Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phaser or flanger?

• 03-01-2005 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

Can someone listen to this clip and tell me if the effect on the guitar is a phaser or a flanger? I think it's a flanger but I can't really tell the difference. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Phaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

No way is that a phaser. Definitely a flanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Listen to the noise 4-5 secs in. Thats what any phasers I use do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

do ya have to sign up to listen to this or somethin? cos i click on it and i go straight to the home page?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Try right click and save target as

• Advertisement

can't do that, me be in work!! grrr:mad:

that sounds like a flanger still. I use a small stone and its nothing like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Are you lot freakin' daffy? It's blatently a phaser pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

phaser! Flange woundnt have that almost digital sound to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    can't do that, me be in work!! grrr:mad:

Doesn't seem to work when I link directly try going here and click on the link:
    http://razoredge.freefronthost.com/

I've tried playing this with my ME-50 and I think the flanger setting sounds closer. What is the difference anyway they're both a variation in pitch right? *goes to google*

• Advertisement

cool.. yeah it definitely doesn't sound like flange anyway.. don't worry about what it is tho,, i think the majority of people think its a phaser, but if you get the same kind of sound with flange then leave it at that.. there's one thing every musician must know..

if it sounds right then by golly, it is right!!

Well after reading this:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Flanging/
    and this:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Phase_Shifting/

and listening to samples from here:
    http://www.modezero.com/gallery2.htm

I still think it's a flanger.
    Although flanging is just one particular type of phasing so they would sound similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Can't get it to download by either clicking on it or trying to save target as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Flanger

I recorded myself playing with both phaser and flanger and I'm (pretty much :D) convinced it's flanger. It sounds more hollow and metallic than phaser.
    http://razoredge.freefronthost.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

phaser, no question.

my phaser will become redundant if it ever sounds like that! Flanger all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Oh for fookseek! It's a PHASER! But if you want to call a phaser a flanger, go wild!

Sounds like a flanger with the rate turned down low. I use a Boss BF-3 flanger and I can make something that sounds very close to that with the rate and manual turned down low and putting up the resonance knob.

as i said earlier people.. if it sounds right then it is right.. it doesn't matter what it says on the pedal!

• Advertisement

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    as i said earlier people.. if it sounds right then it is right.. it doesn't matter what it says on the pedal!

Well I was trying to play the song and I can't get it to sound absolutely right but it would help if I knew that I was using the right effect.

I do agree though, if it sounds right it is right. And it appears that a lot of people can't tell the difference between phaser and flanger anyway. :D

well unless the guy playing the original song is using the same amp and guitar as you, and actually recorded it in your bedroom(or wherever you play), then i doubt you'll get it sounding exactly the same:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I can see why people would think it's a flanger, but it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

An overdriven phaser sounds more like a jet,and an overdriven flanger sounds more like a flying saucer.With that in mind Id go with the phaser but if youve only got a flanger that'll do.

Karac / www.Stoneoceanmusic.com

How do you know what a flying saucer sounds like? :confused:

NotMe wrote:
    How do you know what a flying saucer sounds like? :confused:

I presume a typical flying saucer movie sound from old movies.

Turn the rate knob down on a flanger for the jet plane sound.

Advertisement