Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swedish Ports ban israeli Ships from docking in response to flotilla attack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes I think there should be a co-ordinated EU wide ban on imported Israeli goods for two weeks to send the people of Israel a message. Rein in your government or you will become a Rogue State in our eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fair play to them, I hope the Irish Unions do same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think world wide protests that hit Israel where it hurts, the pocket, would be a good way to show that most right thinking people are not happy with the outrageous behaviour of Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

gandalf wrote: »
    Yes I think there should be a co-ordinated EU wide ban on imported Israeli goods for two weeks to send the people of Israel a message. Rein in your government or you will become a Rogue State in our eyes.

I agree, but I'd go with a 6 month ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yes, as Israel is violating numerous UN resolutions, and have not been put under sanctions by Western governments, and not to mentioned violating various agreements. Meanwhile, the Palestinians are regularly punished, for there own mis-deeds, and seeing as the Western governments are unwilling to redress this blatant double standard, then I feel that actions like that taken by the Swedish ports workers Union are needed, and also need to repeated by others as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Well done to the Swedes, is time we all showed Israel they cant get away with that sh*t, it sends a message to the USA too

Fair play to them, I hope the Irish Unions do same.

Well if the Irish Unions want to regain any semblance of respect with the General Public here this would be a very good place to start.

gandalf wrote: »
    Well if the Irish Unions want to regain any semblance of respect with the General Public here this would be a very good place to start.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I hope it happens here. A month at the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No doubt the Irish Unions will support it.

Anything to avoid doing anything positive and constructive.

Negative tactics all the way.

This kind of stuff always garners support in the squats, and amongst losers and deadbeats, the non contributors and state assisted drones.

Anyone with a constructive outlook would ignore it.

• Advertisement

And rightly so,

A clear concience is better than all the money in the world. :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Negative tactics all the way.

This kind of stuff always garners support in the squats, and amongst losers and deadbeats, the non contributors and state assisted drones.

Anyone with a constructive outlook would ignore it.

I'd be willing to put money down on the fact a majority of the Irish people would support it and prove your demented ramblings wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

How can we make it happen here? Real suggestions please

I'd be willing to put money down on the fact a majority of the Irish people would support it and prove your demented ramblings wrong.

You'd have a job proving it,and fair enough if you want to be dictated to by port workers.

I however, make up my own mind ,and certainly won't be led by a coterie of workers who seem to think that they have any credibility in the correct and proper way to conduct working relationships and the principle of an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

I'll take my lead from other source, horse, if I want an example of honesty and fair play:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

yeah the sheep will probably follow.....

Plenty of sheep here Pete, you will find that out soon enough , probably by post 110.

You'd have a job proving it,and fair enough if you want to be dictated to by port workers.

No. They'd be doing it in support of long standing principles and in support of the majority of Irish people who wish it so.
    I however, make up my own mind ,and certainly won't be led by a coterie of workers who seem to think that they have any credibility in the correct and proper way to conduct working relationships and the principle of an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

I've a hard time figuring out what exactly you're talking about with a lot of your posts. They seem to degenerate into abusing one group or another. I'm not sure what the principle of an honest day's work for an honest day's pay has to do with a boycott of Israeli goods in Irish ports or the correct and proper way to conduct working relationships, are you talking about interpersonal relationships or what? In the absence of clarity I have to dismiss it as nonsense.

In the same way South Africa was boycotted Israel should also be boycotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Plenty of sheep here Pete, you will find that out soon enough , probably by post 110.

Heaven forfend that you should have to spend time in the company of sheep, or vested interests, or single issue punters. Perhaps a week off will help you remember your manners?

moderately,
    Scofflaw

I think you'll find those you dismiss as "anti-Israeli" or "pro-Hamas" actually have a very considered viewpoint backed up by huge amounts of historical knowledge and are neither pro or anti Israeli or Palestinian. They simply want fair play and a righting of a historical wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

I think you'll find those you dismiss as "anti-Israeli" or "pro-Hamas" actually have a very considered viewpoint backed up by huge amounts of historical knowledge and are neither pro or anti Israeli or Palestinian. They simply want fair play and a righting of a historical wrong.

