Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing confidence

• 30-01-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Am about 25k words into a novel that I thought was going well - interesting characters, strong plot etc. Now I am doubting myself. The lead character has quite a few flaws and I'm not sure she's likeable. Do any other writers begin to doubt their novel in terms of plot, prose, marketability? Just feeling unsure of myself now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yep, it happens to almost everyone. There's a point where you run out of energy and enthusiasm and the entire novel seems like a steaming pile of crap, and you can't imagine why anyone would care about it, or why it's worth finishing it.

The only way out is through. Sit down and write the damn thing, even if you think it's terrible. Remember, you can edit pure ****e into something decent, but you can't edit a blank page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You could change your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Thanks Eileen,

Feeling better about it today. I know it's a good plot, was just starting to doubt my storytelling ability I guess. Your response has given that little boost I needed - I love writing but it is a very solo experience. Would be nice to be able to chat to other people about my writing, so may join a creative writing group. Will keep writing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd definitely advise a writing group or a class. Writing in isolation can be difficult.

If you're having a day where you're feeling very negative about what you've written, don't edit that day, move on to the next part, or try to get some character sketches or plot points down. It's good to be realistic when self-editing, but if you're down on yourself you could end up being too harsh and losing something that could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I personally find it impossible to edit while I'm still writing, or more than just deleting the odd adverb. Get the story down, then write the synopsis, then edit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

EileenG wrote: »
    I personally find it impossible to edit while I'm still writing, or more than just deleting the odd adverb. Get the story down, then write the synopsis, then edit.

I'm usually writing / editing a few things at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Happens to everyone.
    Only suggestion I have is maybe have the character come to a similar reasoning and go through some personal changes? It adds another layer to the story and fixes your characters flaws!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Inquisition

Pessimist wrote: »
    Would be nice to be able to chat to other people about my writing, so may join a creative writing group. Will keep writing.

If you want someone to read anything you've written sometime, I like to read... So, feel free to ask if you want some encouragement! Or if you just want to talk about some cool ideas I'd enjoy listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Can tell it is going to be a rollercoaster ride, but just can't hop off! Have reworked a few of the thought processes for the main character as she really is meant to be growing and maturing - that's sort of the point of the story. Very new to writing so may take you up on that Inquisition. Have been reading some of the writing books that were recommended in a previous thread and really finding them helpful, especially the advice to show not tell and to flesh out a scene (emotion, noise, temp, smell etc). Will keep writing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Pessimist wrote: »
    Can tell it is going to be a rollercoaster ride, but just can't hop off! Have reworked a few of the thought processes for the main character as she really is meant to be growing and maturing - that's sort of the point of the story. Very new to writing so may take you up on that Inquisition. Have been reading some of the writing books that were recommended in a previous thread and really finding them helpful, especially the advice to show not tell and to flesh out a scene (emotion, noise, temp, smell etc). Will keep writing!

Keep writing. We all lack motivation and doubt ourselves now and then and most times it's all for nothing. Keep up the good work. I love to read. I couldn't write a good story to save my life, but if you need someone to read a draft ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement