Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've finished my book! ....Now what?

Options
  • 24-03-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭

After nearly two years, I have finally finished my first-ever book. It's a humourou non-fiction title called '99 Reasons Everyone Hates Facebook' and I'm pleased to say that this self-published book (I'll be using BookBaby) is being edited right now and has a cover already designed.

As I imagine the editing process will take up a few weeks, I wanted to ask you guys what should be my next steps to publicise the book and really get it out there? What forums should I approach, what kind of pricing would you recommend (I'm thinking around $2-3 across 11 eBook stores), and would you recommend sites like eLance? All advice is appreciated and of course once the book is ready to go I'll set up a separate thread here too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

When you say editing, do you mean line editing or structural editing?

What length of book is it? Who is it aimed at? What book is it most like?

Do you have an outline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

EileenG wrote: »
    When you say editing, do you mean line editing or structural editing?

What length of book is it? Who is it aimed at? What book is it most like?

Do you have an outline?

Hi Eileen. Thanks the response.

I meant line editing. The editing itself is being by my editor in my current job, who edited a book from a former colleague that was quite successful in Ireland and the UK late last year. The structure is of the book is quite rigid - an outline was written by me before I began - and consists of 9 chapters (each centred around aspects of the Facebook experience), with around 10-15 'reasons' each.

Much like Facebook, the book aims to have a universal appeal. To that end, I made sure not to write on subjects that were too technical or could not be understood by casual users of the site. Also, the book contains no profanity and is written in American English, with broad cultural references for what would be a target market of North America.

The book I was originally inspired by is it 'Is It Just Me Or Is Everything ****?', which was very relatable and could did not necessarily need to be read from page one - you could open the book at any point and feel like you could jump right in.

Advertisement