Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sligo Rovers vs Bohemians - Match Preview

• 04-09-2008 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Sligo Rovers welcome Bohemians all the way up from Dublin, Friday evening at 8pm in the Showgrounds, Sligo.

Sligo have a good team who play attractive attacking football. They pass the ball very well and are strong in all parts of the team. They have lost a good few players and had finance trouble but it doesn't seem to affect them.

Bohs have some injury problems but have signed a gem in Kalanos, a Lithuanian International who has stepped up to the standard of the LOI.

This is a difficult match for Bohs, make no mistake about it. Sligo have a great chance of getting something from this game.

Last 3 Head to heads there:
    Sligo 1 Bohs 2
    Sligo 2 Bohs 1
    Sligo 1 Bohs 0

It should be a very close match, the last time that either of these won/lost by 2 goals against each other at Sligo was pre 1998.

I will sit on the fence with a 2-2 draw prediction. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Each club has had 180 minutes to try it but none have scored more than 1 goal against us in the league yet, we beat Sligo 3-0 in Dalymount last time out, a draw wouldnt be the end of the world but we should be strong enough to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

bohsman wrote: »
    Each club has had 180 minutes to try it but none have scored more than 1 goal against us in the league yet, we beat Sligo 3-0 in Dalymount last time out, a draw wouldnt be the end of the world but we should be strong enough to win.

What's the team news Bohsman, whos out? Anybody back from injury?

O'Donnell and Deegan suspended, Kalonas is on international duty. Assuming McGuinness and Oman are still out Id say itll look something like

Murphy
    Rossiter O Heary Burns Powell
    A Murphy T Heary Joxer Brennan
    Fenn Crowe

Alternatively Rossi could go centre mid with one Heary centre half and the othe right back.

Anto Murphy should be back from suspension aswell, should go straight in at right mid.

O'Donnell and Deegan suspended, Kalonas is on international duty. Assuming McGuinness and Oman are still out Id say itll look something like

Murphy
    Fenn Crowe

Alternatively Rossi could go centre mid with one Heary centre half and the othe right back.

Anto Murphy should be back from suspension aswell, should go straight in at right mid.

Thats a weak Bohs team imo :o

The defense looks ok although Heary is no CB.

Joxer should be down the right wing.

Heary has been immense at centre back the last month or so, Joxer is an attacking centre mid, hes been forced onto the wing and is struggling to make the starting line up when we're at full strength. Its a weak line up but Sligo have lost so many players over the last season, they showed against Pats that they just havent got anything going forward, they could hold us to 0-0 but cant see them scoring 2.

Our strongest starting 11 is probably

Murphy
    O Heary Oman/McGuinness Burns Powell
    A Murphy/Joxer Deegan O'Donnell Brennan
    Kalonas/Fenn Crowe

Very difficult to call at centre half, right wing and up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

3-0 isnt exactly the whole story of that match in fairness is it?
    Jim McLaughlin was doing the radio and he reckoned Sligo played ye off the park for most of the game playing football he hadnt seen in Ireland in years
    (half that team gone now im afraid)
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0530/bohemians_sligo.html

Bohs took the lead in the 15th minute, Sligo all over us in the 2nd half till we got a penalty in the 82nd minute, third goal followed shortly after, comfortable enough in the end, especially with Murphy in goals, http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0530/bohemians_sligo.html

Sligo all over us in the 2nd half till we got a penalty in the 82nd minute,

comfortable enough in the end

What for the last 8 mins?:D

elshambo wrote: »
    What for the last 8 mins?:D

Yea :D

In fairness we've had a lot of narrow wins all season, Fenlon likes sitting on a lead.

Yea :D

In fairness we've had a lot of narrow wins all season, Fenlon likes sitting on a lead.

What?, never! David O'Fenlon or is that Nuttser O'Leary?
    He also likes spending clubs into the ground buying identkit players

"il have 3 rm's who are the exact same of the bottom shelf
    2 lm's of the middle shelf, if they could look like/sound like each other that would be great
    and 17 Cf's off the top shelf please

Pay?
    Stick it on the card!"

I hope yer board start to stick up to him and learn to say NO or HE WILL do a shels on ye and unlike shels and shams having spent 5 yrs in D7 id have a soft spot for Bohs (or at least i did until they tapped up a dose or Sligo Rovers players a couple of years ago)

ps. Glad none of them worked out for ye:D, well except for burnsie

2-1 rovers, dodgy peno in injury time to make up for the 2 in in the last 2 mins last week :D

• Advertisement

Anto Murphy looks good too, Id be fairly sure our wage bill is lower now than it was when he took the job, Deegan is looking like the signing of the season, I doubt he is on big money. Fenlon can only spend what the board give him, not his fault el boards throw money around.

Anto Murphy looks good too, .

Fenlon can only spend what the board give him, not his fault el boards throw money around.

a ya but ye didnt tap him up;)

Ive never bought the "not the managers fault bit" its a bit like a women who burns through credit cards and her friends blame the husband for the fact that he kept clearing the debt

Difference between Benetez and Wenger looking for money while their clubs are/were in jockers building stadiums etc

Its up to the board to say no BUT if you know it isnt really their you shouldnt go looking for it either!?

rovers 3-1, 2 dodgy penos!

Heary has been immense at centre back the last month or so, Joxer is an attacking centre mid, hes been forced onto the wing and is struggling to make the starting line up when we're at full strength. Its a weak line up but Sligo have lost so many players over the last season, they showed against Pats that they just havent got anything going forward, they could hold us to 0-0 but cant see them scoring 2.

