Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank O Rourke Memorial 2014

• 28-04-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

First of our 2014 offerrings:

The Frank O Rourke Memorial 2014

A1/A2, A3/Junior, A4 and Underage.

http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/about/

kindest regards Michael Noonan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Thanks Michael

Can you pay on the day yea? (not just online registration). Assume so but just double checking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

No Panic, Yes you can pay on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

michael196 wrote: »

Best of luck with this Michael.Team wav will be absent this year as Mrs wav has insisted the minis knuckle down to pre leaving cert study.Always enjoy this race and have great memories of last yr in Camross.A rumour mill has told me you're going to be joining our ''crew''in a few weeks??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you pre-enter, do you still need to sign-on on the day?

yes Vladamir, Sign on still required on the day.

not a requirement to pre register on line , we are just making admin a little easier for the day.

• Advertisement

wav1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with this Michael.Team wav will be absent this year as Mrs wav has insisted the minis knuckle down to pre leaving cert study.Always enjoy this race and have great memories of last yr in Camross.A rumour mill has told me you're going to be joining our ''crew''in a few weeks??

Yes Ger,

looking forward to the job. you will have to introduce me to the other crew members !!

folks have taken a job driving the broom for the RAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Wish you'd move this to the Saturday or the Monday Michael so I could do it.

Slo

the road is confirmed clear and free on saturday and monday just for urself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

the road is confirmed clear and free on saturday and monday just for urself.

Is there online reg for that? How many points for placing? What is the prize money like? Is there one day licences? Is it handicapped? Etc :-)

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Is there online reg for that? How many points for placing? What is the prize money like? Is there one day licences? Is it handicapped? Etc :-)

We will get a pic of you crossing the finish line with no one else anywhere near u,. Will leave sandwich on the window sill for you and a euro underneath the plate.

you need to put a tyre skid mark accross the line as a kind of signiture so that we know you have been. !!

u get all the points for all the positions , = A1 by tuesday for you.

• Advertisement

on a serious note:

Categories filling nicely accross the senior races.

Pre-On line registration is not a necessity.

Just helps us with the sign on process on the day

Turn up on the day, no problem.

Sign on on the day is still required.

Significant Ladies interest accross A3 and A4.
    ( Wexford two day is the venue for the last of the ladies race Series in august )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

How many laps Micheal - 4 for A4, 5 for A3, 6 for A1/2???

we do a half lap starting off, straight out onto main road.

so the first lap is a half lap of 11.6 km

then three laps for A4 = (22 x 3) +11.6 = 79 K

A3 is 4 laps , = 22 x 4 = 88 +11.6 = 100K

and A1/A2 is 5 laps: 5 x 22 = 110+ 11.6 = 120 K

Circuit illustrated here :

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1140140

All Categories continuing to fill up.

Online registration will remain open untill 8 am on sunday 04 may

ON the day registration is still possible afterwards at the Race HQ.

ON the day sign on required for all

Thank you to boards.ie for supporting the publicity of this race.

Current Registrations:

AC Bisontine
    Barrow Wheelers CC
    Blanch Wheelies
    Commeragh Cycling Club
    Dungarvan Cycling Club
    Iverk Produce Carrick Wheelers Cycling Club
    Kells Angels
    Kilmallock Cycling club
    Laois CTC
    Lucan Cycling Road Club
    Marble city cyclers
    McNally Swords CC
    Orwell Wheelers
    Racing 795
    Rothairi Loch Garman
    Shannonside cc planet x
    SLANEY CYCLING CLUB
    South East Road Club
    St. Tiernan's CC
    Swords CC
    Team Bikeworx
    Tipperary wheelers
    Un-Attached Leinster
    VELO REVOLOUTION
    Waterford Racing Club
    Wexford Wheelers

The Frank O Rourke Memorial 2014 welcomes the recent Gorey three day 2014 winner Mark Reilly, Lucan CRC to the A1/A2 Race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The Frank O Rourke Memorial 2014 welcomes the recent Gorey three day 2014 winner Mark Reilly, Lucan CRC to the A1/A2 Race.

He got second - beaten in a sprint to the line.

A4 race was good, if a bit too tactical. First half lap I sat in and had a look to see what was happening. First proper lap I managed to get into an ok position for the hill to give myself a bit of slide room. There was a crash behind me just after the left turn nr Adamstown but I didn't see who went down. I then bridged across to a break on the N25 but it didn't stick as we were soon caught. Second lap I held on to the group on the hill (just about) but had done too much before that coming into the start/finish area and was feeling it in the legs. Just after the left turn nr Adamstown where an A4 had crash previous lap a bunch of A3's were sat on the bridge and an ambulance was in attendance (hope everyone is ok). On the N25 I went again but was closed down straight away. Inquitus came past me and I let him go to see if anyone wanted to form a group and have a bit of a go. No one followed him and eventually I moved up so he could have a rest. Pretty negative stuff really. I then stuck in the group doing very little for the rest of the lap to the climb.

