Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil man putting more than what was ordered in the tank

Options
  • 21-11-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

I just got a delivery there but the oil receipt now shows about €166 more than what we ordered (€200).

He advised that the pump did not stop and wrote the extra amount/balance on the receipt.

Any advise on how to handle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I assume that the price is acceptable to you, and the problem is really cash flow.

I suggest that you offer to pay them the €200 straight away, and the extra €166 when you have used about €200 worth of oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

As P. Breathnach suggested. Alternatively, they can pump the extra oil out pretty easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I just got a delivery there but the oil receipt now shows about €166 more than what we ordered (€200).

He advised that the pump did not stop and wrote the extra amount/balance on the receipt.

What I really was asking is there anything shady about this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

What I really was asking is there anything shady about this situation

No, total accident there's not enough margin on oil, and the risk of getting paid is too great a risk.

It is a reputable company, I might just ask for a receipt for the total balance. If it happens often enough then I guess I have no reason to be suspicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

It is a reputable company, I might just ask for a receipt for the total balance. If it happens often enough then I guess I have no reason to be suspicious

OP as long as you are ok to accept that extra oil and pay for it there is no problem but I would look for the proper receipt for the full payment.

Also if the counter shows that the extra oil was delivered than I would assume it has unless there is a way you can check how much oil you got roughly!

As long as they are willing to give you the proper receipt for full value that is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jasonpat

This isn't a good thing that bank is paying more than you ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

jasonpat wrote: »
    This isn't a good thing that bank is paying more than you ordered.

Classic - let's blame the bank - undoubtedly they are behind this scam somehow... Now it' raining outside...... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You should also have got a printed slip of paper which is placed into the trucks pump meter showing how many litres were pumped into your tank and this should correspond with your cash receipt.

A commen enough scam where tha payment method is cash is to tell the customer that more has been delivered when it has not, and give an invoice for that higher amount but change the invoice later before handing it into the office. Most people won't question a "mistake".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm surprised they even deliver €200 worth of oil without charging a premium. It is just as easy to fill the tank and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm surprised they even deliver €200 worth of oil without charging a premium. It is just as easy to fill the tank and be done with it.

I wish

Stinicker wrote: »

That's bad advice. The reason I don't fill it is due to the fact that if it gets nicked I'm out €200 not €1000\€1100

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

At leas they put the oil in....i had a situation where i ordered €200 litres of oil and they put pretty much NOTHING in, the dirty rotten thieving so and so's. I had measured the oil tank before ordering oil so I know exactly what was in it.

Man came in his lorry, gave me docket and off he went. Next day, my heating doesnt work.... when i checked the oil tank i knew that pretty much nothing had been put in, a dribble of oil if anything but def not 180 litres.

I was lucky because if the heating didnt work i would not have known and would have thought it was stolen, but it wasnt, they just put a little drop in. the guy that came to check the boiler told me that because i had the heat on when the dribble of oil was being put in, it caused the sediment at the bottom of the tank to move about and block the boiler a wee bit, twas easy to fix, he didnt even charge me.

As for the oil company...I rang them, said i got no oil, he said you did, i said nope, said i had measured it, suggested perhaps there was an issue with their lorry? He said no, all working fine. I said we have a problem here, i gave you €200 but I have no oil, I shall have to contact the guards (he wasnt budging at this point). He said go ahead, call guards, I said grand I will do that so.

Less than two mins later he rings me back, says he will be there in the morning....says he couldnt understand what happened, stuck to his story that they brought oil...I stuck to my guns and insisted i got no oil....showed him my marked measuring stick....and he puts 180 litres of oil into my tank....just like that.

It all ended well but I made enquiries about this oil company from various friends and they are well known for this practice. They either give you a little oil to last you another bit, or bring you nothing at all. Most people assume that their oil has been stolen, they never imagine its the oil company screwing them.

Beware is all Im saying....good practice to check your oil tank before and AFTER you order oil. Any more Im doing this when the truck comes and the guy that fills the oil is there. I cant afford to get screwed for 200 quid, bad enough that there are people out there that are stealing it, without unscrupulous oil companies taking advantage of people to. Dirty rotten so and so's.

Sorry. that got a bit long winded but i must say i found it theraputic writing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I am a occassional/part time delivery man for an oil company and have done this to customers in error.

Usually happens for the following reasons:

1) I did not set meter correctly to stop at certain litres pumped out:o
    2) Meter stop/cut off not working and I forgot to stop in time:o
    3) Colleague in the depot did not put the right quantity ordered on the docket.:mad:

Our solution:
    1) Offer to pump out excess.....don't like doing it as very time consuming when other customers are looking for product. Also additional piping required to be brought to customer premises and some customers have their tanks in the most inaccessible parts of their property!
    2) Get supervisor to reach a deal with customer as a gesture of good will eg. €25 off total bill and spread payments to suit customer.

An oil company, as is correctly stated above, is making very little per litre and as the 'major supplier' is paid within the month from receipt of supply the local oil companies cannot afford to have a possible bad debt; particulary with oil at the price it is at now.

In conclusion, I would be 99% sure it was a genuine error from the delivery guy and this will be reflected in your statement. Also all delivery trucks have to have their meters calibrated by 'weights and measures'. Most delivery truck meters are now digital with is best for both company and consumer alike as stock variations are too costly so stock control is really tight.

Advertisement