Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal

Options
  • 30-01-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Could someone give me the application form to lodge an appeal, as my son did not get a school that is just 1 minute walk from our house instead got a school, which my eldest son is in atm, 20 minutes drive, causes so much hassle with bus and it would be easier to have son in near school.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the school has followed the enrollment policy, there is nothing you can do. If the school didn't, you can appeal under section 29.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Parents/Services/Appeal-against-Permanent-Exclusion-Suspension-or-Refusal-to-Enrol/

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Inconvenience is insufficient grounds for an appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

As the others said if they followed their policy there's no come back. The refusal should have included details of the section 29 process.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ask for a copy of their enrolment policy .
    If you feel that they have breeched it then you have a case .
    I had 50km of driving last year instead of 28 minutes of walking .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Could someone give me the application form to lodge an appeal, as my son did not get a school that is just 1 minute walk from our house instead got a school, which my eldest son is in atm, 20 minutes drive, causes so much hassle with bus and it would be easier to have son in near school.

is it primary or secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

juneg wrote: »

Clue may be in the forum name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

juneg wrote: »

Secondary. He is finishing primary this year.

Clue may be in the forum name
    Ooops...:o:o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

after you've got a copy of the enrolment policy if you feel you have a valid case for taking a Section 29 appeal, worth getting in touch with educational welfare offices to get their help and advice on filling out the form. However, just a warning that Section 29s can be extremely difficult to win as schools generally are so careful now to make sure they adhere to their policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

what happens if another child fell into the same category (same age also) as the OP... and got a place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

if the school followed its enrolment policy and became full with right of entry students often it fills the rest of its places with random selection (which should also have a list of criteria on how the randomness works). you would need to see the policy to see how all places are allocated, even down to if a child allocated a place doesn't take up the place subsequently.

Advertisement