Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant in Galway

Options
  • 15-11-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, just found out i'm pregnant with my first a few days ago and have doctors appointment set for tomorrow. Haven't a clue of the private/semi private/ public hospital care in Galway. I have health insurance. Does anyone know about this and the level of care in Galway? Also just wondering when do u get scans as i see some people on this forum discussing ordering private scans etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi takethis congrats on your pregnancy, hope it all goes well.
    Some of the ladies have attended the hospitals in Galway hopefully they will be along to share some of thier experiences with you.

I would suggest getting as much into as you can on what your insurance will cover.
    In other countries they do an utlrasound at every visit, here it tends to be twice over the course of the pregnancy unless there are issues which need checking further, some people want 3D scans or a scan to tell them the sex of the baby and so pay for them privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

Go public its all free GPs Scans examinations after birth home visits from a nurse etc all free.
    If you want 3d scans its a round 30 to 50 yoyos,i can't recall her name right now but there is a Polish woman doing 3d scans in Galway recomended by my partners GP, will find out again for you

Go private end up paying contributions towards everything,
    one advantage = presence of a consultant on day of labour, midwifes do everything except c section obviously,
    and you can't be guaranteed a private room during a babyboom
    there is only one private labour hospital in ireland thats in dublin a fair drive if your water breaks
    just found out my partner is pregnant st stephens day :)
    ATB

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Are you defo going to register in Galway City? Had three of mine in Ballinasloe-excellent in comparison to one in holles st..

Go public it is all good, you may have to wait a little longer on the days of your appointment, but you are guaranteed no better service going private. Best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

As above, everything in the public system is free, and the care is great although you may be waiting at various hospital appointments. I would reccommend making appts for as early as you can in the morning to avoid long waits. In Galway they only do one scan, and the first one is at approx 20 weeks, you won't get another unless they detect a problem. I'm currently 21 weeks on my second and had a private scan in the Galway Clinic at 11 weeks as I found the wait on my first too long, wanted the reassurance of knowing all was ok. If you choose to go private, AFAIK insurance only covers the expenses surrounding the birth, all consultant appts and pregnancy care must be paid for yourself and could be a couple of grand, but I didn't go that route so am unsure of the details. Congrats on your pregnancy, hope all goes well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 takethis

Thanks guys, i decided to go public as advised by GP, who doesn't even pay private herself. absolutely no difference in private or public in Galway as no chance of private room anyway. Got a private scan for 100 euro in Terryland medical centre. it was great-really worth the money at 12 weeks. Felt i could tell people then. Have to wait till 18 weeks for hospital scan and thats a long time. anyways over 13 weeks along now and all going well thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Only go private if there are complications I would say and my partner is a consultant himself. He says damn all difference. Anything extra we pay for but get a certain amount off as am on Aviva Everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Not sure what hosp your going to my partner had a scare on a weekend away in Oranmore. the staff in Galway were absolutely amazing, very friendly and at one stage even bringing me toast and a pot of tea!! If we were nearer we would have had the baby there:D

Advertisement