Or have a point of view off their own who wish to express it.

• Advertisement

PeteEd wrote: »

Isn't that what we are all doing - Expressing our opinion?

PeteEd wrote: »

And what exactly is your point of view apart from single line sound bites?

Be polite.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

Im not going to boycott Israeli goods (I dont even know what we import from Israel) . This is another vested interest lobby group trying to swing public opinion to their own views. What anyone else does is there own business

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    Im not going to boycott Israeli goods (I dont even know what we import from Israel) . This is another vested interest lobby group trying to swing public opinion to their own views. What anyone else does is there own business

Wrong.

Right i dare say!

If you can't come up with anything better than that, don't feel you have to hit the Submit button.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

ban 'em

If they arent trying to swing public opinion in their favour (And not forgetting they are 100% entitled to try and do so) then what was the rally for? Why are they calling for a boycott if no to change peoples attitudes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Blessedly too young to remember such grim days, but wasn't it the Unions who kicked up a fuss about Apartheid?

I can't ordinarily stomach the modern unions, and I find their current state disheartening and depressing - but if they were to follow this lead, I'd respect them considerably more for it than I do right now.

Fair play to Sweden generally, their reaction was proper order and I'd rather like to see more nations and governments willing to show some backbone the way they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nick Dolan wrote: »

Please explain how exactly Swedish unions are "another vested interest lobby group", in detail please, with sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I for one am certainly not going to boycott Isreali goods and will certainly not support anyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

So I'm completely against Israeli sanctions but I'm not so dumb as to think they are simply there to keep out weapons (I've seen countless people ask why they ban chocolate). The sanctions are used as a pressurising measure, so they force Palestinians to forgo things as long as rocket fire continues, the sanctions are indiscriminate. Likewise a boycott is a pressurising action and is also indiscriminate, it hits all Israelis regardless of their views on the conflict so I can support neither sanction nor boycott.

Secondly if you want to boycott be my guest but to suggest that a union should be our moral compass and make this decision for us is bizarre. And what if Irish unions decided to back Israel and refuse palestinian produce? You only support a union action because it likely coincides with your view, I had a lovely Palestinian falafel yesterday at the maritime festival and if I wanted to wash it down with an Israeli wine i'll be damned if some union worker had decided I couldn't or shouldn't. Since when do we look to unions for the moral highground? And related to my first point, since when is fighting an indiscriminate sanction with an indiscriminate boycott the moral highground?

You all need to start thinking rationally, if unions decided what comes in and out of a country then we are in big trouble.

We need to end the sanctions through political pressure without using the Israeli people as a proxy for this. We need to end rocket attacks through mediation, via international bodies which we should pressure to get more involved and we can lobby the US government to reexamine their unwaivering support for Israel, again without putting Americans through hardship. This idea of punishing a people for the sins of an elite (be they elected or not) is quite frankly wrong

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ireland would actually do quite well with an EU wide boycot of Israel. They are our direct competitors in terms of knowledge economy jobs.

Whether it would achieve anything as regards the middle east or not is a different story. Israel have a history of doing it on their own, and are not likely to be persuaded by international opinion.

Finally, if there was an EU wide boycot of Israel, most likely the US would step up their aid of Israel, so I can't see this having any practical effect.

Finally, if there was an EU wide boycot of Israel, most likely the US would step up their aid of Israel, so I can't see this having any practical effect.

It might put more pressure in Washington to re-think it's unwaivering support for Israeli actions, good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Would this hypothetical boycott apply to all multinational businesses that operate within Israel as well (and by extension support Israel by paying Israeli tax)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe the defence forces and Gardai will stop using their Isreali made weapons too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Maybe the defence forces and Gardai will stop using their Isreali made weapons too :rolleyes:

They've already switched over to Heckler & Koch as their supplier

Oh yeah

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Fair play to Sweden generally, their reaction was proper order and I'd rather like to see more nations and governments willing to show some backbone the way they have.