Third time over I got gapped but worked my was back within a few seconds when there was a crash just in front and I had to stop and unclip. Managed to catch a few up but was never going to catch the group after stopping. Worked well down the N25 and home with a lad from Tiernans (daragh_) who led me out for my own sprint finish to round off a good workout.

Heard a few people saying the race was very negative but if hardly anyone tries to make a break or tries to organise something then it's always going to end in a sprint. There was enough hills there to break the field up if someone was prepared to put the hard work in. Good to meet Upthe19th after too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Most negative A4 race I have ever seen, gentle cycle round Wexford followed by a mass sprint 76km later, wish I'd stayed at home.

Thanks to Wexford CC, the way the race is raced is nothing to do with ye, and the organisation, marshalling and food afterwards all ticked the right boxes, will defo be back for the 2 day later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Unlike the A4 race, the A3 race was full of attacking. Did a lot of jumping, bridging, chasing and suffering and it eventually paid off with a last lap break. There were fresher legs in it than mine however and I had to be content with 7th.

I was lucky to just avoid two bad crashes. I hope injuries aren't too bad.

Thanks to Wexford Wheelers for everything and sorry my 4 kids pretty much demolished all of the chocolate cake.

A1/A2
    1). Martin Mizgajski Barrow Wheelers.
    2). Mark Reily LCRC.
    ... 3). Michael Hennessey Fermoy.
    4). Geoff Sheehan Bikeworx
    5). Keith Fox LCRC
    6). Rohan Killllan LCRC
    7).Hugh Mulhearne Iverk Produce Carrick Wheelers
    8). Michael Ahearn Dungarvan Cycling Club

A3
    1). Paul Jezowski Henry J Lyons
    2). James Maddocks Wexford Wheelers
    3). Paul Coffey Blanchardstown Wheelers
    4). John Shea Carlow cycling club.
    5). Paul O Connell Killmallock Cycling Club.
    6). Michael Stafford Wexford Wheelers
    7). Phil O Flaherty Swords Cycling Club
    8). Anthony Harper Wexford Wheelers
    9). Keith Finn Waterford Racing
    10). Steven Vauls Waterford Racing Club

A4.
    1). Gary Freehill Marble City
    2). John O Reily Waterford Racing Club.
    3). Brian Hammond LCRC
    4). Paul Woods Carlow CC
    5). Martin Kealy Laois
    6). Enda Walsh Waterford Racing
    7). 159
    8). Derek Carr Blanch Wheelers

U16

1). Reece Young Slaney Cycling Club
    2). Patrick Goszczyk Inspiration CC
    3). J.B Murphy Kilmallock Cycling Club

U 14
    1). Liam Curley SERC
    2). Cian O Keefe Comeragh CC
    3). Liam Hanly Navan CC

U12
    1). Eva Brennan Deenside
    2). Cael Chanders Newbridge
    3). Cameron Kenny Barrow Wheelers

• Advertisement

We had an accident free record on this circuit and for this race, over many years now. To see lads arriving back at Camross Hall, bloodied up, was a sight that we normally do not have. . Last years winner arrived in the hall in a bloodied state. On hearing of further accidents on subsequent laps , at the same location, we put out 2 extra marshals on the part of the road, and increased warnings to the riders. We pushed the groups away from the road center. warning the riders not to cross the center of the road for that stretch of road.

10 riders crashed in the course of the race. We have one rider in hospital this evening for stitching in his thigh and lower leg. All others were treated by our medical crew, and sent home.

We wish a speedy recovery to our injured riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Thanks wexford wheelers and Michael196. Good job today. Marshalling was spot on and so too was the grub. Really enjoyed the day despite being dropped way too early. Hope recoveries are speedy and repairs are cheap(ish).

Thought the A1/A2 finish was good. Martin Mizgajski pulled the trigger at exactly the right time. Fair play to them. Seriously strong finishing after 120km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

A3 race was pretty aggressive and fast from the off,was looking at one the lads garmin that crossed the line in top 6 and our speed average was the same,was in most of the moves that went away but where brought back after a while,sometimes they were too many lads in break and a good few would'nt work,so only outcome was bunch getting back on and more then attacking,it was good to see and be part of that aggressive racing and with no super juniors racing against us.Got caught out when the few lads popped off the front in last 5/6km,thought they would be reeled back like most where all day,but the bunch at times played piano and that was that then,they held on and chapaeu to them.
    I hope the lads that crashed are ok and back on the road soon.

