Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you design and publish an ebook?

• 26-02-2013 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to create an ebook. I have the content but I don't have a cover designed for it.

I also have no idea how to go about putting it from a word document into an ebook and publishing.

Is there any step by step guide out there that may be easy to follow? I'm a total beginner.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

check out this article - I think it goes through the process pretty well

http://socialmouths.com/blog/2011/06/23/get-your-ebook-on-the-amazon-kindle-store/

re your cover design - that's probably best done in Photoshop or Indesign or another design package and saved as a J-peg before uploading.

The right photo and the right font - and not a great deal more is needed for a good cover design.

but do spend time on it - there's no doubt about the fact that people do judge a book by the cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

Thank you both. Thats been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

In terms of designing and publishing an ebook I can't sing the praises of fastpencil.com enough. I self published a short story on amazon with them and their website makes the whole process really easy. Publishing on amazon costs money, but you can publish on their marketplace for free.

If you are willing to throw a little money at it, there a literally thousands of super talented artists on deviantart.com who will happily take book cover commissions.

I went down that road for the cover of my WIP novel, which you can view here

It's just the main image without any title text as I haven't actually decided what I'm going to call the novel yet or whether I will be writing under a pseudonym.

I did do a proofing print of the novel with formatted cover art which you can see here

Gryphonboy wrote: »
    Publishing on amazon costs money

no it doesn't - just follow the steps in the article I linked to above and you can have your book for sale on Amazon in a matter of hours - for free.

• Advertisement

alfa beta wrote: »
    no it doesn't - just follow the steps in the article I linked to above and you can have your book for sale on Amazon in a matter of hours - for free.
    It does in the context I was referring to. ie. Through fastpencil http://www.fastpencil.com/company/pricing
    "FastPencil Marketplace, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kindle, iPad and Ingram Digital = $249.99 for eBook only, $299 for both formats (print and eBook)."

i gotcha.

but jaysus, that's a lot of money gryphon.

considering you can publish on amazon for free through kdp and get your stuff into barnes and noble etc through smashwords also free.

i gotcha.

but jaysus, that's a lot of money gryphon.

considering you can publish on amazon for free through kdp and get your stuff into barnes and noble etc through smashwords also free.
    Does the kdp imprint give you an isbn. No.?

no thats true

A self-published friend of mine ordered a block of 10 off Nielsen recently - think that was the minimum you could get direct. Think it was about £120 for ten.

re your earlier post by the way (and the links therein) - print version looks very good

re your earlier post by the way (and the links therein) - print version looks very good
    I was blown away with it. Cost around 60 euro so completely just a one off, but it's basically a book printed on glossy photo paper instead of pulp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

My book is nearly finished (more info soon!) and I'm going to go with BookBaby as they'll do all the formatting and set me up on 11 ebook stores. For extra they will design your cover etc.

Advertisement