Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICU tournament membership requirements

• 27-01-2015 1:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭

Rules Governing ICU Membership and Participation in Tournaments
    Pat Fitzsimons
    With effect from the 1st of February the following rules will apply to all tournaments (other than international team tournaments held under the auspices of the ICU, such as The Glorney Gilbert International) held in Ireland which are ICU rated:
    All participants in such tournaments, irrespective of their nationality or native chess federation, must be fully subscribed members of the ICU.
    No person can be accepted as a participant in any tournament governed by these rules unless he/she fulfils the above condition.
    The responsibility rests with the organisers of the tournaments in question to ensure that these rules are fully implemented.
    Where a person wishes to become a member of the ICU in order to participate in a tournament or event, the organisers should facilitate the collection of the requisite fee prior to the commencement of the tournament or event through the use of the ICU online subscription form.
    Where a player who is not a member of the ICU participates in a tournament governed by these rules, the tournament or event organisers will be liable.
    The ICU reserves the right to take action in cases where it perceives that the organisers of a tournament have been negligent in applying these rules or have been persistent offenders in this regard. Such action may include refusal to rate the tournament as a whole, withdrawal of grants to the organisers in question, and any other action which the ICU deems appropriate

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

This is great now as ICu will get so many GM and IM s . I would like to see them registering and playing for clubs. I have already asked GM Bogdan Lalic to join Enniscorthy - he might play game or two ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

While I agree with the rule in principal I am amazed that the rule has been introduced with immediate affect.

Instead of introducing the rule why not just ask the sponsor for a cheque for x amount as that is what is going to happen. It does appear without knowing the full facts that the ICU are attacking the Bunratty tournament as they do not agree with how they run things. It seems extremely shortsighted. Instead of supporting a tournament that has been organised where Ireland can produce its first home grown GM and is hosting probably the strongest weekend tournament in Ireland and quite possibly anywhere in the world the ICU introduce this petty rule immediately.

If the ICU felt they had to introduce the rule the only fair way would have been to give a notice period of say 6 months so all organiser's are aware and have time to plan.

I can only assume the ICU exec have lost the plot voting in this rule immediately and I expect it to backfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'm just looking at the rating info for Kilkenny to get a sense of the scale of the problem.

Masters: 24 players, 8 foreign (rating not tracked).
    Major: 48 players, 1 foreign
    James Mason: 47 players, 3 foreign, 1 "new" rating (player seems to be very active but not a member, unless it's just a new player of the same name)
    Challengers: 87 players, 20 new, 12 unrated ICU members.

I'm not too sympathetic to active Irish-based players who aren't ICU members, but there don't seem to be many of these, probably as a result of the LCU leagues requiring ICU membership. So this affects two kinds of people:
    1. Foreign players. Masters getting conditions won't see this; instead the cost will be borne by the regular players (already ICU members) paying tournament entry fees. Weaker foreign players will be discouraged from entry by the tournament entry fee effectively doubling. I don't really see any benefit from either of these.

2. New players. I'm in two minds here: on one hand, I think the ICU needs to do more to steer new players towards competitive play (most school players never even hear of tournaments or the ICU), but on the other hand, this places an additional cost on players entering their first tournament, and therefore an additional barrier to entry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

How many of those Irish-based players haven't paid fees for this year though?

That info won't show up on the ratings site. For existing (or one-time) members, ratings are tracked regardless of whether you've paid fees this year.

(I don't think it's that many as you say, but it's just something I don't think you've covered fully above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

With effect from the 1st of February the following rules will apply to all tournaments (other than international team tournaments held under the auspices of the ICU, such as The Glorney Gilbert International) held in Ireland which are ICU rated:

All participants in such tournaments, irrespective of their nationality or native chess federation, must be fully subscribed members of the ICU.

No person can be accepted as a participant in any tournament governed by these rules unless he/she fulfils the above condition.

The responsibility rests with the organisers of the tournaments in question to ensure that these rules are fully implemented.

Where a person wishes to become a member of the ICU in order to participate in a tournament or event, the organisers should facilitate the collection of the requisite fee prior to the commencement of the tournament or event through the use of the ICU online subscription form.