Had a right go at two lads for dumping gel wrappers on road and in the ditch,one was in them white and green kit with APEX wrote on it and the other was from the dublin club that has the kit like the cannondale team only in black,I'd like to know do they do that at home just dump their litter on the floor ?.It takes 2 seconds to put wrappers under jersey.

Pawlie wrote: »

Had a right go at two lads for dumping gel wrappers on road and in the ditch,one was in them white and green kit with APEX wrote on it and the other was from the dublin club that has the kit like the cannondale team only in black,I'd like to know do they do that at home just dump their litter on the floor ?.It takes 2 seconds to put wrappers under jersey.

Was the same in A4 - got hit in the face by a wrapper coming down the N25 that a lad thought was fine to throw over his shoulder. Like you say it takes 2 secs to put in the jersey - so what if it's sticky I'm sure everyone washes their jerseys after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Well done Pawlie , spotted you having a go at the guy in the black gear , I think he got a bit of a shock but maybe he'll think twice before doing it again . ( that's a wexford club by the way )

fondriest wrote: »
    Well done Pawlie , spotted you having a go at the guy in the black gear , I think he got a bit of a shock but maybe he'll think twice before doing it again . ( that's a wexford club by the way )
    Is it a wexford club,sorry I thought they where a Dublin club apologises for getting that wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

,was looking at one the lads garmin that crossed the line in top 6 and our speed average was the same

What was the average Pawlie? Forgot the Garmin.

What was the average Pawlie? Forgot the Garmin.

Well pal we had 37.8kmph and the chap that came in about 30 seconds after the winner had 37.4kmph,I know they did extra lap but I couldn't imagine ours dropping even if we did another 22kms.

We had one A4 lad throw his bottle in the ditch last time down the main road! First time I have actually seen some eijet do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Inquitus wrote: »
    We had one A4 lad throw his bottle in the ditch last time down the main road! First time I have actually seen some eijet do that.

Was that on the main road ? If so that was me and I threw my bottle to my brother who was standing there. He wasn't expecting it but caught it all the same.

And as for the wrappers if you take them out of your back pocket you can put them back in.

Junior wrote: »
    Was that on the main road ? If so that was me and I threw my bottle to my brother who was standing there. He wasn't expecting it but caught it all the same.

And as for the wrappers if you take them out of your back pocket you can put them back in.
    Nothing wrong with throwing bottles to your own people on road,yea wanna be a brave man to try catch them lol

Wasn't you then, this lad threw it into the bushes, no one standing there to catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Was your sprint greatly improved by the absence of your heavy bottle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Some people will pay thousands to make that weight saving on a frame, pretty cheap upgrade in my opinion. Anyways it's his business if he wants to chuck a bottle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Exponentially. I think 4000* watts more per bottle is the estimate.

*may not he actually 4000 Watts depends on bottle and contents. Bottle wattage gain is regulated by the financial regulator, terms and conditions apply. If you are a maple ten member no financial regulations apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

That was the first time I had two bottles on my bike for a race. I'm blaming the extra weight for my poor performance ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Was my first A4 race, enjoyed it for the most part and will be out again another day.
    Was shocked though by the dangerous road positioning of lots of riders out on the wrong side of the road on blind corners and all. No amount of shouting would bring them back in.
    Found the first two laps quite nervy with wet roads and a heap of headstrong jittery men on bikes twitching all over the road.
    Well done Wexford Wheelers, seemed like a well run event.

j0hn1 wrote: »
    Was shocked though by the dangerous road positioning of lots of riders out on the wrong side of the road on blind corners and all. No amount of shouting would bring them back in.
    Found the first two laps quite nervy with wet roads and a heap of headstrong jittery men on bikes twitching all over the road.
    Well done Wexford Wheelers, seemed like a well run event.

+1

I've no problem at all with riders moving up the bunch on the right when it looks like they are going to get stuck in. But It's just mental how any people think it's ok to ride halfway up the bunch on the wrong side of the road and then just sit there, unprepared to go up the front and actually do some work.

daragh_ wrote: »
    +1

I've no problem at all with riders moving up the bunch on the right when it looks like they are going to get stuck in. But It's just mental how any people think it's ok to ride halfway up the bunch on the wrong side of the road and then just sit there, unprepared to go up the front and actually do some work.

Aye my thinking is that basically they drift to the back when the pace is on as they don't have the legs and when the pace drops into a headwind or whatever 50 of them fly up the wrong side of the road and aim to take a spot about 15 from the front before drifting to the back again when the pace returns.