But the Swedish unions are happy to allow Chinese,Saudi, Burmese, North Korean and other , far worse, human rights abusers dock. That is called rank hypocrisy. The Swedish political system is screwed up and in total hock to the Islamofacists. Witness the goings on in Stockholm when Sweden played Israel in the Davis Cup. Thousands of Muslims and the left wing useful idiots out rioting and the sane Swedes scared to say anything in case they are branded racist.

Palmach wrote: »
    But the Swedish unions are happy to allow Chinese,Saudi, Burmese, North Korean and other , far worse, human rights abusers dock. That is called rank hypocrisy. The Swedish political system is screwed up and in total hock to the Islamofacists.(......).

Yes....Sweden...."Islamofacists"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes....Sweden...."Islamofacists"......

So you can't explain why Israel is singled out nor do you accept the inherent anti-Jewish hatred that motivates Muslim protesters led by the likes of the Muslim Brotherhood and Hizb-ut-Tahrir whose goals involve Islamising the world. But hey lets not worry about that! Much more fun bashing Israel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Way to display your neutrality Sweden :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Wont Israeli ship owners simply change their ships registration to another port? Like Panama, Belize, Honduras, St Vincent and the Grenadines?

Is Israel even a big choice for registering ships?

OK, let's be clear about this one, too. This is not a thread about why Israel issues are of more interest to people than some other issue X. That's a deflection tactic, and it's also an attempt to drag the thread off-topic.

Usual penalties will apply.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Sand wrote: »
    Wont Israeli ship owners simply change their ships registration to another port? Like Panama, Belize, Honduras, St Vincent and the Grenadines?

Is Israel even a big choice for registering ships?

From the OP.....

Swedish Port Workers Union spokesman Peter Annerback says workers will refuse to handle Israeli goods and ships during the June 15-24 blockade. The union has some 1,500 members and supports Ship to Gaza, which took part in the flotilla.
    It says the reason for the blockade is "the unprecedented criminal attack on the peaceful ship convoy."

So you can't explain why Israel is singled out
    !

It isn't.
    nor do you accept the inherent anti-Jewish hatred that motivates Muslim protesters led by the likes of the Muslim Brotherhood and Hizb-ut-Tahrir whose goals involve Islamising the world.

Osama Bin Laden used support Arsenal. Are all supporters of Arsenal thus inherently evil and "wrong"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Erm, I'm sure Israeli ships aren't the only cargo vessels docking in Sweden, as far as I'm aware Israel doesn't supply the whole world with goods and services.

So how would this blockade stop anyone from doing an honest days work?

Your logic is flawed

Fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

musings wrote: »
    Swedish port worker unions have banned israeli ships from docking in swedish ports in response to the attacks on the Gaza bound flotilla earlier this week. see story: http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/thousands-demonstrate-across-the-world-against-israel-s-gaza-flotilla-raid-1.294295

Should our ports do likewise?

No, our ports should not do likewise, nor do I think the Swedish unions are acting appropriately.

While I would line up squarely alongside those who condemn the Israeli actions, I do not believe it is the place of unions to be making what amounts to national policy.

The would be, in effect, taking the law into their own hands....which is effectively the core premise on which condemnation of the Israeli actions rests.

Should our government choose to ban Israeli ships? I doubt that they would, but I certainly wouldn't find have an issue with it.

The would be, in effect, taking the law into their own hands....which is effectively the core premise on which condemnation of the Israeli actions rests.

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. You CANNOT equate Israeli terrorism with the actions of unions in taking a conscientious decision not to handle goods and trade being used to fund said terrorism.

bonkey wrote: »
    No, our ports should not do likewise, nor do I think the Swedish unions are acting appropriately.

While I would line up squarely alongside those who condemn the Israeli actions, I do not believe it is the place of unions to be making what amounts to national policy.

Should our government choose to ban Israeli ships? I doubt that they would, but I certainly wouldn't find have an issue with it.

Sometimes, it takes the individual to stand up and do something that their respective Government doesn't have the balls to do. There is absolutely nothing immoral, or wrong with Unions organising nationwide boycotts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement