Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd Year Science Subjects

• 13-08-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

So we we're emailed out subjects a while back. When we were choosing I just put in order of which I prefered and the subjects I was given are:

- Anatomy
    - Zoology
    - Microbiology

These are the three subjects I'm most interested in, but I'm just wondering if I've ****ed myself over by not choosing Physiology and Pharma to go along with Anatomy, or do the subject streams (i.e Medical, Natural...) matter that much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You made the best choice - picking the subjects you actually like. For 3rd year you'll get to carry two of these on as full subjects, and one half. Final year you keep on whichever you'd like to have your degree in (assuming you have the marks).

If you want a degree in Anatomy, it doesn't matter what other subjects you did in 2nd or 3rd year - If you've picked subjects you like, you have a better chance of doing well in the exams (which in turn contributes to a better grade in your degree).

While Physiology and pharma can link up well with Anatomy if you want a really broad understanding, it's really not necessary, nor will it hinder you from doing any post-graduate study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

You're better off choosing the subjects you are most interested in, looks like you have a good combination to me. If you're not happy with them you are allowed to change during the first week but I doubt there'll be any places left in pharmacology or physiology.
    You made the best choice - picking the subjects you actually like. For 3rd year you'll get to carry two of these on as full subjects, and one half. Final year you keep on whichever you'd like to have your degree in (assuming you have the marks).

If you want a degree in Anatomy, it doesn't matter what other subjects you did in 2nd or 3rd year - If you've picked subjects you like, you have a better chance of doing well in the exams (which in turn contributes to a better grade in your degree).

While Physiology and pharma can link up well with Anatomy if you want a really broad understanding, it's really not necessary, nor will it hinder you from doing any post-graduate study.

Third year biological subjects are 30 credits now (zoology being the only exception at 20) so most people do two full subjects, or one full subject if you choose EOS, Chemistry, Physics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Third year biological subjects are 30 credits now (zoology being the only exception at 20) so most people do two full subjects, or one full subject if you choose EOS, Chemistry, Physics etc.

Wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense alright. Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Hi conorc94, I know this might be a bit of a rude question to ask but how good were your grades , I'm looking at doing anatomy physiology and biochem this year but I know that anatomy and physiology are really competitive to get into! I'll probably on,y get B's in my subjects , I might scrap an A in one or two and was wondering would this be good enough?

Advertisement