Where a player who is not a member of the ICU participates in a tournament governed by these rules, the tournament or event organisers will be liable.

The ICU reserves the right to take action in cases where it perceives that the organisers of a tournament have been negligent in applying these rules or have been persistent offenders in this regard. Such action may include refusal to rate the tournament as a whole, withdrawal of grants to the organisers in question, and any other action which the ICU deems appropriate.

Outright absurd to be posted on the ICU site 5 days before in comes into effect. Does this apply to FIDE rated events held in Ireland but not ICU rated? What happened to minutes and transparency? Why were members not informed?

I can see the benefit of not joining the ICU and running tournaments not rated by the ICU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

mikhail wrote: »
    2. New players. I'm in two minds here: on one hand, I think the ICU needs to do more to steer new players towards competitive play (most school players never even hear of tournaments or the ICU), but on the other hand, this places an additional cost on players entering their first tournament, and therefore an additional barrier to entry.

I don't think it's a huge barrier. The subscription for new Junior players is only €10,
    while new adult players will be well used to exorbitant hobby related expenses.

I do not think that this is a problem at all .
    This is normal in all States where I used to play . I played tournament in Hungary - had to pay the fee,Italy - same . In USA you have to pay fee in all States etc. It is time that players playing here in Ireland support Irish Chess .

Tournament organizer gets from ICU
    1. Free adds and promotion at the ICU web site
    2. Free post in ICU calendar
    3. Free rating - all players rated members and non members
    4. 500 euro support in the past
    5. Database of players etc

ICU from Tournament Organizer

1.Nothing
    2.Nothing
    3.Nothing etc

Note that this was planned for long and it is just good time for it .

Regarding Master tournament - I think and I might be wrong that the National Organization should send the results to FIDE and it is up to Organization to do so .
    As well one GM cost to bring him or her to Ireland is around 1000 euro if not more .

For that money 50 of them could be subscribed ICU members . What is in your opinion more important for you ?

For the end ICU will give support to tournament organizers of 2 e per ICU member and 5 e For new subscribed member . I think this is fair but I might be wrong .

1.Nothing
    2.Nothing
    3.Nothing etc

Lets not forget that the ICU exists to serve the chess playing public and not the other way around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

“All participants in such tournaments, irrespective of their nationality or native chess federation, must be fully subscribed members of the ICU.”

This would seem to add a lot of unnecessary expense to Irish tournaments for foreign players. I believe there’s quite a strong UK delegation that plays in Bunratty every year, they might find it off-putting, except maybe for the GMs who might have their membership paid by the organisers.

@Chess Coach

When did you play in Italy and have to stump up for Italian Chess Federation membership? I played there last September and didn’t have to pay anything extra beyond the normal tournament entry fee.

Anyone who wants to play here in France can do so without joining the FFE providing they're already members of another national federation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I've played a number of foreign tournaments and not had to join the foreign federation as well. Unless it was built into the entry fees or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 CCYM

I've played in Italy, Germany and Austria in the last 2 years and was never ordered to join and subscribe to their national federation.

CCYM wrote: »
    I've played in Italy, Germany and Austria in the last 2 years and was never ordered to join and subscribe to their national federation.

Quick derail. Can you recommend any of the tournaments you went to? I'm always on the look-out for new tournaments to go to.

I do not think that this is a problem at all .
    This is normal in all States where I used to play . I played tournament in Hungary - had to pay the fee,Italy - same . In USA you have to pay fee in all States etc. It is time that players playing here in Ireland support Irish Chess .

Can you please link me to chess federations that mandate you must be a full member if you are a foreign player to compete? I note that the British chess federation has a per tournament fee OR a yearly fee but you certainly don't need to be a full member.

Irrespective if this is a good idea or not, it is rather moronic to decide a new rule (with severe implications) and only give 5 days notice. Particularly when it affects tournaments currently advertised and people's travel plans.
    Tournament organizer gets from ICU
    1. Free adds and promotion at the ICU web site
    2. Free post in ICU calendar
    3. Free rating - all players rated members and non members
    4. 500 euro support in the past
    5. Database of players etc

for 5. You are confusing an arbiter with an organizer. An arbiter submits the games to be rated and has access to the database of players (FIDE has a database free of charge too).