Our strongest starting 11 is probably

Murphy
    O Heary Oman/McGuinness Burns Powell
    A Murphy/Joxer Deegan O'Donnell Brennan
    Kalonas/Fenn Crowe

Very difficult to call at centre half, right wing and up front.

Im very surprised that you rate Crowe and maybe Fenn higher than Kalonas :confused:

This weekend gives Pats a good chance to close the gap imo

elshambo wrote: »
    What?, never! David O'Fenlon or is that Nuttser O'Leary?
    He also likes spending clubs into the ground buying identkit players

"il have 3 rm's who are the exact same of the bottom shelf
    2 lm's of the middle shelf, if they could look like/sound like each other that would be great
    and 17 Cf's off the top shelf please

Pay?
    Stick it on the card!"

I hope yer board start to stick up to him and learn to say NO or HE WILL do a shels on ye and unlike shels and shams having spent 5 yrs in D7 id have a soft spot for Bohs (or at least i did until they tapped up a dose or Sligo Rovers players a couple of years ago)

ps. Glad none of them worked out for ye:D, well except for burnsie

2-1 rovers, dodgy peno in injury time to make up for the 2 in in the last 2 mins last week :D

:D

I have no confidence in Fenlon whatsoever. People talk about his record but forget about the fact taht he took half the team from his main rival club at Shels. :pac:

Kalonas is still settling in, he looks decent but we'll see how it goes - he sees himself as a centre mid btw , Crowe has been doing it for years the goal against Cork shows what hes all about, Fenn is a different class when he turns it on, if he had pace hed be in the premiership.

Wouldnt mind seeing something like

.............Murphy
    O Heary Oman Burns Powell
    .............Deegan
    Kalonas Joxer/Fenn Brennan
    ...........Crowe/Byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Murphy
    Fenn Crowe

I'd say you're fairly spot on there, except Fenlon loves Jason Byrne and I think he's likely to start him. Possibly on the right wing. If he does, Anto Murphy can play centre mid, or more likely right back, with Joxer either being dropped (if Byrne starts, as I suspect), or moving to right mid.

He could move Murphy to right back, Rossi to left full and drop Powell either. Or even play Rossi in midfield and move T. Heary or Anto Murphy to right full (don't expect this to happen). Of course T. Heary could end up playing centre half either.

It's all pretty confusing, thinking of who can play right mid, right back, centre mid and centre half!

I'd say it'll be:

Brian Murphy

A. Murphy O. Heary L. Burns C. Powell

J. Byrne T. Heary M. Rossiter K. Brennan

N. Fenn G. Crowe

Actually, I'm really undecided. Probably Rossi and Anto should be swapped in the above. Could certainly see Rossi ending up left full, and Joxer coming in, Powell dropping to the bench. Nutsy could throw Byrne up front though with Kalonas out, so who knows. Glad I don't have the selection headache, my head hurts just thinking about how we're going to line out.

I know we're on a great run, but I'd take a draw now to be honest, with Pats on Monday. Pressure will be on them to beat us, so it's important to go into it with out unbeaten run intact.

It'd worry me that we don't really have a striker to bring off the bench if he does start Byrne right wing, but I'd be happy to see Joxer get a game.

Bohs 'Til I Die!

Yea, was getting confused thinking about it aswell, had forgotten about Murphy playing right back, theres also Brendan McGill who could come in on the right wing leaving Byrne or Fenn on the bench.

1-0 Bohs, Brendan McGill.

Another comfortable win for Bohs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

13 points looks pretty comfy to me.
    Re Kalonas ... he was on international duty. Would have thought that might inform the pre-match discussion.
    Apart from go play on what the Irish football establishment regards as the mainland, what does Brian Murphy need to do to get his call-up for his country?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Heard Brian Murphy was MOTM last night.

Boh's fan i know says he was unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dont think O Donnell is up to it at all, to anyone who had them in their bohs favourite lineup. Goes missing and doesnt show for the ball enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SectionF wrote: »
    Apart from go play on what the Irish football establishment regards as the mainland, what does Brian Murphy need to do to get his call-up for his country?

You've said it yourself.

unless he takes the magic flight, he won't near an Oirland jersey.

Fúck them tbh. Let them have their Dean kiely's and their Paddy Kenny's and their Rudloph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

If he went to play for Rushden & Diamonds tomorrow, they'd give him a cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »
    Fúck them tbh. Let them have their Dean kiely's and their Paddy Kenny's and their Rudloph.

Des, its still our country. No need for that. I feel your pain man but "fuuck them" thats a bit much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just a slightly o/t question but is this the most consistent season by a LOI team ever?

Trilla wrote: »
    I dont think O Donnell is up to it at all, to anyone who had them in their bohs favourite lineup. Goes missing and doesnt show for the ball enough

Ive found him fairly solid, considering Fenlon is always going to play 2 defensive midfielders he gets in ahead of injury prone Cronin. Id love to see Fenn or Kalonas sitting in behind the front 2.

On the consistency, I believe we've only conceded 1 goal in our last 12 games, fairly impressive.

Elshambo as I said we've been grinding out victories all season.

On the consistency, I believe we've only conceded 1 goal in our last 12 games, fairly impressive.

Elshambo as I said we've been grinding out victories all season.

Was it comfortable?:D

As for 1 in 12, i was behind nuttser, even he knew our "goal" was a good un!

+there was a bohs hand in the melleee so should have been at least a peno

Game went as i thought it would, at start of season during our first game
    I told a mate ye would stroll the league, physically to strong for anyone else

Brennan is a footballer!

Bohsman, does the man stand for ManU? cause you sure post like your typical ManUre fan:eek::D

I was a Utd fan till 99, still have a soft spot for them alright, at least Im not posting like a Liverpool fan, that would be depressing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement