Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal day

• 22-02-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Looking for information about a personal day at second level? I have the wedding of a close friend in 2 months. Can I be refused a personal day and be asked to go to the afters only? Is a personal day unpaid even when we have a system of staff covering for each other? I can only find unpaid leave on the ASTI website. Is that for one day only or prolonged periods of leave?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/leave/casual-personal-leave/

Generally you will have to get colleagues to cover your classes as substitute cover is not provided for such days.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that. Hope my brain wakes up before tomorrow morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Think it must be sanctioned by the BOM so get your request in in plenty of time. They could refuse it in theory but generally it's just a formality in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Think it must be sanctioned by the BOM so get your request in in plenty of time. They could refuse it in theory but generally it's just a formality in my experience.

That depends on the school, we never have to get agreement, we just ask/tell the principal and make sure all our classes are supervised and we have left them all work to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

freckly wrote: »
    Looking for information about a personal day at second level? I have the wedding of a close friend in 2 months. Can I be refused a personal day and be asked to go to the afters only? Is a personal day unpaid even when we have a system of staff covering for each other? I can only find unpaid leave on the ASTI website. Is that for one day only or prolonged periods of leave?

The school MAY grant you leave, but it's up to them. If they do, it will be unpaid and you'll have to find cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And make sure you tell the Principal who is covering you're classes so the burden of supervision is lifted from you if any of them are sick that day...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

All sorted thanks.Had to give a list of people covering but that's it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

katydid wrote: »
    The school MAY grant you leave, but it's up to them. If they do, it will be unpaid and you'll have to find cover.

In most schools that is not the case. As stated once you give plenty of notice and sort out your own cover then you won't lose a days pay.
    There are some schools where management can be a$$holes about it but by and large most are fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

In most schools that is not the case. As stated once you give plenty of notice and sort out your own cover then you won't lose a days pay.
    There are some schools where management can be a$$holes about it but by and large most are fine.

It's up to the school, though, to give the time off or not. Not a right. But a formality, mostly.

Advertisement