For 3. players are paying for this rating not the organizers.

For 4. This is not applicable currently so how is that even a point?

For 1 and 2, typically it's the organizers that write the comments which are published and quite frankly, I don't remember the last time I checked either of these things for notification about a tournament. Usually there are leaflets at other tournaments and word of mouth is probably the best advertising. The advertising the ICU offers wouldn't make up the loss of foreign or new players.

1.Nothing
    2.Nothing
    3.Nothing etc

Loads of people playing chess? advertisement in papers? a chance at a GM norm for our players? Sponsors? Experience for our Arbiters? Without tournament organizers, the ICU just runs the Irish Championships (and Juniors) and National Club Championships. The Irish Chess scene would look pretty lonely. At the moment, the bulk of people pay membership fees BECAUSE of tournament organizers.

The ICU needs the organizers more than they need the ICU. And that comments just confirms you have never run a tournament in your life.
    Note that this was planned for long and it is just good time for it .

Was it planned? because we find out on the 27th that it is to be law in 6 days. If it was planned, there would be a grace period (and it would apply from the start of the membership year).

The last conversation I heard on the matter, the agreement was to let new/unrated players play until they have a rating, then they are required to pay the membership Capitation fee.
    Regarding Master tournament - I think and I might be wrong that the National Organization should send the results to FIDE and it is up to Organization to do so .
    As well one GM cost to bring him or her to Ireland is around 1000 euro if not more .

AS far as I'm aware FIDE bill the ICU a set amount each year. FIDE do not care if the tournament has or hasn't ICU members.

Other GM's are free, depending on how well you know them, previous dealings, prize fund, etc.
    For the end ICU will give support to tournament organizers of 2 e per ICU member and 5 e For new subscribed member . I think this is fair but I might be wrong .

No it's horrifically stupid. Cork Congress is in March, Galway is in Sept/Oct. The bulk of players will have signed up in Galway, meaning there is no incentive for Cork to do anything or a fair distribution of money. Meaning Galway will get more money then Cork. I'd rather a full schedule of good tournaments rather than 1 good tournament.

Does this mean all the club championships in clubs now get €2 or €5 per member? I don't see ANYTHING on the announcement about this. Why aren't people informed about this?
    ICU site wrote:
    "Competition" means any tournament, league, match or any other competition in which ICU members participate, including "rapid chess" competitions but excluding both internal club championships, speed and lightning chess events, and events under the auspices of the IJCA and ICCA or the Community games.

Someone better tell the Community games they better fork over all those membership fees.
    Lucena wrote: »
    This would seem to add a lot of unnecessary expense to Irish tournaments for foreign players. I believe there’s quite a strong UK delegation that plays in Bunratty every year, they might find it off-putting, except maybe for the GMs who might have their membership paid by the organisers.

They have a valid point for foreign players about the fees IF there was a lower rate available for an individual tournament.

For a beginner, €35 before you include entry, accommodation, food and travel is a bit unrealistic and WILL hurt numbers.

Again another discouragement to university players. Many erasmus students won't pay €20 + accommodation + entry fee + travel + food. They need a per tournament/weekend fee (€5?) otherwise it becomes too expensive for an erasmus student to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CCYM

Hi Lucena,
    I've played in Ischia (July/August) which is a small island (next to Capri) off the coast of Naples and details of the tournament can be found at their website (which for some reason I can't post). Vienna is a tournament that's run every 2 years in August and 2015 is the designated year. It is held in the Vienna Town Hall and is another great location and well organised tournament they also have a website. I've also played in Baden-Baden in Germany but my favourite ones are either Vienna or Ischia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ICU site wrote:
    "Competition" means any tournament, league, match or any other competition in which ICU members participate, including "rapid chess" competitions but excluding both internal club championships, speed and lightning chess events, and events under the auspices of the IJCA and ICCA or the Community games.
    Are the various club charity events included in that group of exclusions?
    Just saying, it'd be kindof nice if they got a specific mention, so it doesn't look like the ICU wants a cut of any charity donations raised by clubs.

CCYM wrote: »
    Hi Lucena,
    I've played in Ischia (July/August) which is a small island (next to Capri) off the coast of Naples and details of the tournament can be found at their website (which for some reason I can't post). Vienna is a tournament that's run every 2 years in August and 2015 is the designated year. It is held in the Vienna Town Hall and is another great location and well organised tournament they also have a website. I've also played in Baden-Baden in Germany but my favourite ones are either Vienna or Ischia.

Thanks CCYM! What was B-B like? I live within driving distance of the place, and often thought about entering. I've been to the town itself, and it seemed a bit, well, retirement village for rich people, didn't seem like there'd be much crack in the evenings after the games.

Regarding not being able to post, I think you need to have 50 posts to your name before you can post links, to stop people just signing up to promote whatever.

I sure hope that everyone at this simul are full members registered with the ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

One of the nice things about chess is how one can visit a chess club anywhere in the world, and even without speaking the local language, one can get a game and feel welcome. The same holds true for players entering tournaments in most European countries. So long as the player is a member of a federation affiliated to FIDE, then he or she is allowed to play without becoming a member of that country's chess federation. (The US seems to be an exception, where USCF membership, as already noted, is mandatory). It's a sad day when the land of the Cead Mile Failte, becomes one of "Give us your €35 first".

While it's a good idea to insist on players, resident in Ireland, being paid up members of the ICU, taxing our visitors will be counterproductive to all Irish tournaments, not just Bunratty.

The major threat for tournaments that don't check and insist on ICU membership seems to be rescinding of the ICU grant money, followed by possible non-rating of the event.

In Bunratty's case, they are big enough and have enough funding not to need the €300 grant. However, if the ICU rating officer refused to rate the event, I for one, will be asking why my games, as a paid up member, have not been rated.

If the worst comes to the worst, the ICU rating system could be replicated elsewhere. All the software is open source, and it shouldn't be too hard to get a copy of the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I invited five players over from the UK for a tournament last year and hosted them for the weekend.

The flights cost €27, the bus cost €26, and the competition entry cost €15.
    I strongly suspect that a further €35 would have prevented any of them from coming - despite the prestige and rewards that come with becoming part of Ireland's wonderful chess union...

The membership for Overseas players is only 20 e per year

• Advertisement

From what I have heard, the people who run the Bunratty, Cork, Drogheda, Galway, Kilkenny and Malahide tournaments have got together and written to the executive asking to talk about this change. A sensible modification of the new rule would be that all players must be current paid-up members of a chess federation affiliated with FIDE. If not, then you have to join the ICU. This is fair and reasonable, welcoming to foreign visitors.

From what I have heard, the people who run the Bunratty, Cork, Drogheda, Galway, Kilkenny and Malahide tournaments have got together and written to the executive asking to talk about this change. This is an indication of how seriously the organizers take this new rule.

A sensible modification of the new rule would be that all players must be current paid-up members of a chess federation affiliated with FIDE. If not, then you have to join the ICU. This is fair and reasonable, welcoming to foreign visitors.

What I have heard is that Disciplinary actions might be taken against individuals who sabotage the ICU . That might not be true but lets see.

I would suggest that ICU Executive will stay firm on this decision .

I would suggest that ICU Executive will stay firm on this decision .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 maol

The ICU committee is elected to serve the chess community in Ireland. Of course it has to raise funds, but this idea sounds more like sucking something out of the chess community than helping it. I've played chess in many European countries and the issue of joining the national federation has never arisen.

Maol
    Bunratty Chess Congress got as I know might be wrong 2500 euro in past 5 years from ICU . All we wanted is that all players are ICU members . Is that to much . That actually was written at tournaments leaflets in the past .
    Now most European Countries have funding from State and Sponsors as in the most European States Chess is a Sport .
    All other tournaments are organized by clubs only Bunratty chess tournament is Private Business which makes profit to Organizer . Which club or chess community is behind this tournament ?
    Why would I pay my membership and others playing tournament not .
    Now back to your post - most European States do not have double rating just the FIDE one. So Organizer is paying 1 e per game . Lets now translate this to Irish Chess Union on base of 50 cents per game . How much money that would be ?
    Do you know any organization that will rate games of non members ? Tell me which one pls ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

From the Bunratty Website terms & conditions...
    All Irish participants must be current members of the ICU and in good standing. Anyone who's membership has been revoked shall not be allowed to enter the tournament until such time as they are reinstated.

