Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best acoustic for under 1000.00?

Options
  • 07-02-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

What are your opinions on this? Also I am talking about an all rounder. Not just a great sound but a great sound when plugged in too. I played a Breedlove recently which was excellent until I plugged it in. Thin as a thin thing with the Fishman Classic 4 Pickup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Start with a good sounding acoustic then add a good sounding pup.

then again, Takamines always sounded awesome plugged in but pants acoustically unless you were well up the price bands.....

Nicest lower end guitar I've played was a Turner CE I bought for £300 in 2002. my mate still has it, and it still sounds great acoustically and amplified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

I am actually not really looking to buy. Just trying to get opinions as you never know. My mate had a G series Takamine years ago. I agree. Plugged in it sounded acceptable, but as a standalone acoustic, it didn't really do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

population wrote: »
    What are your opinions on this? Also I am talking about an all rounder. Not just a great sound but a great sound when plugged in too. I played a Breedlove recently which was excellent until I plugged it in. Thin as a thin thing with the Fishman Classic 4 Pickup.

Getting a good plugged-in sound takes a bit of effort. Buying a guitar with an under-saddle pickup is going to result in that plastic sound that under-saddle transducers are known for regardless of the actual guitar's quality of acoustic sound. I'm a big fan of a hybrid system using a mixture of sources including an internal mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Getting a good plugged-in sound takes a bit of effort. Buying a guitar with an under-saddle pickup is going to result in that plastic sound that under-saddle transducers are known for regardless of the actual guitar's quality of acoustic sound. I'm a big fan of a hybrid system using a mixture of sources including an internal mic.

Good point. Hybrid systems like the T5 are expensive fellas though. Nothing there under a grand me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

An Epiphone Ej200-Ce has 2 pick ups and an option to blend. Plenty to play around with. It's unreal value for money at only €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

population wrote: »
    Good point. Hybrid systems like the T5 are expensive fellas though. Nothing there under a grand me thinks.

These days you can get a perfectly good Acoustic for 400-600 Euro.
    I'm a big fan of the Canadian brands, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherier & Norman which are all part of the Godin stable. You also have Faith and countless others. Even some of the lower priced Martin's and worth a look.

I use Fishman Rare Earth Blend myself and am very happy with the results but also worth a look are K&K systems and I've not tried it but the LR Baggs Lyric system looks very interesting.
    It's certainly possible to get a good Acoustic and Pickup system for 1000 Euro but I really think you have to get the Guitar first and add the pickup yourself.

Advertisement