Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed: Wet room without tiles

• 23-04-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is renovating an old cottage as a retirement home so she wants to make is as mobility friendly as she can for her later years. So she is going for a wet room rather than a shower tray, with the usual mosaic tiles in the shower area. However she is dead against a tiled floor in the rest of the bathroom, she finds them cold in barefeet and is worried about slipping on them when wet. She is considering laminate. But her builder and plumber are telling her to cop on and get tiles as there is no way of sealing the join between the mosaic tiles and the laminate, or between the walls and the laminate.

I have two questions and would appreciate any suggestions:

1. Is there any other option she should look at apart from tiles or laminate?

2. Is there some way of creating a waterproof seal between the mosaic tiles and a non-tiled floor? ( Even some kind of rubber/plastic strips)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For the "Slipping" issue use tiles that have a min r11 slip classification. These type are specified in wet room adaptation grants for elderly people.

For the "cold" issue you can use electric under floor heating mats in the bathroom alone, just switch on as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You can use a resin floor and wall system. We put it in a disabled shower in a hospital as its far easier to clean than tiles and slip resistant vinyl. No joints anywhere so it's very hygienic. That was a few years ago and since I've put it in several other projects. It works really well and I'm planning to do the same in my own house later this year/early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Both replies are much appreciated.

Dudda would you have any links to companies supplying the resin system or would you know of anyone who does it in the Galway area that you could PM on to me?

Advertisement