Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which shops & brands in Dublin for...

• 08-05-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I would like to have some advice about SHOP and bike BRANDS for a bike as follow:

- ENTRY level "race bike" (but not a crap), (anyway I will not participate to races, I am a beginner)
    - DROP bar
    - thin tires
    - possibly light frame

- budget: around 600 - 700 Euro

According to these features I think that I should go for a "race bike"...

Which SHOPS and BRANDS can you suggest me???

Thanks a million guys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Carrera TDF in halfords then spin down to cycle superstore to get the rest of the stuff with a 10% discount.

Id be buying second hand though or online if I was savvy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nearly evrey bike shop in Dublin will have something that fits in that category. What part of Dublin are you in?
    Id be buying second hand though or online if I was savvy.
    Second hand is definitely the way to go if your looking for value but only if you feel confident about what you are looking for/at. Online rarely presents much of a saving over a LBS anymore IMO for a begineer, most will come close, give a general bike fit and at least one decent bike service, some offer alot more. You will also find if you start spending more, you will get good value as a repeat customer eg free fitting of parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 makistb

I live in the city center, but it is not a problem go aroud the city for a good shop.

I wouldn't buy a second hand because I am not an expert...
    I will buy the bike with the Cycle to Work program, so it has be a physical shop (not online).

Can u suggest me some good shops (there are 1000 bike shop in Dublin, but i have no time to go in all of them) around the city center and some good brand that i should look for?
    Or u could suggest me which brands I should AVOID, if it is easier....

Thanks

makistb wrote: »
    I live in the city center, but it is not a problem go aroud the city for a good shop.

I wouldn't buy a second hand because I am not an expert...
    I will buy the bike with the Cycle to Work program, so it has be a physical shop (not online).

Can u suggest me some good shops (there are 1000 bike shop in Dublin, but i have no time to go in all of them) around the city center and some good brand that i should look for?
    Or u could suggest me which brands I should AVOID, if it is easier....

Thanks

No real brand that you should avoid as a beginner but post up what you like if you want opinions. My two favourite shops are Fitzcycles in Stillorgan (have a nice selection that are not all the same big brand names you get in every other shop so they stand out but are exceptional quality) and ThinkBike in Rathmines (really customer orientated, big push for keeping customers happy and coming back, great after sales service, open early and close late for commuters to get in).

Better questions would be how much do you think you will do per day and do you think you will be increasing to leisure cycling at the weekends if it all goes well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

makistb wrote: »

There is no restriction on buying online with the Cycle to Work program itself. Maybe your employer has made that stipulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 makistb

These are the shops where I can go.

bikeit.ie/?page_id=1114

So... until now there are no suggested brand and no suggested shop....
    but some good advice, thanks :)

Come on guys!!! :P

Here are the ones from that list that I know and would recommend:
    Cycle Inn - big MTB guys, nice and have a good selection, always happy to take the time to talk through things
    Cycle Superstore - big store, generally good value, in line with other online retailers
    Freeman Bikes - got my first second hand bike here, small old school LBS, not sure on the selection nowadays though
    Greenaer - nice friendly guys, co-workers use them alot, very honest, to the point where being honest often talk them selves out of business but I take that as a good customer service sign
    Joe Dalys - established as one of the oldest, reliable bike shops in Dublin, always happy to help whenever I have called in
    McDonalds Cycles - friendly guys, good advice, seem to be good at finding out what you really need, not just what you think you need.
    Mikes Bikes, SCD - good servicing, knows their stuff
    Think Bike - as described in my previous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Humphries 018342170
    Mc Kee Road, Finglas, Dublin 11 Dublin

These guys get my vote

Advertisement