Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving lessons

Options
  • 20-11-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I booked a driving lesson the other day with a company after their representative called me back for an enquiry.
    The employee misrepresented the minimum duration of lessons I would have to do. They clearly stated one lesson. But the company has a minimum of two.
    The manager confirmed his employee failed to make the terms clear. So now I've been giving the option of the hour I ordered, or two at a 20% off.
    I'd like a full refund because I feel the employee was overly zealous in their sales tactic to the point of lying and wouldn't consider the company very trustworthy due to that. Is it possible to get a full refund or should I just take one of the options the manager gave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Marenghi wrote: »
    I booked a driving lesson the other day with a company after their representative called me back for an enquiry.
    The employee misrepresented the minimum duration of lessons I would have to do. They clearly stated one lesson. But the company has a minimum of two.
    The manager confirmed his employee failed to make the terms clear. So now I've been giving the option of the hour I ordered, or two at a 20% off.
    I'd like a full refund because I feel the employee was overly zealous in their sales tactic to the point of lying and wouldn't consider the company very trustworthy due to that. Is it possible to get a full refund or should I just take one of the options the manager gave?

So, they usually require a minimum of two lessons. The misinformed you, said you only needed one. To make up for this they are allowing you to just do the one lesson.

I dont see an issue here. It seems like you regret buying the lesson and are just looking for some stupid reason to get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Marenghi

Not really.
    They always require a minimum of two lessons. The employee I spoke to misrepresented them by saying I could take a single lesson. The manager himself said as a instructor he wouldn't consider a single lesson enough as they're structured so that the first is just to get you used to their car. He was really pushing for me to take the two to the point of admitting one isn't worth it. If their lessons aren't structured to be sold as a single I never should have been sold a single. At this point I'd like to take my business else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you ordered over the phone, Distance Selling Regulations apply. Just enforce your cooling off period, get your refund and take it from there. Least path of resistance and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Yes, dist selling rules apply.. You don't need the shaggy dog story to cancel the lesson you booked.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have you taken the 1 lesson yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

An employee made a mistake. The company are offering to honour the mistake or give you the correct amount of time for the full lesson with a 20% discount. To me that sounds like a trustworthy company. They could have just told you we don't do one hour lessons and pay full price for 2 or take your money back. But if you don't trust them do as the others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

I taught myself to play guitar and I play quite well. If I were to take lessons, I doubt that I would learn everything I need to know in one lesson.
    Similarly, if you need driving lessons, you'll need more than one, no matter who you book it with.

tony81 wrote: »
    Yes, dist selling rules apply.. You don't need the shaggy dog story to cancel the lesson you booked.

Does it? When I was sold the service I was told that under no circumstance could I cancel. If that's the case the employee lied about more than just the hours. I'll try that because he told me if I want to go small claims court to go ahead as it will take so long I may as well never get the money back.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    To me that sounds like a trustworthy company.
    It's their phone manner that bothers me. I contacted the NCA who gave me good advice and also told me they have been engaged with the company with relation to various issues. This doesn't sound like a trustworthy company to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does it? When I was sold the service I was told that under no circumstance could I cancel. If that's the case the employee lied about more than just the hours. I'll try that because he told me if I want to go small claims court to go ahead as it will take so long I may as well never get the money back.

It's their phone manner that bothers me. I contacted the NCA who gave me good advice and also told me they have been engaged with the company with relation to various issues. This doesn't sound like a trustworthy company to me.

Anything bought over the phone or Internet has a 7 day no quibble cooling off period, once the service / item hasn't been used.

If this, their phone manner and the NCA being aware of the company was in the OP my post would have been different.

How did you pay? If it was by credit card you can get your money back even if they won't refund you. Otherwise you may have to go to the small claims court.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Anything bought over the phone or Internet has a 7 day no quibble cooling off period, once the service / item hasn't been used.

If this, their phone manner and the NCA being aware of the company was in the OP my post would have been different.

How did you pay? If it was by credit card you can get your money back even if they won't refund you. Otherwise you may have to go to the small claims court.

I paid by AIB debit card so I don't think I can make a charge back. I'll get in touch with my bank and see what they say if he continues to stonewall on a refund.

I contacted them about distance selling and was told to refer to this
    Other types of contracts are excluded from the core provisions of the directive, such as the provision of comprehensible information before the purchase and the right to cancel the contract. These include contracts for services to be performed on a specific date or within a specific period such as hotel room bookings, travel or concert tickets.

As my lesson was booked for a certain date they said distance selling rules do not apply.

• Advertisement

Ok it seems I'll have to go ahead with small claims court for my original complaint. I was offered an introduction lesson of one hour, their introductions are only two and I've been refunded the second hour and told I can have half an introduction lesson.
    I've never dealt with the small claims court before, if I win do I get my refund along with the costs of application?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As my lesson was booked for a certain date they said distance selling rules do not apply.

They are mistaken. SCC procedure. It's very wesy and "dumbed down" for the average consumer.

Don't worry. They will walk you through it. just have all your facts ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Ok it seems I'll have to go ahead with small claims court for my original complaint. I was offered an introduction lesson of one hour, their introductions are only two and I've been refunded the second hour and told I can have half an introduction lesson.
    I've never dealt with the small claims court before, if I win do I get my refund along with the costs of application?

Yes you'll get a refund and some costs if you win. But if you lose they will lock you up for wasting their time with such a trivial matter.

They offered you one lesson which is what you originally wanted. Where's the problem here. I hope you recorded the calls so you can prove their 'phone manner' issue.

I ordered one full introduction lesson at one hour. If the employee had told me I could order one full introduction lesson for twice the cost and length I wouldn't have booked. If the employee had told me I could have half a lesson I wouldn't have booked.
    My problem is I wouldn't have ordered the lesson had the employee been truthful. Obviously I never recorded the calls but I have written correspondance from the manager admitting his employees mistake. He's been so insistant with me that I don't consider him very trustworthy either. Along with NCA being aware of the company, why would I expect to get good tuition from a dishonest company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Op, at this stage you got your advice... The cooling off period , or small claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

The company have done nothing to encourage this lady to do business with them, they have taken payment in advance and despite a genuine reason for not wanting to continue with them they won't refund the money. Even if the Lady took the 1 hour they know she will not return. Can't see why a company would insist with this arrangement, a refund, apology for the misrepresentation and a good luck with your driving would be the professional route. But that's the professional option.

Advertisement