Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas meter doesn't seem to be working

Options
  • 19-11-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering has anyone had this experience.
    Moved into rental accomodation 6 months ago. Got meter reading from landlord and set up account with Bord Gais. We got 2 bills, one was for the deposit and no usage, next one for no usage. So I thought it was estimated and will all be cleared up. So today I look at the meter as finally got a key and its still reading the same reading i.e. somewhat broken.
    So where is the liability here, do I claim ignorance because I have never read the meter or submitted a reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

TheDriver wrote: »
    .. because I have never read the meter or submitted a reading?

That's gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

You should own up and get this fixed Asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i know that but what happens? do they estimate what should have been used, do they try charging us for gas the last tenants used because the meter was not working, who do I say it to:LL or Bord Gais?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

TheDriver wrote: »
    i know that but what happens? do they estimate what should have been used, do they try charging us for gas the last tenants used because the meter was not working, who do I say it to:LL or Bord Gais?

I'd say it to the LL first. I would imagine they'd estimate it, because they can't realistically base it on what a previous tenant used, or possibly base it on the average of the next few bills that you get once it's fixed. I'm sure they'd also set up a repayment plan too. Really though, I haven't a clue, I'm just guessing. Talk to the LL and if the bill is in your name, ring them ASAP after talking to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'd say it to the LL first....
    The account is in OP's name, so at its core it is an issue between OP and Bord Gais.

I think OP should tell Bord Gais that the meter seems to be faulty, and wait for them to deal with it. I would hope that Bord Gais would make a reasonable proposal, possibly along the lines of asking OP to accept a modest estimate - or they might even forgo charges on the basis that they can't prove that any gas was used.

I would tell the landlord about it as a matter of courtesy, nothing else: it's not the landlord's issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Are you sure it's your meter you're looking at, I've come across a few instances where gas and electric meters have been mixed up.
    Firstly check the meter no.

Its a semi and the ESB is digital meter, BG is old style. Definitely our meter.

rang BG and they are coming out to fit a new meter, she said they probably just start from scratch seeing as I didn't take the mick not reporting any longer than it would have come to my attention and it was summer so small bills anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Good work there from BG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dudara wrote: »
    Good work there from BG

From my experience, that is actually par for the course from BG. Always a delight to deal with, once you don't bury your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Really great response from BG. :)

to update, they came and fitted new meter and set the reading at the same as the old meter so I don't see how BG are even going to contemplate the change but rather just move onto the next reading. I assume thats the end of the matter, I got a few months free gas (although used little) and no hassle over estimates.
    I hope I won't be updating with any bad CS....

Advertisement