What has been done is the ICU have stated that a rule (that has been in existence for as long as I can remember) will once again be enforced, as some tournaments were simply not enforcing it. They also now added foreign players to it, and outlined penalties tournaments could face for not enforcing it.

Evidence of this can been seen from the list of entries for Bunratty prior to the ICU announcement that is floating around and was agreed to by the tournament organizer of Bunratty. That close to (if not more than) half the entrants were not subscribed members of the ICU, nor were they likely to be.

What was the ICU to do? Enforce it now, or wait until after Bunratty? In which case people would call foul since the tournament organizer of Bunratty is on the ICU exec.

I am curious as to what people are upset about...
    That the existing rule will once again be enforced? That foreign players were added to it? That it will come into effect for Bunratty?

If I could just add that all Foriegn players playing NCC must be members of the ICU . One of the most passionate people to defend this enforcement was indeed Bunratty Chess congress organizer .

From ICU NCC rules

All players must be members of the club they are representing. For the purposes of these rules, in order to be considered a member of the club, a player must satisfy at least one of the following conditions (or an equivalent at the discretion of the arbiter):
    He/she has played for the club in at least two previous National Club Championships.
    He/she has played for the club in a provincial league at least three times in the current season.
    He/she lives or works within the local area of the club.

It's absurd to ask someone who is jetting in just for Bunratty to pay a membership fee to a foreign federation on top of all of their other expenses. And if they decide to play Kilkenny or another tournament later in the year they have to pay again as a subscription runs from Sep to Aug? :rolleyes:

The rule is anti-chess and needs to be modified

• Advertisement

Good lets then follow the FIDE example

Fide charges 1 e per rated game. The fee is paid by Organizer .
    ICU is sorting rating for this tournament . How about 50 cents charge for all rated games ?

To have one GM at tournament cost from 500e to 1000e depends on traveling cost and condition .
    Is it really that big problem to add extra 20 e ?

In the past 5 years Bunratty Chess Congress got 500 e per year from ICU . Dont you think that is maybe just kind or nice to help ICU as well . Is this really such a big problem .

Why the NCC players have to pay ICU membership ?

Good lets then follow the FIDE example

Fide charges 1 e per rated game. The fee is paid by Organizer .
    ICU is sorting rating for this tournament . How about 50 cents charge for all rated games ?

Maybe it is time. It might also provoke more people to start wondering why they're even paying €35 yearly to the ICU. To send some juniors and their coaches to exotic places on chess holidays?

For that reason I never went anywhere with Juniors in 4 years .

Regarding junior costs. As a Junior Officer I made savings to ICU budget of 4000 e per year.
    I have introduced Coaching fee for parents of 70 e per child which will increase now . As well we are the only Federation giving support to juniors for Glorney and Faber . I am in favor this to be minimized in next years.
    Now I am working to secure fund from ECU for Glorney Cup and in March this year this should be finalized.
    However I am not aware that any ICU money was spent on other then Glorney Cup trips.

ICU is enforcing old law - all players playing Irish tournaments must be ICU members and we are just adding foreign players to it . Same is in USA where State did not recognize Chess as a Sport .

So ICU should not just hand over 500 e free money to Organizer who is not willing to enforce the rule written on the forms when advertising the event ! Simple

Could you please tell us who are the coaches and juniors traveling to exotic places ? Who are they please ?

That the existing rule will once again be enforced? That foreign players were added to it? That it will come into effect for Bunratty?
    I'm a bit puzzled now.
    Bunratty's website today says:
    Due to some uncertainty regarding the recent posting by Pat Fitzsimons on the ICU web regarding ICU membership and entry into chess tournaments I have set out below the position regarding the upcoming Bunratty Chess festival.

We have a contract with players who have entered the event, these are set out in our Terms & Conditions and are binding on all players. http://www.bunrattychess.com/terms.php.

We also have a contract with the ICU in their Bye-laws for Membership of the Irish Chess Union http://www.icu.ie/icu/membership_byelaws particularly paragraph 10.

