one day in work it hit me like a bolt ( tried to tand up after eating my lunch and fell over!), was bed ridden for 5 days (when I had to get up I had to hold onto the walls when walking)...

The fact that you have a medical history means you must go to the GP and the sooner the better.

good luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Think like an American for a second: Its FREE. You are compelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

goldfish007, you can't give advice like that over the internet. You are focusing on one symptom, to the detriment of all others. That is unprofessional.

I know someone who went to the doctor with a headache on Friday and had to have brain surgery on Monday.

Advertisement