Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new junior cert english

Options
  • 26-02-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

hey all
    I have come back from being on sick leave for about 4 1/2 months and am completely stumped as to what to do with my new enthusiastic first years in English. The teacher who as in for me as just been doing the old course with them. So I am left wondering is that what all schools are doing or id it just mine that the english department is jut sticking to the old course etc
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭acequion

roxychix wrote: »
    hey all
    I have come back from being on sick leave for about 4 1/2 months and am completely stumped as to what to do with my new enthusiastic first years in English. The teacher who as in for me as just been doing the old course with them. So I am left wondering is that what all schools are doing or id it just mine that the english department is jut sticking to the old course etc
    thanks

Well I certainly hope it's not just yours. My school and all those I know of are sticking to the old course until we see what comes of the current dispute.

Considering that both ASTI and TUI members have opposed the new JC,for well publicised reasons, and took the hit of two strike days to date to demonstrate that opposition,I would consider it very bad form if there are English teachers actively encouraging and teaching anything else. Now this may be considered breach of contract, but disobedience is sometimes necessary and if everybody is being disobedient for a common cause as is the current case,repercussions [for those who may be worried] are very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭alabandical

What a complete disaster it's been.

Our school sat down and did out a comprehensive First Year plan last year. It has fallen to wayside a bit since September and we are in a sort of No Man's Land.

I can't believe that in the recent talks there is a push for Science to be deferred and yet no mention of English? Surely there is more need for a deferral of a course that we are already supposed to be teaching of which we still have no idea how it is going to be assessed?

Advertisement