Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 6, Z3 compact or Alpha?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

pelemcg wrote: »
    Thread hijack, but does anyone know where the xshot can be got for this price?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Vivo-Xshot-X710L-Qualcomm-801-CPU-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-5-2IPS-Optical-image-stabilization/1961790949.html?s=p

Seller has put a discount on it, only 335 now for 2gb version. Bear in mind there will likely be taxes as its sent with DHL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I had the same decision to make a month ago.

i didn't want to pay for the extra cost of an iphone and since I was on Android at the time (with an S5) I was happy enough in the Android world for a bit longer.

In the end it was a toss up between the Alpha and the Z3 compact. Went for the Z3C mainly due to the better battery. Really happy with the decision. I can 2 days on a single charge. The magnetic charging port means I can use a decent case that covers most of the ports. Also found the OS to be a lot less bloated compared to Samsung's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

NYCityBabe wrote: »
    True. There are many other apps I need too that Nokia just don't support. It's a real shame.
    Yeah, not sure if in Windows 8.1 phone you can install apps like Swiftkey keyboards, Solid Explorer (file manager), screen filter (night reading), dialer one (phone dialer), StuffMerge (composing messages), Lucid browser (lightweight browser), llama (for getting your phone to turn on silent automatically when you are in work etc), notification toggle for personalising which apps i want listed in my pull down menu. That is one advantage Android has being open sourced, developers have access to the code. Especially now with over 5,000 new api in lollipop, developers will have so many new possibilities for apps.

I looked at Sony before when they first brought out the Z1 compact, but it wasn't attractive for me.

But now, almost 2 years on, Sony have
      - finally reduced the bezels on Z3 - there were too big on the Z1 compact when I looked at it, and the corners are rounder
      - reduced the size of their User Interface (menus etc) that sits on top of stock Android - a customized UI made sense on Android years ago when the OS was still developing, but not with kitkat/lollipop. I also like the crispness of the font in the menus.
      - decoupled some apps into the play store, as have Google decoupled many of their apps into the Play Store. So bug fixes or updates to apps can be released regularly through play store. With older versions of Android system or custom apps were updated once every year when a new version of the operating system is released. For Sony that have traditionally being slow to update the operating system on their phones, this is a massive thing.
      - made it easier to disable apps you don't use, so your screens are easier to lay out, in case you're one of the rare few that don't install a launcher such as Nova Launcher/Next launcher/Smart Launcher etc
      - improved the camera software to make it comparable with the best out there, they use to skimp on this
      - introduced that charging app where you can plug in your phone to be charged over night and specify the exact amount of time you want the phone to continue charging. Saves you destroying your battery's lifespan by allowing the phone to keep charging all night
      - their battery stamina mode is great when you are going out of a night and have not charged your phone but need your battery to last
      - have better integration between the android phone, android TV units on their TVs and playstation
      - improved the sound, think of music quality Sony walkmans come to mind, think of great TVs and Sony TVs come to mind, their phone sound/screen has greatly improved, their older phones were terrible viewing angles especially in sunlight
      - made a great reputation for themselves in the Android community for helping developers come up with custom ROMs etc, so should you become bored of your phone, its nice to change the User Interface, so its looks all brand new to you again

As there are so many repair shops out there, you are not typically going to get screwed royally to get your phone fixed.

I can see the attraction of the Z3 over say the heavily skinned Samsung phones. (Yes i know under lollipop, Samsung have cut back on their skin and the lag is greatly reduced....but still is it as light as the Sony?)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

Hi again guys,

Just to update - I went for the Z3 compact. It's very cute in white for us girlies :) Two days in and I really like it. The camera seems fantastic, can't see any fault there. The tones are plenty loud for me. All in all it seems a really nice, easy to use phone. Just hope I don't get any of the cracking screen issues now!

Would definitely recommend it to anyone who want's a real decent camera phone.

Thank you all for your input, you've all been so helpful and kind ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

NYCityBabe wrote: »
    H Just hope I don't get any of the cracking screen issues now!
    Maybe worth a read
    http://blog.clove.co.uk/2014/03/30/sony-xperia-z1-compact-anti-shatter-screen-protector-put-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

1. Steer clear from the Alpha, Samsung are scrapping it from their production line in favour of their new A3 and A5 models. A5 will be similar to the Alpha, but just more reliable and smoother running from how it looks.

2. Sony phones create just as many problems as any other manufacturer from personal experience. Dont discount it.

3. HTC are actually probably the most reliable and middle of the road phone at the moment. I have the M7 myself and while the M8 is a bit meh, it is still probably the most solid phone on the market.

4. Although the number of iPhones sold far outweighs anything else, I have seen a much higher proportion of iPhones being returned as faulty than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

kev_s88 wrote: »
    1. Steer clear from the Alpha, Samsung are scrapping it from their production line in favour of their new A3 and A5 models. A5 will be similar to the Alpha, but just more reliable and smoother running from how it looks.

2. Sony phones create just as many problems as any other manufacturer from personal experience. Dont discount it.

3. HTC are actually probably the most reliable and middle of the road phone at the moment. I have the M7 myself and while the M8 is a bit meh, it is still probably the most solid phone on the market.

4. Although the number of iPhones sold far outweighs anything else, I have seen a much higher proportion of iPhones being returned as faulty than anything else.

Do you think the Z3C is worth the prepay price? Or would you recommend another phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

Phantasos wrote: »
    Do you think the Z3C is worth the prepay price? Or would you recommend another phone?

The Z3c is at least €100 cheaper prepay than most of the other models.
    I would totally recommend it. I'm loving mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Even the thought of a phone cracking by itself would turn me off the manufacturer and model for life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement