Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Anybody want a box set of Live CDs from 2014?

For the bargain price of $417!!!!

http://www.metallica.com/products/live-metallica-by-request-2014-box-set.asp

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Anybody want a box set of Live CDs from 2014?

For the bargain price of $417!!!!

http://www.metallica.com/products/live-metallica-by-request-2014-box-set.asp

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What the hell is this crap? And there's not even an Irish show in there anywhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I still haven't brought myself to actually watch the film all the way through. Through The Never, I seen the other "film" years ago - in the cinema if I recall correctly - remember feeling a slight shame that my favourite band were just allowing everyone to see all these personal workings...especially when it wasn't really our business, it was there business. That being said, I did buy a ticket to go and see the film, so I am partly to blame. I could have ignored it.

Haven't watched it since mind....and can't bring myself to watch this newer one either

I mean, Quebec Magnetic is a perfectly normal release from a music band...IMO Through The Never or Some Kind of Monster is not...next we'll have 'Metallica Saves Santa' or something KISS-esque lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I mean, Quebec Magnetic is a perfectly normal release from a music band...IMO Through The Never or Some Kind of Monster is not...next we'll have 'Metallica Saves Santa' or something KISS-esque lol

Was Qubec Magnetic the one where the camera shot changed every 2 seconds or so or was that a different one? I only watched a song or two on YouTube and remember it being awful to watch.

As for that box set, who on earth would buy that? How many versions of the same core songs does one person need to hear? I wonder what percentage of those concerts finished the main set with NEM/ES and had S&D as the last song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

Was Qubec Magnetic the one where the camera shot changed every 2 seconds or so or was that a different one? I only watched a song or two on YouTube and remember it being awful to watch.

As for that box set, who on earth would buy that? How many versions of the same core songs does one person need to hear? I wonder what percentage of those concerts finished the main set with NEM/ES and had S&D as the last song.

None, After buying binge and purge, for a measley few quid compared to that inflated price above, I've decided I don't need it. I hope they fire the stupid fúcker in marketing for that blatant rip off rubbish.

And yeah, Quebec wast shíte too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

I still haven't brought myself to actually watch the film all the way through. Through The Never, I seen the other "film" years ago - in the cinema if I recall correctly - remember feeling a slight shame that my favourite band were just allowing everyone to see all these personal workings...especially when it wasn't really our business, it was there business. That being said, I did buy a ticket to go and see the film, so I am partly to blame. I could have ignored it.

Haven't watched it since mind....and can't bring myself to watch this newer one either

Some Kind of Monster was, with the whole Napster thing, a double whammy that really reduced Metallica's coolness in the early 2000s. Yeah, TBA and Load had previously hurt them with a small section of fans, but these two events had really damaged their wider public image and painted them as whiny, neurotic rock stars obsessed with money, who took their fame for granted and were slipping inexorably into middle-aged domestication. James doesn't drink?! Lars is a smug art-dealer in his spare time?! Kirk is a passive follower?! They go to therapy???!! Who the hell is this guy on bass??! Bob Rock?! Wasn't he with the Payola$???!! etc. It was a really ballsy move to bare all like that, and maybe a bit stupid too, but I still respect the decision to it. I wouldn't have taken it. I'd have clammed the fk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A few weeks ago i asked if anyone knew what was up with Jason, as he's just gone off the grid for the last 6months after cancelling a tour

Just put out

According to a posting on NewstedHeavyMetal.com, former METALLICA, VOIVOD and FLOTSAM AND JETSAM bassist Jason Newsted is "not on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or any other social networking website as of September 15, 2014 & and has no affiliation with any such impostor sites using his name or likeness unlawfully."
    Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-metallica-bassist-jason-newsted-is-no-longer-on-facebook-twitter-or-any-other-social-networking-site/#HE6IALlOPjSjPUjx.99

Rest of story here http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-metallica-bassist-jason-newsted-is-no-longer-on-facebook-twitter-or-any-other-social-networking-site/#ZqxPWTVQVkFFI0Ma.01

Jason's website is just this...

Jason Newsted is not on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or any other social networking website as of September 15, 2014 & and has no affiliation with any such impostor sites using his name or likeness unlawfully.

http://newstedheavymetal.com/

Nothing on his site at all, i really hope he's ok, it's all very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

briany wrote: »
    Some Kind of Monster was, with the whole Napster thing, a double whammy that really reduced Metallica's coolness in the early 2000s. Yeah, TBA and Load had previously hurt them with a small section of fans, but these two events had really damaged their wider public image and painted them as whiny, neurotic rock stars obsessed with money, who took their fame for granted and were slipping inexorably into middle-aged domestication. James doesn't drink?! Lars is a smug art-dealer in his spare time?! Kirk is a passive follower?! They go to therapy???!! Who the hell is this guy on bass??! Bob Rock?! Wasn't he with the Payola$???!! etc. It was a really ballsy move to bare all like that, and maybe a bit stupid too, but I still respect the decision to it. I wouldn't have taken it. I'd have clammed the fk up.

Unless I have misinterpreted the context here, that is one of the most irresponsible things I have read for a while. Do you think that it is "uncool" that an alcoholic has given up booze and attended therapy for help to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Unless I have misinterpreted the context here, that is one of the most irresponsible things I have read for a while. Do you think that it is "uncool" that an alcoholic has given up booze and attended therapy for help to do so.