Therefore we will run Bunratty 2015 as we have run the event since 1994 namely:

Foreign based players including those of the Ulster Chess Union will be exempt of ICU membership as per the aforementioned Paragraph 10.
    First time players and those with no rating will not be required to have ICU membership.
    Established players resident in the Republic of Ireland will be subject to our aforementioned Terms & Conditions.
    We will assist the ICU Membership Officer in these matters as we have done in the past.

Signed,

Ted Jennings FA

On behalf of the Bunratty Chess Festival Committee.

And the byelaws they're citing say:
    All Irish participants must be current members of the ICU and in good standing. Anyone who's membership has been revoked shall not be allowed to enter the tournament until such time as they are reinstated.
    Foreign players whose ordinary residence is outside the island of Ireland shall not be subject to payment of any fee or subscription to the ICU for participating in Irish tournaments (other than the Irish Chess Championships), upon production of proof that they are affiliated to another national body which is a member of FIDE.

But the first post in here says:

So which is it?
    • Is it that foreign players don't have to be members of the ICU and we're using the old rules and this is all a fuss over nothing?
    • Or is it that we're changing from the old rules to a new rule and now foreign players must join the ICU (and "foreign" here would include anyone driving down from across the border)?

Sparks wrote: »
    So which is it?
    • Is it that foreign players don't have to be members of the ICU and we're using the old rules and this is all a fuss over nothing?
    • Or is it that we're changing from the old rules to a new rule and now foreign players must join the ICU (and "foreign" here would include anyone driving down from across the border)?

Well see this is the problem, the new ruling effects some tournaments in a season but doesn't affect others. Also it didn't give enough notice (6 days is a joke).

Quite frankly, the ICU executive must be insane to think that this could be implemented within 6 days and for tournaments already advertised. Seemingly the ICU executive aren't able to read their own bye-laws and change them in 6 days either.

What would be supported (or at least common sense):
    Players with ratings (and are IRL (or no registration) with FIDE) should be full ICU members.

Non-IRL shouldn't pay full membership but rather a per tournament rating fee.

Unrated players shouldn't be required to pay for membership until they have a rating.

I can only guess that this was the worst kind of rushed job to target one event. I've also heard that the ICU executive wants more money for the Glorney this year and they rushed these rules thinking that it was a gold mine. Where is the transparency? where are the minutes?
    • Poor notice - 6 days
    • The way this impacts tournaments already advertised
    • The rushed and non transparent nature of this new ruling
    • Why it only effects some tournaments this year and not others
    • The blatant targeting of the Bunratty chess festival particularly the masters section - where is the ICU's mention of the GM norm chance on the ICU website? or the publicity for the event?
    • The impact to new players without ratings who will now have to pay effectively a double entry fee - of which the minor section subsidies the other events. This could impact the viability of every section.
    • The reduction in Foreign players competing in Irish tournaments
    • The shortsightness of this ruling
    • The poor communication from the ICU executive to it's members

Why has this been implemented now? Why hasn't this been put on the website for members feedback? Why has their been no mention of this? We have the development officer here saying that organizers get a per membership signup fee, but there isn't any mention of that for organizers. Clearly a poor communication issue.

The Bunratty Masters section where Sam Collins can get a GM title has been unnoticed and unadvertised by the ICU and this ruling is an attack on this event. If the ICU were advertising this event and doing some hard work, this ruling may be justified. But at the moment, the ICU can't even get someone to do ICU signups at tournaments.
    What I have heard is that Disciplinary actions might be taken against individuals who sabotage the ICU . That might not be true but lets see.

So organizers not complying or are you suggesting posters going against the ICU?

Article 10. THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

10.2 The Executive Committee shall have the power to make amend or repeal from time to time all such bye-laws regulations and standing orders consistent with this Constitution as it shall think expedient for the management and well being of the Union. It alone shall exercise the powers of the Union to award national chess or other titles connected with Irish Chess titles and to recommend to FIDE the award of FIDE titles.

