Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 shop and returns

Options
  • 23-11-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Am thinking of buying a phone in an O2 shop for a christmas present, the shop guy told me they will not give any refund if the person does not like it even if its brought back in an unopened box, not even store credit.

Is that normal/allowed? I know buying online gives me a few days "cooling off" period.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    Am thinking of buying a phone in an O2 shop for a christmas present, the shop guy told me they will not give any refund if the person does not like it even if its brought back in an unopened box, not even store credit.

Is that normal/allowed? I know buying online gives me a few days "cooling off" period.

Absolutely fine - online is different.

Well when I say fine - you make your own choice if you think its good customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,

But did you know that if you invoke this this cooling period you'll have to pay the cost of returning it and if it's lost in transit you're at a loss for the full value of the phone (unless you've insured shipping). That may not be as attractive as it initially sounds.

The shop is not obliged to accept "change-of-mind" returns for in-store purchases, so their refusal is indeed allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cyclelops

Does anyone know if the same policy applies to other mobile phone resellers i.e Meteor?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

cyclelops wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the same policy applies to other mobile phone resellers i.e Meteor?

I'm not sure if it even actually applies with O2, as it didn't when I was employed there. I'd follow it up, perhaps with head office.

I'm not sure if it even actually applies with O2, as it didn't when I was employed there. I'd follow it up, perhaps with head office.

It applied in June when I bought my wife a phone. They did take it back but only after some negotiation with a quite helpful guy in the store near the Ilac.

Always check - but I suspect if one is doing it they all are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they will usually take a phone back if unopened and if you are getting another phone but are under no obligation to do so.

XXX: For stores, we don't have any return policy, you need to check the handset there in the store and if its not satisfactory, you can change your decision, however in the online shop we have 7 days return policy.

Taken from the online chat thing after searching the website where they have a policy for everything but no store policies. A bit underhand if you ask me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Taken from the online chat thing after searching the website where they have a policy for everything but no store policies. A bit underhand if you ask me.

The stores are actually a different company to the website, that's why. :)

The stores are actually a different company to the website, that's why. :)

Yep - but they the same website for both. They also have T&Cs which don't actually seem to be available anywhere. At least the retail repair policy is up.

I don't know anything about their current policy, but it's probably worth mentioning I had a really awful time a few years ago trying to return an O2 phone that was quite obviously faulty. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would imagine that there is no store policy on the website because O2 stores are not necessarily run by O2, but are franchises with their own policies regarding returns.

chrislad wrote: »
    I would imagine that there is no store policy on the website because O2 stores are not necessarily run by O2, but are franchises with their own policies regarding returns.

They are actually one 'franchise' as it were run by a company calling itself O2 retail. There other policies are on the web and both cite the sane website for T&Cs.

I'm sure if we dug deep enough we'd find a myriad of funky company law set-ups with various companies and holding that make up O2 worldwide. The point is where are the T&Cs of sale that are generally referred to on receipts?

To be fair the guy hit the nail on the head - there is no returns policy because they don't do returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The store I bought from is a franchise. Most of their sales are on ebay but they have a store too. Much cheaper than buying directly from o2 and comes with o2 warranty.

Advertisement