Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a Garmin Edge 510 or not...???

Options
  • 28-04-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 500 or 510.
    I don't race and I'm not interested in a HR Montior but I'd like to be able to see my cadence. Counting it myself is all well and good but I'm not going to constantly count my way through a 4 hour cycle. I also like the live tracking feature of the 510

They are very expensive so I just have a couple of questions for you

1) Are there alternatives that are reliable but cost less??
    2) Besides cadence and HR Monitoring (which I probably won't use) is there any advantage in getting a 510 instead of using my current €20 computer for current speed etc and phone for Strava??
    3) Can I buy a 510 and cadence meter bundle without getting a HR Monitor??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Cateye do bike computer with Cadence at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

G1032 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 500 or 510.
    I don't race and I'm not interested in a HR Montior but I'd like to be able to see my cadence. Counting it myself is all well and good but I'm not going to constantly count my way through a 4 hour cycle. I also like the live tracking feature of the 510

They are very expensive so I just have a couple of questions for you

1) Are there alternatives that are reliable but cost less??
    2) Besides cadence and HR Monitoring (which I probably won't use) is there any advantage in getting a 510 instead of using my current €20 computer for current speed etc and phone for Strava??
    3) Can I buy a 510 and cadence meter bundle without getting a HR Monitor??

1) Yes but you'll end up wishing you bought a 510.
    2) Battery life is better..keep your phone for phone calls.
    3) yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yes.Buy one. Got an 800 for Xmas . Superb piece's of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I have a cateye wired with cadence. I like it.

Then I got a 510. I love it so, but I am a shameless nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

Ya. I think, both from reviews I've read and posts here that I'll regret going for anything other than the Garmin.

Also judging by replies I'm as well to go for a 510 over a 500??

Is this a good deal??

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/garmin/edge-510-road-performance-ec046584#features

and buy the cadence meter seperately??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

This is slightly cheaper - http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-edge-510-010-01064-00.html

You can get an ANT+ cadence sensor from decathlon up North. I've seen it mentioned on these forums as a cheaper alternative to the Garmin one.

I do like the HRM though. So if you think you there's a chance that you might use it then the bundle with the cadence sensor and HRM is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Consider waiting a month or so - the new Garmin 1000 is due out then and it may lead to some downward pressure on prices of the other devices and / or some 800s or 810s coming on to the second hand market at a decent price.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Consider waiting a month or so - the new Garmin 1000 is due out then and it may lead to some downward pressure on prices of the other devices and / or some 800s or 810s coming on to the second hand market at a decent price.

Thanks
    I can do that. I've done without one for long enough, another month or 6 weeks won't matter

Just one last query on this

I'm thinking the 'Live Tracking' on the 510 is just a gimmick that will never end up being used by anyone I know.

Besides the wireless connectivity, is there any other reason I should choose a 510 over a 500? Is it really that hard to connect the Garmin to a computer with a cable to upload data??

Basically, can someone give me a good reason as to why I should spend the extra €60 or €70 on a 510 over the 500??

Im hoping to use the live tracking at this years Marmotte in France. My wife wants to be able to walk from the hotel down to the finish line five minutes before i arrive, instead of standing at the barrier for hours.

The lack of a phone signal along the route might be a problem though.

• Advertisement

Just one last query on this

I'm thinking the 'Live Tracking' on the 510 is just a gimmick that will never end up being used by anyone I know.

Besides the wireless connectivity, is there any other reason I should choose a 510 over a 500? Is it really that hard to connect the Garmin to a computer with a cable to upload data??

Basically, can someone give me a good reason as to why I should spend the extra €60 or €70 on a 510 over the 500??

I use the live tracking all the time on my 810 - the wife likes it so she can see that I haven't been ploughed by a truck!!

Plus it's handy if I decide to extend my cycle - she can just see where I'm at. Occasionally, it has also been used to have a hot cup of tea ready as soon as I'm in the door from a cold wet cycle :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Im hoping to use the live tracking at this years Marmotte in France. My wife wants to be able to walk from the hotel down to the finish line five minutes before i arrive, instead of standing at the barrier for hours.

The lack of a phone signal along the route might be a problem though.

My wife said something along the lines of

'If you think I'm goinig to be sitting at home looking at where you are on the ****** bike then you're living in cuckoo land...................'

Is the ability to connect to GLONASS worth an extra €60..??

'If you think I'm goinig to be sitting at home looking at where you are on the ****** bike then you're living in cuckoo land...................'

To my wife its worth every cent! (Shes no intention of standing at the finsh for hours!

It'll be handy for her when she needs to get rid of the boyfriend;)

My wife tends only to check when I'm overdue - it saves me having to stop and send a text to say I'm staying out an hour longer than I told her - plus if set off into the wilds of Meath and Louth and I decide to vary my route from what I've told her, I don't have to worry about telling her.

Finally, if I get a mechanical and have to send for the team car, she can see exactly where I am!

Joking aside, I find it a useful safety back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I use the live tracking all the time on my 810 - the wife likes it so she can see that I haven't been ploughed by a truck!!

Plus it's handy if I decide to extend my cycle - she can just see where I'm at. Occasionally, it has also been used to have a hot cup of tea ready as soon as I'm in the door from a cold wet cycle :)
    It'll be handy for her when she needs to get rid of the boyfriend;)

My wife tends only to check when I'm overdue - it saves me having to stop and send a text to say I'm staying out an hour longer than I told her - plus if set off into the wilds of Meath and Louth and I decide to vary my route from what I've told her, I don't have to worry about telling her.

Finally, if I get a mechanical and have to send for the team car, she can see exactly where I am!

Joking aside, I find it a useful safety back-up.

@Jawgap

As a Edge500 user, I've steered clear of worrying about the 510/810, but might 'upgrade' once the 1000 is available and the market settles...... Can you confirm that the Live Tracking is FoC and doesnt require a subscription etc and is presumably available via Google maps?

Advertisement