Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first bow

Options
  • 24-01-2015 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all.I've been doing archery now roughly for a year and have always borrows my mates recurve 30lb bow but am ready to buy my own.I enjoyed shooting a longbow a while back but as a "first" bow I actually buy myself would it be recommended or not? Also would an arrow shelf be worth while or not on the longbow? Its the traditional bows I'm more interested in :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

If you go to fly bow in Mayo you will be able to try all kinds of traditional bows.

Are you a member of any of the organisations (AI, IFAF,SIFA) or spoken to anyone from them?

Any one of them would be able to give you excellent help, training, advice and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Here he is can highly recommend flybow he has everything you will ever need in his shop http://www.flybowshop.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lordspectre

Midnight64 wrote: »
    If you go to fly bow in Mayo you will be able to try all kinds of traditional bows.

Are you a member of any of the organisations (AI, IFAF,SIFA) or spoken to anyone from them?

Any one of them would be able to give you excellent help, training, advice and experience.

Hey bud
    Thanks for getting back to me. Ye I'm a member of a club here for the last 11 months now and am getting mixed suggestions on a first bow.some are telling me go for a recurve bow only for my first bow and some are saying to for a longbow if that's what you like so kind of indecisive.personally I'd prefer a longbow to start off as my "own" first bow but wonder if it would hinder my training over getting a modern recurve(with arrow shelf).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

Hey bud
    Thanks for getting back to me. Ye I'm a member of a club here for the last 11 months now and am getting mixed suggestions on a first bow.some are telling me go for a recurve bow only for my first bow and some are saying to for a longbow if that's what you like so kind of indecisive.personally I'd prefer a longbow to start off as my "own" first bow but wonder if it would hinder my training over getting a modern recurve(with arrow shelf).

For training I would suggest learning everything with a club recurve bow. Once you want to buy yourself then get something you want as it is your money and you will have to be happy with it. I know the first part does not apply, but hope this helps a little. (my pov) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Hey bud

You have to realise that there are significantly different aspects to the shooting style for each bow. I shoot ELBA, recurve and compound and have to switch and remember to switch!!

If you have been shooting regularly for a year then you will probably have a good idea of which route you want to take. The trick would be to try a few before you decide on a particular style and speak to as many people as you can.

"Try everything once and if you like it try it at least twice!!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Each step of development, from English Longbow to American Flat Bow (also called 'long bow' in IFAA) with shelf to metal handled recurve cut past centre, made tuning and shooting easier. You could start with any but I'd suggest spending some time with a modern recurve before going to types where exact form is more critical and where you may have to adapt to it as it can't adapt to you.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement