Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing overtime

Options
  • 04-12-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can i be made to work over time.

i work on 48hr blocks (4×12)and likewise off and paid fortnightly. So some pay packets will have 1 week 36 hrs and 2nd wk 48hrs or it could be 36hrs or 48hrs for the 2 of them.

anyway its coming up to the Xmas and i said i didn't want OT as i for a change have the main nights off. To cover the shifts OT has to be done over xmas and 2 lads don't mind doing it but they have a lot.

my manager has queried this and asked my supervisor why i haven't been put down for any and he explained. The manager isnt happy about this and said she'll be referring this to her boss to contact me as I'll be only working 2x36hr weeks due to the way the 48hr blocks end.

The 2 lads doing the OT are also on a higher rate so will be paid a higher OT rate.

If I'm told i have to work the OT does anyone know if i can say no.

Sorry for the long winded confusing post. i hope it's understood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It depends on your contract.

Most contracts have some wording about "reasonable overtime".

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Only thing on contract is "in the unlikely event you are asked to work over 39 hrs you will be paid time and a half"

as it says asked im thinking i would have a choice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

Legally they cannot make you work more than 48hrs, But if you agree to work more it is not illegal.
    Companies have always skimmed the line here, always say you have personal issues, rather than simply saying "I don't want OT"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

DoomZ wrote: »
    Legally they cannot make you work more than 48hrs, But if you agree to work more it is not illegal.
    Companies have always skimmed the line here, always say you have personal issues, rather than simply saying "I don't want OT"
    No; it's an average of 48h a week over 4 months. The OP is doing a shift rotation that only means some weeks are 48h so there's definitely room for legal overtime here. Secondly the 48h average can't be exceeded; it can only be extended to 6 months (certain sectors) and up to 12 months (with labor courts approval) which is outlined here.

Finally to OPs question it depends on your contract but most standard templates would include a clause about working additional hours if the business requires it in some form.

Advertisement