• Advertisement

Article 10. THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

10.2 The Executive Committee shall have the power to make amend or repeal from time to time all such bye-laws regulations and standing orders consistent with this Constitution as it shall think expedient for the management and well being of the Union. It alone shall exercise the powers of the Union to award national chess or other titles connected with Irish Chess titles and to recommend to FIDE the award of FIDE titles.
    10. Foreign players whose ordinary residence is outside the island of Ireland shall not be subject to payment of any fee or subscription to the ICU for participating in Irish tournaments (other than the Irish Chess Championships), upon production of proof that they are affiliated to another national body which is a member of FIDE.

If the ICU executive can't change their website and bye-laws in 6 days, don't expect tournaments to comply either.

Maybe we can not because we do not have control of the website - news soon and sanctions! Cant say much now

10.2 says it all and cover all !

Maybe we can not because we do not have control of the website - news soon and sanctions! Cant say much now

But the executive clearly have control of the website..... The chairman has been posting things.

Why not post that you don't have control of the website? and why? And why not post that point 10 of the bye-laws is no longer in place but will be changed when control of the website is regained?

Why aren't members informed? Honestly this is starting to look pathetic and petty. One of the worst executive in years if they can't even post things on the website correctly!

Gerry posted and removed so I agree with you

• Advertisement

Since announcing the decision to strictly apply the above policy with effect from 1 February 2015, a number of concerns about its operational impact have been expressed to the ICU Executive by tournament organisers. Having regard to these concerns, the Executive has decided to:
    • defer the implementation of the decision; and
    • establish a working group representative of the ICU Executive and tournament organisers to examine all of the issues involved and to report back to the ICU Executive with recommendations/options for the implementation of the policy.
      The terms of reference and the membership of the working group will be posted on the website in due course.

I hope the executive are transparent in the future and let people know what's going on. It's insane they thought 6 days and changing how tournaments operate would ever be a good idea without input from tournament organizers (or proper notification).

But at least they admitted they were wrong instead of attempting to enforce a poorly thought out ruling.

It seems the tournament organisers don't live in a house of straw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

To have one GM at tournament cost from 500e to 1000e depends on traveling cost and condition .

Just as a matter of interest - could you break down how exactly you've been spending this amount on a GM? Those are pretty generous conditions you're proposing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

For the GM norm tournament I would guess that amount is quite small if you were to include expenses.

Professional player who will be in Ireland for 6 days(minimum) putting their rating on the line etc. What would you expect to pay a professional in any field for 6 days work?

For the GM norm tournament I would guess that amount is quite small if you were to include expenses.

Professional player who will be in Ireland for 6 days(minimum) putting their rating on the line etc. What would you expect to pay a professional in any field for 6 days work?

Depends on what way you are accounting for a GM to come over. If the hotel provides a free room, that is technically income and expenditure so that does technically have a cost. However, my understanding from Chess Coach of bringing over, was an appearance fee not accommodation, food, travel and entry.

For a random FIDE GM Norm tournament, this is about right for a random GM. However, Chess Coach said that €500 was given to Bunratty for the last 5 years and implied that it was used to bring GMs over. The Masters tournament hasn't been running for 5 years and Bunratty builds quite the positive relationship with the people they invite over so it could be/is lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

From icu.ie:
    Since announcing the decision to strictly apply the above policy with effect from 1 February 2015, a number of concerns about its operational impact have been expressed to the ICU Executive by tournament organisers. Having regard to these concerns, the Executive has decided to:

- defer the implementation of the decision; and
    - establish a working group representative of the ICU Executive and tournament organisers to examine all of the issues involved and to report back to the ICU Executive with recommendations/options for the implementation of the policy.

The terms of reference and the membership of the working group will be posted on the website in due course.
    Those of us who like a good ould whinge can choose from the following topics:
    - Committees, are they inefficient and unreliable?
    - Whose friends will get on this working group?
    - Typical ICU, flip-flopping like a fish out of water in the glare of GOP attack ads.

along with all of the regulars topics of complaint!

mikhail wrote: »
    along with all of the regulars topics of complaint!
    Oooh, does that include my favorite one?

- Fecking boards.ie, it's all their fault, worst thing ever to happen to Irish Chess, serious chess players don't go there, they're all over on the fecalbook page...

Advertisement