Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Issue

Options
  • 29-09-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m outraged by the appalling customer experience I've received since joining Airtricity in July.

After joining in July, I was informed that I had to pay a €200 deposit as I’m not a home owner, that was fine, I received an email that the direct debit would be taken from my account at the end of July, which it was.

At the end of August, I received another email saying that the €200 deposit was due and would be taken from my account on the 11th Sept, I was obviously shocked as this had already been taken from my account at the end of July…. What happened next is just disgraceful.

After SIX calls with Customer Care, they finally realized that they had set up two accounts with my details and I had paid for someone else’s deposit, who’s name and address was given to me over the phone. I was told it had all been rectified and was promised that I would receive a credit for €30 onto my next bill.

So my next bill has just arrived and it’s for €393 without the credit of €30….. I live in a small house with one other person and we’re barely ever there so it’s impossible that the bill is that amount. So I rang again today and was informed that they were incorrect and that €300 was applied in error and that my bill should be €93.

I’m just really concerned now that they’re going to take €393 from my account and I’m not even hundred percent that they’ve cancelled my details on the second account that they set up in error. Everything that they’ve promised to do so far has fallen through so as you can imagine my trust is at an all-time low.

I’m going to have to change electric providers, any suggestions? Electric Ireland or Bord Gais?

Also, in your opinion, is this a breach of data protection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Be careful you are not hit with a charge for leaving them while in contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out and moved to own thread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pretty much all of the electric companies have brutal customer service. My bills have gotten much smaller since I moved to Electric Ireland recently though if that's any help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They should not have given you the other account holders details and this is a very serious breach of data protection laws.

You should firstly cancel all direct debits for Airtricity on your bank account.

Inform Airtricity that you are doing this to prevent them from taking any disputed amount. tell them you will return to paying by direct debit when you get a correct bill from them for the correct amount owed.

If they manage to take any funds from your account after that you are entitled to have the full amount returned immediately to your account.

You should also record all the details of when they told you about your money paying someone elses deposit and contact the Data Protection Commissioner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I am with Airtricity.

After unauthorised amounts were taken from my account, I now pay in cash at the post office.

They continually ask for a deposit by text and post, but I refuse and only pay the amount that I have used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

has anyone made any significant savings with airtricity?

i've been with them for over a year now and experienced no change if anything my bills have gone up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The OP has not returned to their thread, and I am not leaving it open for general meandering on Aitricity.

If you have a question on energy & utility savings, please go to the Accomodation & Property forum.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement