Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dji Phantom 2 insurance

Options
  • 26-01-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

So I picked up one of those bad boys last week. Massive fan of it and it's great fun to fly. I read a lot of stuff online about "fly-aways" and other weirdness happening with the phantom. I'm not using it for anything other than my own pleasure and making some videos with the GoPro.

As I dropped a hefty amount on this this I want to insure it encase the worst happens. I've no idea how to go about this? Do I need need gadget insurance or different insurance?

Any one here bothered to insure a Phantom or have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Bump? Has no one tried to insure their Phantoms?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I have mine insured as part of my camera insurance.

Thanks - did that on Friday morning. Happy to be covered now as I had a silly crash into a tree yesterday. I got lucky and only cracked the leg (bonded and taped back together - good as new) but if I was unlucky I'd be well out of pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm curious; how much is the insured value, what is the premiums and what exactly is covered?

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I'm curious; how much is the insured value, what is the premiums and what exactly is covered?

Total value of GoPro 3 Black+, Drone and H3-3D Gimbal. I explicitly called them out and their individual values. Covers lost, damaged or stolen. I'm mid policy so was a small add on. Think it adds 65 euro a year to the total cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Ok, but how much in euros? Surely it must be very expensive - I mean the underwriter's risk is huge. What is the excess payment for a claim?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I doubt you'd be covered if you crashed and destroyed your Phantom.

I doubt you'd be covered if you crashed and destroyed your Phantom.

My policy covers loss through accidental damage or theft. I called out this exact scenario and was told it would be covered. I had them add it to my policy explicitly for use (and loss) out and away from home.

The terms of my policy states it provides for the loss or damage to items explicitly named on the policy both inside and outside the home. I have to pay extra for each item on that list. It's not part of the standard home insurance quote.

Would love to hear your theory to why not though? I don't want them to have some weird clause to get out of it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Reati wrote: »
    My policy covers loss through accidental damage or theft. I called out this exact scenario and was told it would be covered. I had them add it to my policy explicitly for use (and loss) out and away from home.

The terms of my policy states it provides for the loss or damage to items explicitly named on the policy both inside and outside the home. I have to pay extra for each item on that list. It's not part of the standard home insurance quote.

Would love to hear your theory to why not though? I don't want them to have some weird clause to get out of it on.

Hi,

Who are you insured with, is it an extension of House insurance or?

Iv no house insurance (renting)

Cheers

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi,

Who are you insured with, is it an extension of House insurance or?

Iv no house insurance (renting)

Cheers

Nononsense - part of the house insurance. I'm renting too, you just pick that choice when you buy insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My view is that it is possible to get cover for liability caused by an r/c machine, but can't see how that would extend to damage to the machine itself, possibly caused by poor flying. I'd be asking for clarification in writing.

My view is that it is possible to get cover for liability caused by an r/c machine, but can't see how that would extend to damage to the machine itself, possibly caused by poor flying. I'd be asking for clarification in writing.

I'm covered (in writing from the insurer) for accidental lost or damage to both the Drone and the Camera exact models are detailed. Damage is damage - its up to the person insured to figure out if the cost of a claim and excess is more costly than paying for the repairs.

I'm not too concerned about damage I do to the drone - I'll buy parts and fix it where it makes sense. I've it insured in the event of a total loss where a claim is sensible. I can't see how the insurer can say "no cover" for something that is explicitly covered in the policy writing as an extra risk for use outside the home.

I'll ask for further clarifaction though - it's best be safe.

Advertisement