Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-Garda convicted of criminal damage to a prehistoric stone circle

Options
  • 30-01-2015 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Interesting case:
    Ex-Garda ‘likely to have disturbed human remains’ at protected monument

A RETIRED GARDA is likely to have “removed and disturbed human remains” when he damaged a Bronze Age burial mound in County Wicklow, a court has heard.
    Archeologist Chris Corlett told the court he visited the site on May 6, 2011 and noticed obvious disturbances within the burial chamber and that stones had been recently dislodged and moved.
    Mr Corlett told Paul Murray BL, prosecuting, that he had visited the 4,000-year-old site over 20 times in the last decade.

He said there was evidence of at least one burial chamber or compartment which would have contained urns of the cremated remains of local people buried over thousands of years and their accompanying “grave goods”.

“We could expect to find highly-decorated pottery food vessels, amber beads and metal artefacts of very rare and international significance,” said Mr Corlett.

The site is protected under the National Monuments Act by a Preservation Order laid down by former Environment Minister Dick Roche in 2005.

Full article here: http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-monument-remains-1911185-Jan2015/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Wonder what his sentence will be?

Also what was he hoping to do with the stones?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Well done Christiaan Corlett, who gave this lunatic every chance to stop what he was doing.
    This guy reckoned he was untouchable, so here's hoping the sentence is commensurate with the crime and that a strong message is sent out to would be offenders.
    And if he took artefacts from the monument, let's hope they are recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have concerns over the 'reckoned he was untouchable' part of the post above.

He said he had not sought ministerial permission to work on the site “because it wasn’t necessary”. So much for his knowledge of the law regarding the state's protection of ancient monuments.

Is there any indication that the miscreant was using his former occupation as a cover/blind/rationale for his thieving activities?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Did Gardai search his property? (or e-bay)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was his aim?

• Advertisement

what was his aim?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Was this the guy on e*** offering historic rocks for sale?

tac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

tac foley wrote: »
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Was this the guy on e*** offering historic rocks for sale?

tac
    Don't think so. The 'historic rocks' were in Wexford. This guy is in west Wicklow.

Hmm, bearing mind how small Ireland is, I don't think we are talking about a couple of thousand miles here, right?

My home province is twelve times bigger than the entire island, so you can understand my lack of comprehension about a couple of miles between two counties........ :)

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Hmm, bearing mind how small Ireland is, I don't think we are talking about a couple of thousand miles here, right?

My home province is twelve times bigger than the entire island, so you can understand my lack of comprehension about a couple of miles between two counties........ :)

tac

No, we're not talking about great distances but we are talking about different environments. The Wexford stones were from a mountainous area, probably on the Wexford/Carlow border or thereabouts and the cairn in West Wicklow is in pasture.
    Culturally, historically and in many other ways, the two areas might as well be thousands of miles apart. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Guilty party mentioned in the OP got 18 months suspended sentence and a fine of €10,000.

http://newsfeed.eastcoast.fm/2015/02/former-garda-receives-suspended.html

• Advertisement

No sentence at all then.

Isn't that just one year of living without some of his Garda pension, unless, of course, that has been stopped as a result of his criminal activity?

I'd be happy to learn that that has happened.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

He's appealing the sentence.

If he gets an unsympathetic judge he could end up with a custodial sentence instead of a 'promise I'll be good for a year' sentence'.

AND a bigger fine.

I'm good with that.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Where is the rescue excavation (paid for by the criminal) and possible reconstruction?

Advertisement