Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Sky install

• 29-11-2004 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Been quoted 100 notes for a non-landline Sky install. Guy is quoting me an extra 100 notes to put up a QUAD lnb instead of single LNB on the install.
    Does that sound excessive? i know a new quad is the bones of 100 notes, but really, i think I should be only paying the difference between the single lnb and the qaud lnb...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

legend99 wrote:
    Been quoted 100 notes for a non-landline Sky install. Guy is quoting me an extra 100 notes to put up a QUAD lnb instead of single LNB on the install.
    Does that sound excessive? i know a new quad is the bones of 100 notes, but really, i think I should be only paying the difference between the single lnb and the qaud lnb...

well I sell a quad for 89 euro but its hard to sell a single lnb for sky so charging you the difference is not really practical. As for non landline install the guy is taking a chance on not being paid by sky but from what i can tell the clawback scheme is not being enforced at the moment.

BTW somebody posted a Irish site here a while back with even cheaper quads than €89 so maybe you could buy one and just hand it to the installer

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

your welcome :)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

tony will give u a bell tomorrow am - was in miami for hols!
    still have dv6400 reserved for you - did u ever try the naim amp?

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

sorry guys think John meant to pm me that

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Thanks for the advice Tony!!! Bit lost with all this and up the walls in work so no chance to get back here and leave a message for you!
    Happy December!

• Advertisement

legend99 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice Tony!!! Bit lost with all this and up the walls in work so no chance to get back here and leave a message for you!
    Happy December!

Hope it works out for you

guys. Rang number for independent Sky guy to do install. he went ahead and ordered the Sky card and that arrived the other day. He said at the time that even if I did that, it didn't mean i had to get it in, as ordering the card was irrelevant until i had the connection done and the card activated.

Now, question. To be honest i wasn't at all impressed by him on the phone. So, can I ring up a different installer, say that i have my card from Sky and get the install done by this second guy??/
    Thanks in advance...

legend99 wrote:
    guys. Rang number for independent Sky guy to do install. he went ahead and ordered the Sky card and that arrived the other day. He said at the time that even if I did that, it didn't mean i had to get it in, as ordering the card was irrelevant until i had the connection done and the card activated.

Now, question. To be honest i wasn't at all impressed by him on the phone. So, can I ring up a different installer, say that i have my card from Sky and get the install done by this second guy??/
    Thanks in advance...

no because the second guy will not be paid by sky

Feck, ok thanks Tony. What would happen if I just rang a new guy and started the process again? Is that now allowed because I would be on the system as having already ordered a card that was not activated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

whats a quad. does this allow you to watch four different things in four rooms? Is this any extrs a month?

• Advertisement

As far as I know Dec, you need quad if you want to have more than one box in different rooms. Whereas with NTL and Chorus you can just split the singla by literally cutting the wire and connecting 2 wires to it(with the consequent drop in picture quality), you cannot split the signal for a box.

So if you wanted a second box, you need a second connection on the dish. A quad allows 4 such connections. if yo ujust buy a second box to watch BBC and a load of other crap channels there is no ongoing monthly cost. if you want it to watch the full Sky choice in another room, I think you have to get whats called a mirror sub...and I think(open to correction) its 15 a month on top of your existing bill....you have to have a phone line for mirror sub.

legend99 wrote:
    Feck, ok thanks Tony. What would happen if I just rang a new guy and started the process again? Is that now allowed because I would be on the system as having already ordered a card that was not activated?

I would cancel the first one by ringing sky and then phone back next day when its cleared from the database. Out of curiosity what were you quoted?

Rang the guy, when i spoke to him, had no landline. 100 quid for non-landline install, I said I wanted to upgrade to quad LNB, he said that be another 100.
    Since then, we have got the landline in, so not sure now if that means we'd have to start again in any case...probaly not I suppose, means you just activate it with the phone line from the word go.

But it wasn't so much the price, he just didn't strike me as a trustworthy character. Rang someone since about terrestrial aerial...for rest of house, sounded way way more trustworthy and he does Sky as well.

Good , you should now be able to get free standard install on your sky and if he can do aerial too your well in.

Good luck
    legend99 wrote:
    Rang the guy, when i spoke to him, had no landline. 100 quid for non-landline install, I said I wanted to upgrade to quad LNB, he said that be another 100.
    Since then, we have got the landline in, so not sure now if that means we'd have to start again in any case...probaly not I suppose, means you just activate it with the phone line from the word go.

But it wasn't so much the price, he just didn't strike me as a trustworthy character. Rang someone since about terrestrial aerial...for rest of house, sounded way way more trustworthy and he does Sky as well.

Going to go with the guy who didn't impress me. At this stage...i.e. 2 weeks without TV and the wife going mad, I don't think it would go down too well if I told her it would be another week as I was starting process again with someone else!!!

This first guy dropped the price for the quad to 70 euro, the cost price as its no difference to him whether he installs the single or the quad. He still gets paid(i presume by Sky?) for the install. He doesn't do aerials, but that second guy I rang does do the aerials and I can get him to slot that in later. that will be the bones of 200 notes anyway between 2 aerials, diplexer and the time for install and with Xmas coming I don't have 200 notes to just allow me to record RTE and view Sky 1.
    Right now the only second TV we have is a little portable so that will have ot be staying in its box for a while!!!

One question.....how many RF outputs are there on the back of the Sky box? I presume if i did get an aerial I would pass it into the Sky box and then distribute all the output from Sky box to the rest fo the house....presume it passes through the RF it recies in? But do I need to split the RF out in 2, one for the VHS under it and one for the rest of the house, or is there 2 RF outs?

Thanks Tony for the help!

Am I crazy paying a guy 70 for a quad, when I could pay 150 and get a Sky+ box and a second Sky box and have the quad installed as well....i.e. if I stumped up another 80 I'd be getting Sky+ box for it?
    If did that Sky+ Multiroom connection for 149, do I have to pay the Sky+ 15 euro a month and the mirror sub...i.e. can you just get the equipment off them at the start and not pay the subs for it every month,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

you have to sub to sky from the get go for any of their special offers

legend99 wrote:

One question.....how many RF outputs are there on the back of the Sky box? I presume if i did get an aerial I would pass it into the Sky box and then distribute all the output from Sky box to the rest fo the house....presume it passes through the RF it recies in? But do I need to split the RF out in 2, one for the VHS under it and one for the rest of the house, or is there 2 RF outs?

Thanks Tony for the help!

No problem, you can pass the rf through and the box has two outputs so no need to split

well after all my questions, got it in today. Seems to be working perfectly, got the quad in, only using 1 output of it. Too broke right now to be able to get a second box!

2 things I am confused about. The installer didn't leave any copy of the contract I signed....so the only document I have is the at sheet of paper the card was posted to me on. Should I be asking for a copy of what I signed during install? he said to me as he was leaving that he had left all the bits in the cardboard box...but that was literally the PACE manual and remote control....or will I get something in the post myself from Sky?

Second, I currently have the full whack of channels, as in Sports and Movies. That kind of suits with Xmas approaching, but I presume I can down that to the basic 28.50 a month after Xmas...or do you need 12 months at the full package for the free install???

AFAIK you can downgrade after 30 days

legend99 wrote:
    well after all my questions, got it in today. Seems to be working perfectly, got the quad in, only using 1 output of it. Too broke right now to be able to get a second box!

2 things I am confused about. The installer didn't leave any copy of the contract I signed....so the only document I have is the at sheet of paper the card was posted to me on. Should I be asking for a copy of what I signed during install? he said to me as he was leaving that he had left all the bits in the cardboard box...but that was literally the PACE manual and remote control....or will I get something in the post myself from Sky?

Second, I currently have the full whack of channels, as in Sports and Movies. That kind of suits with Xmas approaching, but I presume I can down that to the basic 28.50 a month after Xmas...or do you need 12 months at the full package for the free install???

• Advertisement
Advertisement