You are misinterpreting the context. If you take that section in full :
    James doesn't drink?! Lars is a smug art-dealer in his spare time?! Kirk is a passive follower?! They go to therapy???!! Who the hell is this guy on bass??! Bob Rock?! Wasn't he with the Payola$???!!

The second bit of that section, I thought, would show that I was doing an unreliable narrator sort of thing. A fan having a bad reaction to seeing Metallica handling sensitive issues and behaving in ways a bit divorced from the typical tough image that metal bands have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

briany wrote: »
    You are misinterpreting the context. If you take that section in full :

The second bit of that section, I thought, would show that I was doing an unreliable narrator sort of thing. A fan having a bad reaction to seeing Metallica handling sensitive issues and behaving in ways a bit divorced from the typical tough image that metal bands have.

I think I know what you mean. If you weren't part of the drink/drugs, you weren't perceived as real metal.

Sorry bout that. I misconstrued it as coming from yourself.

• Advertisement

Good to see Metallica supporting Record Store Day although they do kind of undo some of it by also selling the single in their online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

28 years ago today since Cliff Burton was tragically taken from this world, but he'll always be remembered for his work on Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning & Master Of Puppets.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    28 years ago today since Cliff Burton was tragically taken from this world, but he'll always be remembered for his work on Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning & Master Of Puppets.

How time flys, I started to listen to metallica 1 year after he died, can't believe that was nearly 30 years ago, man I feel old.

Metallica have been announced for Rock In Rio 2015 being held in Las Vegas.

Metallica have been announced for Rock In Rio 2015 being held in Las Vegas.

Hopefully it won't be an 'Escape from the Studio' and they'll actually have the album finished by then!

Hopefully it won't be an 'Escape from the Studio' and they'll actually have the album finished by then!

Surely to god they'd have the new album wrapped up before May 2015, I mean it doesn't exactly take that long to record an album, assuming they've done the writing/demo process already.

Surely to god they'd have the new album wrapped up before May 2015, I mean it doesn't exactly take that long to record an album, assuming they've done the writing/demo process already.

God only knows what other distractions they'll find between now has then. There might be a chance they can play a gig on the moon or something that'll focus all their efforts.

God only knows what other distractions they'll find between now has then. There might be a chance they can play a gig on the moon or something that'll focus all their efforts.

I wish their management would say no more distractions and have them focus all their energy on the new album, it's been 6 years now since Death Magnetic.
    Unless their stalling on the new album a la Axl with Chinese Democracy

I wish their management would say no more distractions and have them focus all their energy on the new album, it's been 6 years now since Death Magnetic.
    Unless their stalling on the new album a la Axl with Chinese Democracy

I think their management company like them touring as it keeps the cash flow ticking over. They're probably as much to blame for the time since DM as the band themselves.

I think their management company like them touring as it keeps the cash flow ticking over. They're probably as much to blame for the time since DM as the band themselves.

I suppose that's true in a sense as touring nowadays is more the money is made. But hopefully we'll have album #10 early next year.

• Advertisement

Original Mater of puppets painting and interview with the artist.
    DON Brautigam INTERVIEW
    If you look closely on the right bottom corner on the front "Master of Puppets" sleeve, you will see two small letters, D.B. Have you ever wondered what they mean? They are the initials of Don Brautigam who did the cover painting. Don graduated from The School of Visual Arts in New York in 1971 and has since made a living painting book and album sleeves as well as doing some advertising jobs. His list of clients is impressive, as he has worked with the largest names in music business, well-known authors, and companies. His clients include AC/DC, ZZ Top, and The Rolling Stones, as well as authors like Dean R. Koontz and Stephen King, and companies like Pepsi, Warner Communications and BASF.

more here

Dons website

Original painting

323527.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Ever since the Black Album - Metallica studio sessions have tended to be drawn out affairs that have in some cases been physically and mentally draining for the band. You can't help but wonder if that is a process that they (Hetfield, in particular) are prepared to endure anymore.

Even the relatively painless experience of recording DM took over 12 months of studio time to complete. For all the noise coming out of Lars about a follow up I wouldn't be at all suprised if Death Magnetic proves to be the final studio album the band ever make.

I'd say maybe Metallica have 2 more album after studio album #10

I'd say maybe Metallica have 2 more album after studio album #10

Going by their current rate of progress that would mean writing and recording music when almost into their sixties. I don't see it.

Being realistic they have one more proper studio album left. I can see five more years of touring peppered with live albums/movies and the occasional repackaged box set. But after that I can see James hanging it up for good.

Also, I wonder what the band and their management made of U2/Apple making their album available for free to Iphone 6 users?

Also, I wonder what the band and their management made of U2/Apple making their album available for free to Iphone 6 users?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-lars-ulrich-is-immensely-inspired-by-u2s-attempt-to-reinvent-the-wheel/

God i hope Lars or Metallica's management get any ideas and go the U2 route when it comes time to release their new album

God i hope Lars or Metallica's management get any ideas and go the U2 route when it comes time to release their new album

Probably trying to tie up a deal with Samsung as I type.

Probably trying to tie up a deal with Samsung as I type.

yeah, but not only will the album automatically appear on your phone, money will automatically will be taken out of your account.

Well i was wrong Metallica have found another way to delay work on the follow up to Death Magnetic, but this time i think it's for a worthy cause.

http://www.metallica.com/news/concert-for-valor.asp
    We are honored to be asked to participate in a very special first-of-its-kind concert saluting U.S. veterans and their families on the National Mall in Washington D.C. this Veteran’s Day, November 11, 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stick Disposable Hero's into the set there lads!

Advertisement