Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass through guitar amp?

• 14-01-2005 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

Is it okay? I know it won't sound as good as a bass amp but could it damage the speaker or valve or is it safe enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I wouldn't push the amp hard and avoid doing it at all if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

AFAIK, there is no problem with using a guitar amp for bass, but DONT use the speaker(s) cos they will blow with the low frequencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Basically it's not worth the bother. You'd have to change the speakers, and playing through a guitar amp means the EQ won't have the range to deal with the bass's frequencies and it'll sound like muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Right I'm going to stop doing that so. Don't want to damage my amp. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

• Advertisement

I have the bass plugged into my Boss ME-50 and that hooked up to my stereo and it's working well.

I would just buy a bass amp but I'm a bit poor at the moment. :D

I'd imagine that's worse! I'm not too sure how safe it is to run bass through a stereo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

NotMe wrote:
    I have the bass plugged into my Boss ME-50 and that hooked up to my stereo and it's working well.

I would just buy a bass amp but I'm a bit poor at the moment. :D

How does it sound? I'm kinda interested in doing that. Although I did just sell my bass...

I wouldn't think running it through your hifi is a good idea. Bass speakers are generally much bigger and heavy duty than hifi speakers. I think dabhoys damaged his hifi speakers using something far less powerful through them. If you can't afford a bass amp, just play it unplugged for now, you'll have to buy new speakers if you keep playing your bass through them.

It sounds okay. I imagine it would be safe enough because the signal is coming from the line/phones output on the ME-50. It's designed for headphones so it's not likely to damage the stereo speakers, is it?

I like the setup because I can plug my mp3 player or laptop into the ME-50 aswell to play along with songs or midi backing tracks, and have all the sound come out of my stereos speakers.

• Advertisement

Yeah but dont forget that the ME-50 is not designed for bass.

NotMe wrote:
    It sounds okay. I imagine it would be safe enough because the signal is coming from the line/phones output on the ME-50. It's designed for headphones so it's not likely to damage the stereo speakers, is it?

Oh right, I thought you were running straight out of it. That should be fine, I've used my stereo like that before while recording bass to MD. I just noticed that it was you (NotMe, hehe) that was posting, how is the bass going apart from speaker confusion?

I was wondering about that. Does the ME-50 output a signal that can be used for straight into a PA or is it a guitar amp signal???

Yeah but dont forget that the ME-50 is not designed for bass.

I don't think that'll make much of a difference, there's no speaker in an ME-50. The worst I can think of happening is the tone not sounding quite right. I've used lots of guitar effects in the past without damaging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if its a small amp its fine. i play bass thru a little 25watt guitar combo all the time with no pbobs,

I used to play bass through my little 15W Ibanez. Nearly blew it up :D

John2 wrote:
    Oh right, I thought you were running straight out of it. That should be fine, I've used my stereo like that before while recording bass to MD. I just noticed that it was you (NotMe, hehe) that was posting, how is the bass going apart from speaker confusion?
    Ah it's ok. I managed to lower the action a bit. I like playing bass (when I should be studying for exams next week:() and I can see myself buying a proper bass and amp in the future.
    feylya wrote:
    I was wondering about that. Does the ME-50 output a signal that can be used for straight into a PA or is it a guitar amp signal???

It does both. It has line out and it has left and right guitar amp outputs.
    ferdi wrote:
    if its a small amp its fine. i play bass thru a little 25watt guitar combo all the time with no probs,
    65W Laney. I'm not gonna risk damaging it. :D

NotMe wrote:
    It does both. It has line out and it has left and right guitar amp outputs.

Funktacular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I like the Line 6 flextones, good bass distortion on that insane mode.

Advertisement