Aye my thinking is that basically they drift to the back when the pace is on as they don't have the legs and when the pace drops into a headwind or whatever 50 of them fly up the wrong side of the road and aim to take a spot about 15 from the front before drifting to the back again when the pace returns.

If you read any of the posts regarding questions on being new to racing that's exactly th advice that is given. You could almost guarantee that if someone posts asking for advice for their first race something will be given along the line of:

"Try to get in the first 20 of the group, but don't get on the front and do any work - if you are weak on hills get to the front so you have positions to slip back - if anyone looks like they are going to make a break, jump onto their wheel"

As everyone gets the same advice it makes it pretty dull though there's nothing really wrong with the advice. I'm crap at hills and although I know I should get near the front to give myself slide room - it doesn't always happen which usually means I'm clinging on to the back and then as it levels out I try to get to the front to do some work. What makes it dangerous is lads moving out on the right hand side and not making progress so at times you're having to ride in the gutter on the opposite side of the road if you want to get back on the front and do some work.

At this level no one is really an out and out sprinter - or at least not all the 30 people who seemed happy to sit in a bunch and do nothing till the final 200m. I really don't see where the enjoyment/satisfaction is in a group ride for 75km followed by a sprint. I'd much rather do a bit of work on the front or try to get a break going, fail and roll across the finish smashed than just sit and wait for the inevitable sprint.

• Advertisement

I'd much rather do a bit of work on the front or try to get a break going, fail and roll across the finish smashed than just sit and wait for the inevitable sprint.

+1.

At this level no one is really an out and out sprinter - or at least not all the 30 people who seemed happy to sit in a bunch and do nothing till the final 200m. I really don't see where the enjoyment/satisfaction is in a group ride for 75km followed by a sprint. I'd much rather do a bit of work on the front or try to get a break going, fail and roll across the finish smashed than just sit and wait for the inevitable sprint.

I agree 100% I am good on the hills, good on the flat, but find sprints a crapshoot. Sunday was simply a group ride for 76km with a big sprint at the end. The annoying fact was that there was nothing I could do to change it, despite being one of the stronger lads there, I had no teammates, noone seemed to want to get up the road, and unfortunately the couple of hills that might have been selective were at the start of the lap not the end.

I made a complete mess of the sprint and ended up leading everyone else out, but that's another story altogether.

Sadly the Dunsany GP will be the same fare, is the finish the same as for the Lucan GP?

I had no teammates, noone seemed to want to get up the road, and unfortunately the couple of hills that might have been selective were at the start of the lap not the end.

I made a complete mess of the sprint and ended up leading everyone else out, but that's another story altogether.

Sadly the Dunsany GP will be the same fare, is the finish the same as for the Lucan GP?

Same course but finish is in Dunsany AFAIK. In the Lucan GP a rider got away first lap and solo'd to the win. Guess what my tactics will be on Sat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

I agree 100% I am good on the hills, good on the flat, but find sprints a crapshoot. Sunday was simply a group ride for 76km with a big sprint at the end. The annoying fact was that there was nothing I could do to change it, despite being one of the stronger lads there, I had no teammates, noone seemed to want to get up the road, and unfortunately the couple of hills that might have been selective were at the start of the lap not the end.

Think its a different finish than the lucan gp but will be an inevitable bunch sprint all the same. I tried to make a break on sunday and a couple of people bridged across to me but we got sucked back in. After that I did a few turns on the front but saw that it was going to be the usual bunch sprint so just sat in around the top 10 for the last half of the final lap and waited for the sprint.

We need a secret Boards hand signal for instigating breaks in A4 :D

@slfcarro5

Blanch Wheelies?

I think we have enough interested parties to give it a lash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

daragh_ wrote: »
    @slfcarro5

Blanch Wheelies?

Yeah that was me. Think that was you who came across to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I think we have enough interested parties to give it a lash!

Re Dunsany, though the course is roughly the same, the start/finish are different. Y'kno in Lucan GP when we take a wide left turn onto the road that brings us onto that tiny humpback bridge? For Dunsany we turn right there up a slight incline to the finish.

I can't make Dunsany as I can't find a childminder for that day.

Going by the description of the FOR on these pages, I'm becoming content with the idea of just upgrading myself at the beginning of next year. Maybe it's laziness on my part, but I don't fancy repeating the events of this year again next year. Or maybe I just need to get strong enough to break away on my own and stay away for 20km. Seems to be the only way if your tactics are a little on the weak side. The disparity between knowing the tactic and carrying it out seems to be the downfall for many.

slfcarro5 wrote: »
    Yeah that was me. Think that was you who came across to me.

Yep, followed by couerdelion.

All we needed to win at that stage was 2 less laps and a few big lads to pull us round ;)

Our day will come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement