Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motocross beginner

Options
  • 05-08-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm 15 years old and weigh 150lbs and I'm 5'11" in height. I want to start motocross but haven't a notion on what type of bike to get. I have a rough idea of the ins and outs of bikes but motocross is pretty new to me. I've ridden quads quite a bit but only been on a motocross bike once. I'm pretty sure that I've passed the stage of 80ccs but I don't know whether or not I should go for a 125 which I assume is preferable or a 250 and then there's the issue of a two stroke or four stroke. Any information or advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jasonob221

If you still want an answer I'd say go for a 125 2 stroke. Your way to tall for an 85 and maintenance on the 125 is small change compared to what some people pay to keep 4 strokes running. Also the 2 stroke is a doddle to work on yourself there's no cams valves or timing chain. Just when your going to get the bike go for a good preowned one I'd recommend yamaha or ktm but brand doesn't matter as long as it's in good condition. Bring someone that knows about these kind of bikes to give it a good once over and you should be fine.
    Best of luck with it
    If you have any more questions fire away

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JackDuffin

jasonob221 wrote: »
    If you still want an answer I'd say go for a 125 2 stroke. Your way to tall for an 85 and maintenance on the 125 is small change compared to what some people pay to keep 4 strokes running. Also the 2 stroke is a doddle to work on yourself there's no cams valves or timing chain. Just when your going to get the bike go for a good preowned one I'd recommend yamaha or ktm but brand doesn't matter as long as it's in good condition. Bring someone that knows about these kind of bikes to give it a good once over and you should be fine.
    Best of luck with it
    If you have any more questions fire away

Thanks for your advice😊
    What is a good price point to pay, I'm still saving and have been looking regularly for pre-owned bikes and I've seen 125s go for anything between €1000 and €2500, there's no way I will afford €2500 but I was thinking around €1500 would be my max. Would this be a reasonable price to pay for a 125 2 stroke?

JackDuffin wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice😊
    What is a good price point to pay, I'm still saving and have been looking regularly for pre-owned bikes and I've seen 125s go for anything between €1000 and €2500, there's no way I will afford €2500 but I was thinking around €1500 would be my max. Would this be a reasonable price to pay for a 125 2 stroke?
    You should have no problem picking up a good 125 for 1500 or less but don't believe everything that the seller says is done to the bike without any receipts or proof and give the bike a good once over - check compression use a compression tester if you have one or just push the kick start down with your hand you should feel a push back if you don't walk away check wheel, headstock and swingarm bearings (if there's any side to side play they're going or gone) check air filter and listen to how it runs any knocks or rattles don't buy it and take it for a test drive check if it goes into the powerband, how it changes gear and check the clutch. Very long winded answer but very important you check as much as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JackDuffin

jasonob221 wrote: »
    You should have no problem picking up a good 125 for 1500 or less but don't believe everything that the seller says is done to the bike without any receipts or proof and give the bike a good once over - check compression use a compression tester if you have one or just push the kick start down with your hand you should feel a push back if you don't walk away check wheel, headstock and swingarm bearings (if there's any side to side play they're going or gone) check air filter and listen to how it runs any knocks or rattles don't buy it and take it for a test drive check if it goes into the powerband, how it changes gear and check the clutch. Very long winded answer but very important you check as much as you can

This is excellent advice, thank you so much. My father knows his way around bikes and has taught me a thing or two so he should be able to show me how well or how poorly the bike is running

JackDuffin wrote: »
    This is excellent advice, thank you so much. My father knows his way around bikes and has taught me a thing or two so he should be able to show me how well or how poorly the bike is running
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You get some rare gems for 1500 quid but what i'd say is be prepared to spend 2k for the right bike, a fresh bike is well with the extra 500 quid in saved maintenance over time. All you'll get for a grand is either something stolen or an utter lemon. Oh and if you are looking on donedeal etc, there is quite a large bike shop who has 50 ads up there, specifically deals in off Road bikes, they are based in the south east (very near me), avoid them like the plague!

Timmaay wrote: »
    You get some rare gems for 1500 quid but what i'd say is be prepared to spend 2k for the right bike, a fresh bike is well with the extra 500 quid in saved maintenance over time. All you'll get for a grand is either something stolen or an utter lemon. Oh and if you are looking on donedeal etc, there is quite a large bike shop who has 50 ads up there, specifically deals in off Road bikes, they are based in the south east (very near me), avoid them like the plague!
    Is the shop your talking about muck and fun by any chance?

Advertisement